Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 136 of 420 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,200 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    I think wuf is slightly less off base than where the rest of you peg him.

Weren't there a good number of fighters from the traditional movie martial art disciplines fighting in MMA in it's infancy... but they mostly just got pwned by guys BJJ guys?
    yeah but I'd say we're not giving wuf credit for being royce gracie either
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    Do you guys think it's possible for a human to beat a well trained military attack dog? The human can have whatever reasonable skills you want them to in this scenario, they can even be wufwugy. My suspicion is it's not possible though.
    If it's large enough, then a resounding no, but if I have enough of a size advantage then maybe. The main reason for this is that most, if not all, trained attack dogs go for limbs. They're not there to kill, but to encumber

Somebody trained to defeat these animals could probably do it with regularity. It would involve something like feeding the animal one arm while jamming your fingers down its eye socket. Or perhaps there is a better technique that would get the dog off its legs and thus unable to generate much power, but I don't know what that would be.

I've even heard of men killing grizzlies and lions by jamming their hands down the beasts throats. Can't verify it though.
    I think wuf is slightly less off base than where the rest of you peg him.

Weren't there a good number of fighters from the traditional movie martial art disciplines fighting in MMA in it's infancy... but they mostly just got pwned by guys BJJ guys?
    Yes there was a lot of this. The short of it is that in order for strikers to have a chance, they needed to learn enough defensive grappling

Joe Rogan used to be one of the highest level Tae Kwon Do practitioners in the country, and he tells a story where he sparred with a good boxer (not top level, but good) and got his ass handed to him. He says that's when he learned TKD never taught him much about fighting even though he and everybody else believed it did.

I'm not a good grappler, but I have enough wrestling background and size/strength/agility to not lose to people who don't have that
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    yeah but I'd say we're not giving wuf credit for being royce gracie either
    He would kick my ass and make it look easy. I've said what I've said about wannabes like Seagal, not legit combat athletes like a Gracie
    yup yup, did not at all mean to suggest you'd said/meant anything like that
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I'm not a good grappler, but I have enough wrestling background and size/strength/agility to not lose to people who don't have that
    Wrestling is a massively incomplete ground-fighting art, much like TKD is massively incomplete for striking. A lot of hapkido schools teach groundfighting. Chuck norris has a brown belt in BJJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    Chuck norris has a brown belt in BJJ.
    I didnt know that. It could be one of those honorary ones like the kinds the Nogueira brothers put in Happy Meals. But anyways, my point was partially to pick on the old guys. Dude is like 70.
    You don't want to fight Norris, even now. His martial arts prowess is legit.

Norris was discharged in August 1962. He worked for the Northrop Corporation and opened a chain of Karate schools including a storefront school in his then-hometown of Torrance on Hawthorne Boulevard. Norris' official website lists celebrity clients at the schools; among them Steve McQueen, Chad McQueen, Bob Barker, Priscilla Presley, Donny Osmond and Marie Osmond.
    Norris was defeated in his first two tournaments, dropping decisions to Joe Lewis and Allen Steen and three matches at the International Karate Championships to Tony Tulleners. By 1967 Norris had improved enough that he scored victories over the likes of Lewis, Skipper Mullins, Arnold Urquidez, Victor Moore, Ron Marchini, and Steve Sanders. In early 1968, Norris suffered the tenth and last loss of his career, losing an upset decision to Louis Delgado. On November 24, 1968, he avenged his defeat to Delgado and by doing so won the Professional Middleweight Karate champion title, which he held for six consecutive years.[9] In 1969, he won Karate's triple crown for the most tournament wins of the year, and the Fighter of the Year award by Black Belt Magazine.
    Norris made history in 1990 when he was the first Westerner in the documented history of Tae Kwon Do to be given the rank of 8th Degree Black Belt Grand Master.[13] On July 1, 2000, Norris was presented the Golden Lifetime Achievement Award by the World Karate Union Hall of Fame. In 1999, Norris was inducted into the Martial Arts History Museum's Hall of Fame [49]
    Dogs don't lose much by having their legs off the ground if they have a hold anywhere on your body. Their torso and neck is where a lot of their musculature is, and they torque their body in a shark like motion, flinging you around and tearing at your flesh without even being in contact with the ground.
    Dogs don't lose much by having their legs off the ground if they have a hold anywhere on your body. Their torso and neck is where a lot of their musculature is, and they torque their body in a shark like motion, flinging you around and tearing at your flesh without even being in contact with the ground.
    That's if they're hanging. If they're on the ground and dont have feet beneath them, they lose tons of leverage and power. Also, I've heard that if you can hold a dog's neck on the ground, it cant even get back to its feet because it requires position and momentum from the neck in order to do so.

Dogs generate their power mainly by clasping mouth then pushing against the ground with hind legs. While some breeds have extremely dense necks, they can't generate anywhere close to their peak power without their legs firmly planted
    alright but what if you're attacked by a kitten
    i would fuck that kitten up. you think im joking? you dont fucking know house of pain
    This guy keeps it real as fuck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgDhDa4HHo
    stanhope rules
    i would fuck that kitten up. you think im joking? you dont fucking know house of pain
    Fucking naive internet warriors. Have you never seen the kind of damage a kitten can do? shit gets infected and the next thing you know you're dead.
    stanhope rules
    yeah but I like his older stuff better /hipster

his acts became frighteningly darker recently. still funny tho.
    This cant be real. America is so unbearably sexually repressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJpAWTT_lFE
    why, because they didn't insta answer "wanking"?
    I didnt know that. It could be one of those honorary ones like the kinds the Nogueira brothers put in Happy Meals. But anyways, my point was partially to pick on the old guys. Dude is like 70.
    I still think, as a general rule, anyone with considerable martial arts training and experience would generally kick the shit out of someone without it. That includes old men with lots of experience against young men with none. The fact the you wrestled a bit when you was younger does not offset years of training.

Random story about martial arts number 2. My sister, who is about as placid and passive as they come, once got attacked by 3 guys and 2 girls when she was 18. She is a black belt in karate. She is not particularly tough and this was the first time she had ever been in a real fight. She ended up q bit battered and bruised herself, but the other guys were far worse off and she walked away from it the clear winner with her attackers eventually backing off. I think the muscle memory of all that training in regard to blocking, counter attacking and being able to create far greater power in an attack than someone who isn't trained just gives you an edge that simple aggression and a small amount of training in very basic fighting concepts can't beat.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    First, don't front like you're the only guy that knows jump around and second, I got a kitten a couple of weeks ago and I've had more cuts and scratches in the last fortnight than I can count. He's a vicious little shit who attacks anything that moves, and almost anything that doesn't.

Walking barefoot or bare legged around the house is a dangerous game, it's scary.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Always strive to squat deep, your knees will thank you for it.
    Sorry to bring back an old topic, but any advice for someone starting out squatting?
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    Random martial arts related story:

I did both judo and karate as a kid, every year an old Japanese gazillionth Dan karate dude called kato would come over for grading. The lessens took place in a sports centre that had a gym and lots of body builder types. One year, kato was having a drink in the bar after grading with the club manager and 3 bigish body builder guys in their 20s were having a few beers and started mouthing off that this little old man wasn't that tough and they all cone over to him and one takes a swing at him. In about 5 seconds all 3 were on the floor in pain, one of them having literally flown across the room and over the pool table. The bar erupted in cheers and kato calmly walks out. Was pretty fucking cool.
    I still think, as a general rule, anyone with considerable martial arts training and experience would generally kick the shit out of someone without it. That includes old men with lots of experience against young men with none. The fact the you wrestled a bit when you was younger does not offset years of training.

Random story about martial arts number 2. My sister, who is about as placid and passive as they come, once got attacked by 3 guys and 2 girls when she was 18. She is a black belt in karate. She is not particularly tough and this was the first time she had ever been in a real fight. She ended up q bit battered and bruised herself, but the other guys were far worse off and she walked away from it the clear winner with her attackers eventually backing off. I think the muscle memory of all that training in regard to blocking, counter attacking and being able to create far greater power in an attack than someone who isn't trained just gives you an edge that simple aggression and a small amount of training in very basic fighting concepts can't beat.
    video or it never happened
    The first was in the late 80s, I was 8 I think, no video phones back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Sorry to bring back an old topic, but any advice for someone starting out squatting?
    Put a bar on your shoulders/traps with hand spacing that is close but still comfortable

squat down and up keeping 3 important concepts/cues in mind: 1) keep a strong arch in the lower back, 2) CHEST UP which is actually more of an upper back cue, 3) knees out

breathing is probably best done ONLY at the top of the movement (deep breath and hold it via valsalva maneuver), although a tsss through the sticking point isn't unheard of.

As far as easily getting into a proper position, 1) look into proper weightlifting shoes (I use VS Athletics weightlifting shoes although the heel is higher than some people like, and yes they look awesome), and 2) do some mobility work. squat stretch is a good one: http://www.stack.com/images/magazine...0000003252.jpg try to get a little lower than that, and you might need some help with that initially, by holding onto something in front of you, or having a partner or an object behind you. There are other areas to target depending on your specific needs e.g. ankles. And of course, just hitting proper depth squats will stretch you out like perhaps nothing else will for that exercise.

There are a lot of ways to set up programming if that's what you were looking for.
    The first was in the late 80s, I was 8 I think, no video phones back then.
    Are we sure that this wasn't actually a scene from a movie? I'm not saying it couldn't happen-- it is actually the more believable of the two stories.
    a friend is licensed as a professional fighter (i think his specialities are thai kick boxing and jujitsu?) and as he came back to his car some douchebag was in the process of stealnig his car radio. gave the guy the asswhooping he deserved, then later got a letter saying he's being sued for using his skills without just cause, and the guy won the case.
    Depends what you mean by "asswhooping", if he completely battered the guy then he deserves it really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    First, don't front like you're the only guy that knows jump around and second, I got a kitten a couple of weeks ago and I've had more cuts and scratches in the last fortnight than I can count. He's a vicious little shit who attacks anything that moves, and almost anything that doesn't.

Walking barefoot or bare legged around the house is a dangerous game, it's scary.
    d'awwwe. he sounds like a sweetie. i wanna be his frannnnnn.

also - fortnight.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    i'm not judging one way or another, it wouldn't surprise me if he had taken it further than justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    a friend is licensed as a professional fighter (i think his specialities are thai kick boxing and jujitsu?) and as he came back to his car some douchebag was in the process of stealnig his car radio. gave the guy the asswhooping he deserved, then later got a letter saying he's being sued for using his skills without just cause, and the guy won the case.

ugh. that's ridiculously stupid and fucked. sorry if you're stealing shit, you get what's coming to you, even if it's a person that knows how to beat the absolute shit out of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    ugh. that's ridiculously stupid and fucked. sorry if you're stealing shit, you get what's coming to you, even if it's a person that knows how to beat the absolute shit out of you.
    No it's not, it's not up to someone in the public to decide the punishment for a crime, especially when they will be angry at what's happening. Imagine how fucked up society would be if people could dish out their own punishments for any crime. Sorry, I'm going to have to set you on fire because you were driving with wet shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    d'awwwe. he sounds like a sweetie. i wanna be his frannnnnn.

also - fortnight.
    Actually he's really affectionate when he's not in hunt kill die mode, we love him

Yeah I wasn't sure about fortnight when I wrote it actually, so it's interesting that you picked up on it. I shoulda said couple of weeks.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    @ lukie, I actually called my dad to check the legitimacy of the first story. Turns out I wasn't in the bar when it happened, I was on an arcade game in the next room, but he was there and it did happen as I said. The dude who flew over the pool table was kicked over it. No other details but this was over 20 yrs ago. Odd how I remember it as if I was there, although it does feel vague.
    @ lukie, I actually called my dad to check the legitimacy of the first story. Turns out I wasn't in the bar when it happened, I was on an arcade game in the next room, but he was there and it did happen as I said. The dude who flew over the pool table was kicked over it. No other details but this was over 20 yrs ago. Odd how I remember it as if I was there, although it does feel vague.
    Lots of memories you have as a child will actually have been events that took place which have heard been spoke about and you have filled the rest in yourself. Very few will be anywhere near exact. Can't remember what it's called though, I found out about it a while ago because my sister does it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    No it's not, it's not up to someone in the public to decide the punishment for a crime, especially when they will be angry at what's happening. Imagine how fucked up society would be if people could dish out their own punishments for any crime. Sorry, I'm going to have to set you on fire because you were driving with wet shoes.
    I'm not saying that people should punish other people as they see fit, at all. When it comes to things where you're protecting yourself, people you care about, or your shit, you should be able to defend yourself, people you care about, or your shit.

And - no, not fucking kill someone, ldo. Just get them where they will not be able to leave the scene of the crime, without hurting them too bad. Like, nothing that could potentially fuck them up hardcore.

Jus' saying, if some mother fucker comes in my kitchen and starts fucking with my cookin' whatnots, they might get a pot of boiling water thrown at them. Don't fuck wit my kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    Actually he's really affectionate when he's not in hunt kill die mode, we love him

Yeah I wasn't sure about fortnight when I wrote it actually, so it's interesting that you picked up on it. I shoulda said couple of weeks.

fortnight is like two weeks, i think, so it works.

also - i wanna kitty. when i get a place within the next year, i'mma adopt one from a local shelter. then gizmo will have a frand. he's spoiled as fuuuuuck, and looks kinda' like a kitty, but is a maltese. i rly rly rly rly rly wanna munchkin kitty. then again i really wanna mini white tiger. and a elephant. and lioness. and giraffe. and hippo. and cow. oh, and a pig. basically i just want a farm of mini animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    Put a bar on your shoulders/traps with hand spacing that is close but still comfortable

squat down and up keeping 3 important concepts/cues in mind: 1) keep a strong arch in the lower back, 2) CHEST UP which is actually more of an upper back cue, 3) knees out

breathing is probably best done ONLY at the top of the movement (deep breath and hold it via valsalva maneuver), although a tsss through the sticking point isn't unheard of.

As far as easily getting into a proper position, 1) look into proper weightlifting shoes (I use VS Athletics weightlifting shoes although the heel is higher than some people like, and yes they look awesome), and 2) do some mobility work. squat stretch is a good one: http://www.stack.com/images/magazine...0000003252.jpg try to get a little lower than that, and you might need some help with that initially, by holding onto something in front of you, or having a partner or an object behind you. There are other areas to target depending on your specific needs e.g. ankles. And of course, just hitting proper depth squats will stretch you out like perhaps nothing else will for that exercise.

There are a lot of ways to set up programming if that's what you were looking for.
    I want to say most of this is correct and great advice. A few things that need to be cleared up.

Knees must always be in line with your toes. Never bow or buck your knees. Toes out, knees out.

DON'T try to keep your knees behind your toes. This is bro science of squatting 101. Just try squatting to the floor without any weight. You can't naturally keep your back straight, chest out and knees behind your toes. Your hip to knee is longer than your heel to knee because of the angle of the lower leg.

If you can't squat to the floor and have your calves touch your hamstrings without your heels coming off the floor do not try do do this with weight. I don't like having lifted heels on shoes or anything that helps this unless you are working on the ROM at the ankle while still squatting. Your goal should be to be able to squat barefoot ( I use vibrams on leg days) and keep the heel down, then I don't care what you do to refocus the lift to isolate muscles.

Start light, work up. You will be better off and far ahead in a year if you work on lifting at the bottom of the squat instead of trying to get heavy and then get lower. This is proven.

Lastly, Lukie said arch, but the actual goal is a neutral spine. Our spines have a natural arch, maintain the same arch throughout the movement. The only time your lower spine should come close to being straight is at the very bottom of the lift. It's just some peoples range and hip positioning that causes this.
    WORKING OUT IS HARD JYMS!

I just started again yesterday -.- BUT! I dragged kiwimark back onto the wagon with me! So it's all good. Wish I didn't let my inner fat kid control my life for the last 5 months. The point here running seems like a chore now! Not that it ever didn't but fffff it's hard now.
    Running is hard.

FWIW, abs are made in the kitchen.
    Running is hard.

FWIW, abs are made in the kitchen.
    Why you say this?

I eat nothing but garbage and I refuse to change my habits because garbage is delicious.
    Where I'm going with this is. Sugar is delicious. Water is bland and carbs taste delightful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    Why you say this?

I eat nothing but garbage and I refuse to change my habits because garbage is delicious.
    you can still get ripped on garbage, just eat less of it. however, the higher you make your protein content (meat), the easier it will be
    do squat form like this. if doing back squats, just imagine instead of the bar in front of your neck on your deltoids, it's behind your neck on your traps. also elbows under bar for back squats instead of in front of bar like in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K837A...ailpage#t=202s
    I want to say most of this is correct and great advice. A few things that need to be cleared up.

Knees must always be in line with your toes. Never bow or buck your knees. Toes out, knees out.

DON'T try to keep your knees behind your toes. This is bro science of squatting 101. Just try squatting to the floor without any weight. You can't naturally keep your back straight, chest out and knees behind your toes. Your hip to knee is longer than your heel to knee because of the angle of the lower leg.

If you can't squat to the floor and have your calves touch your hamstrings without your heels coming off the floor do not try do do this with weight. I don't like having lifted heels on shoes or anything that helps this unless you are working on the ROM at the ankle while still squatting. Your goal should be to be able to squat barefoot ( I use vibrams on leg days) and keep the heel down, then I don't care what you do to refocus the lift to isolate muscles.

Start light, work up. You will be better off and far ahead in a year if you work on lifting at the bottom of the squat instead of trying to get heavy and then get lower. This is proven.

Lastly, Lukie said arch, but the actual goal is a neutral spine. Our spines have a natural arch, maintain the same arch throughout the movement. The only time your lower spine should come close to being straight is at the very bottom of the lift. It's just some peoples range and hip positioning that causes this.
    Yeah knees should track roughly over toes. A good start for foot positioning on a raw full squat is heels at roughly shoulder width and toes anywhere from slightly out to maybe 30 degrees out. Ideally they should track directly over toes but a slight deviation isn't going to mangle you.

The only thing I don't really agree with is the part about how if you can't do a perfect air squat then you shouldn't try a back squat with weight. That might sound counterintuitive but I've found that a small amount of weight, say 45-95lb (divide by 2.2 to get kilos and stop bitching), actually helps people get into the proper positions. Actually a 'perfect' air squat is very difficult to achieve for people with some anthropometries (long legs, short torso.) It is fine for your back to round in an air squat but unacceptable in a weighted squat. You're not going to hurt yourself in the former.

Whether or not to use a heeled shoe is largely an issue of personal goals and preferences.

Also while I technically agree on the last part in regards to keeping a neutral spine, I don't think I have ever seen someone over arch or over extend their back in a squat. I have seen countless people dangerously round both lower and upper back. But I agree, going to the opposite extreme isn't something to aim for either.
    do squat form like this. if doing back squats, just imagine instead of the bar in front of your neck on your deltoids, it's behind your neck on your traps. also elbows under bar for back squats instead of in front of bar like in video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K837A...ailpage#t=202s
    No human on earth is going to be able to get that vertical in a back squat. You're looking at an ideally built for weightlifting (short femurs, long torso) weightlifter with heeled shoes doing front squats.
    i honestly think that newbs should train front squats because it teaches proper form better than back squats. they can be a problem if wrists are not flexible enough, but that can be fixed. people dont like them because lower weights have to be used, and going high rep is difficult once you have to suck in air and keep your delts taut and high and carry the load properly. squats should probably never be high rep anyways unless you know what you're doing

ive never maxed on back squats because failure means your back falls forward, which can be very injurious or even life threatening. maxing out on front squats is probably not much of an issue since the moment the weight is too heavy it just dumps itself, so to speak
    No human on earth is going to be able to get that vertical in a back squat. You're looking at an ideally built for weightlifting (short femurs, long torso) weightlifter with heeled shoes doing front squats.
    the point is to be as close to that as possible
    i honestly think that newbs should train front squats because it teaches proper form better than back squats. they can be a problem if wrists are not flexible enough, but that can be fixed. people dont like them because lower weights have to be used, and going high rep is difficult once you have to suck in air and keep your delts taut and high and carry the load properly. squats should probably never be high rep anyways unless you know what you're doing

ive never maxed on back squats because failure means your back falls forward, which can be very injurious or even life threatening. maxing out on front squats is probably not much of an issue since the moment the weight is too heavy it just dumps itself, so to speak
    Good points... I doubt your were responding so quickly to my last post but I think goblet squats are a good way to teach a beginner good squat form. It's pretty much like a front squat only you are holding a dumbell or some other type of weight in front of you with arms flexed http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/cm...at-483x300.jpg

It's incredibly easy to to teach and lets you hit the important positions etc. This guy should probably have toes and knees out more but otherwise looks good. He can get away with it because of his build (femurs and torso again) and how easy the exercise is to do.
    the point is to be as close to that as possible
    depending on the person's build, type of squat (and bar/weight position), type of shoe etc. it might not be possible to get close to that back angle

but I will begrudgingly agree based on the wording
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    Why you say this?

You should be able to make healthy meals that taste great. Anything less is due to laziness or not having any cooking skills (and really, following a recipe isn't hard, so it comes back to being lazy.)

that or you think that eating healthy means snacking on tofu and oatmeal. At that point I can't help you.

Also if you love overly processed sugary/carby meals, as your next post suggests, and you lead an inactive lifestyle, you're probably not going to have the abs. Oh well.
    By the way jyms, the comment about dividing pounds by 2.2 to get kilos wasn't directed at you, just people who complain about the admittedly inferior imperial system in general.
    Yeah I'm just going to sneak another post in and see if anybody notices.
    some back squats from a weightlifting team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKIpeI4Tbc

some get a bit wonky as they are obviously going heavy, and the squats are most likely done after a weightlifting session.

goddamn chick hits a rock bottom set of 5 at 115kg/253.5lb. and she isn't fat.
    1:42 is perfect at the bottom. Look at where his knees are, his head is down, chest out. But because it's heavy his heels do come off the floor as part of a small bounce because he's driving hard. chicks form is rock solid.
    You should be able to make healthy meals that taste great.
    This is true, but it doesn't give healthy meals that "god damn that hit the spot" factor that seems to be greater than the sum of all parts of taste, texture, etc. of garbage. Which I guess probably comes a direct result of the chemical cocktail that then also goes on to mess up your shit. That's the addiction (used loosely) that's a bitch to break imo
    This is true, but it doesn't give healthy meals that "god damn that hit the spot" factor that seems to be greater than the sum of all parts of taste, texture, etc. of garbage. Which I guess probably comes a direct result of the chemical cocktail that then also goes on to mess up your shit. That's the addiction (used loosely) that's a bitch to break imo
    It's things like pizza, pasta, and burger and fries that are like this. I would argue that there is a hefty amount of "hit the spot" foods that are quite healthy, they just have to focus on being meat/fat/vegetable instead of grain/meat/fat. It's also a bit more expensive to eat healthy. Meat costs money, bread doesn't

I could be happy eating hefty steaks, hefty stir-fry, and hefty salads every day of my life. With a hefty burrito now and then. Just pile on the meat, flavor with sauces and spices and vegetables, and you'll find that you can satisfy your tastes while losing pounds
    The problem with how we cook though is we will eat some shit take out meal or sit in some food chain and think 2800 calories tastes the shit. But when we cook at home and have meat and veggies we think 500 calories tastes like ass. Try learning to use seasoning, spices, cooking techniques and even using things like butter and make 700 calories taste fucking awesome. You don't have to think one or the other.

Also, if you eat great home cooked food for a few months you won't e able to stand the taste of your old favourites. Your taste buds will sensitize to fat on salt on fat on sugar foods
    Man those squats in the video are making me cringe. I injured myself so badly in the past from going so close to failure too often that I can't even stomach watching it anymore.

I would also argue that going close to failure like that is inherently bad and that you can get more out of lifts by using faster concentrics and slower eccentrics. Those guys in the video are pretty damn huge, but those poundages are still nothing like oly guys put up, and they never go anywhere near failure
    wait apparently those guys are oly, at least partially. i stick by my statement and might modify it to european oly, where they traditionally train a bit different than american while doing more weight too
    The problem with how we cook though is we will eat some shit take out meal or sit in some food chain and think 2800 calories tastes the shit. But when we cook at home and have meat and veggies we think 500 calories tastes like ass. Try learning to use seasoning, spices, cooking techniques and even using things like butter and make 700 calories taste fucking awesome. You don't have to think one or the other.

Also, if you eat great home cooked food for a few months you won't e able to stand the taste of your old favourites. Your taste buds will sensitize to fat on salt on fat on sugar foods
    Alton's episode on the diet is awesome, basically gospel to me
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    A lot of what he said about Breakfast and metabolism isn't true but is the belief amongst many in and out of the field of nutrition and fitness. It worked for him and that is great. The whole food swap or nutritionally dense vs calorie dense is key. I like Altons ideas about cooking though in general. Haven't seen his show on in Canada for some time.
    Man those squats in the video are making me cringe. I injured myself so badly in the past from going so close to failure too often that I can't even stomach watching it anymore.

I would also argue that going close to failure like that is inherently bad and that you can get more out of lifts by using faster concentrics and slower eccentrics. Those guys in the video are pretty damn huge, but those poundages are still nothing like oly guys put up, and they never go anywhere near failure
    Yeah it's one thing for a team involved in a strength sport like powerlifting or weightlifting to push towards failure. For someone who is just looking for some decent size/strength it's unnecessarily hard and dangerous. (edit: talking about back squatting)

I'm sure they do other squatting with faster concentrics and if nothing else, the competition lifts themselves are all about speed/power. However they still train their asses off to get their squat strength up. The ironic thing is that there are other people/groups that insist that Americans can't compete at the world level because they are training wrong and need to focus on getting stronger, yet your (very reasonable) view is the opposite. anyway...

wait apparently those guys are oly, at least partially. i stick by my statement and might modify it to european oly, where they traditionally train a bit different than american while doing more weight too
    Do they lift more weight because of their training methods or because of more numbers/better talent and better drugs/less stringent testing?
    Last edited by Lukie; 05-24-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-stir...-kitchn-171737

comes out better than the chinese restaurant down the street
    I've recently started eating healthier + bigger portions and not drank as much (the latter not being planned) and I don't understand why people would rather eat shit. I just had pan fried Mackerel, with chilli powder, pepper and lemon juice with rice and chopped tomatoes, I usually have a bit of lettuce with it too but not got any atm and that's so much nicer than almost any "shit" alternative I could have had instead. Only costs like £2 too.

Was doing deadlifts for the first time today, my form was surprisingly good considering it's the first time I'd done it. Only real problem was back bending sometimes, but I was doing some reps where it was right just need to work on my core strength a bit (which I am doing) and keep watching my form. Looking forward to Leg day on Sunday now.
    Yeah it's one thing for a team involved in a strength sport like powerlifting or weightlifting to push towards failure. For someone who is just looking for some decent size/strength it's unnecessarily hard and dangerous. (edit: talking about back squatting)

I'm sure they do other squatting with faster concentrics and if nothing else, the competition lifts themselves are all about speed/power. However they still train their asses off to get their squat strength up. The ironic thing is that there are other people/groups that insist that Americans can't compete at the world level because they are training wrong and need to focus on getting stronger, yet your (very reasonable) view is the opposite. anyway...

Do they lift more weight because of their training methods or because of more numbers/better talent and better drugs/less stringent testing?
    I think the drugs issue is a wash. Americans are using just as good of drugs as Europeans. Even in places where steroids aren't illegal, in certain circles, it's probably easier to get good juice in the states, if anything.

It could be that Europeans start their oly lifters earlier than Americans. It seems they do that, but I also don't think it's an issue. It's not like gymnastics where they need to be young and tiny to pull off stunts, and strength is something that can be developed in all sorts of ways, so somebody transitioning into oly at a later stage in life shouldn't be a problem. Still, it could be

What I think it is, which I said in my previous post, is that Americans love to stress the CNS way too much by going heavy. They think this translates into more strength, but it doesn't necessarily. Traditionally, Europeans do something like workout 25 times a week and focus on speed and form. This allows them to get as high of neuromuscular conditioning as possible without overly taxing themselves. But the moment you add in some heavy sessions where you're going near failure, you have to drop your frequency and volume by a ton in order to recover

That Pyrros Dimas video I posted is his actual workout. IIRC he would do that like 5 times a day or something. The amount of power his body learned to generate is better than anything I've seen from the "no pain no gain" ilk
    Here's one way to look at it: if you go to failure, then that means that the only rep that mattered is the failure rep. This is because every other rep was easier, and thus isn't providing you the benefit that the final rep does. So then take that logic and you find that all you should ever do is max singles. But it's easy to see that if you did that you wouldn't gain much strength and would only just injure yourself and get sick pretty much constantly. Even hardcores who love going to failure and doing maxes don't to it at that frequency

This means that it doesn't work the way I just suggest. It means the failure rep isn't the only one that matters. So then if we take failure out of the equation, we still get significant benefit. But if that's the case, then failure isn't necessary in the first place because we can just do something like up the volume of the non-failure reps while getting the same benefit

But it's even more than that. The evidence is very strong that failure is more harmful than beneficial. Knowledge of this isn't perfect, but it is somewhere around exerting power at 60-80% of max is most optimal. Honestly, I think the reason why it's at those percentages and not lower is because if you go lower, you've essentially changed form into a different activity. Imagine Dimas training with 40% of his max. He couldn't do it because the weight is too light in order to have proper form. His power exertion would decline in order to just keep the form. So basically this all shows that optimal weight range is the one where you can optimize both form and speed

Add in some slow eccentrics and you have as good of a training philosophy as I can think of.
    I just stumbled over this really old Vegas trip report involving hookers and blow on 2p2 by some dude called xx44. It's a bit long, but it's funny and worth a read if you've got 10 mins to kill.

Link to original post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/10...05/index4.html

This is my second time coming out to Vegas for the series. Last year was a blast, so I made sure I would be there this year.

Last week of June I take Jetblue from NY. Good flight, on time and an aisle seat with the middle seat empty. I get picked up from the airport by an old friend of mine who lives in Henderson. The plan was to stay with him until Monday, then stay at TI for the rest of my trip. I planned on playing a lot of the Venetian tourneys, so this works well.

My friend Jeff has been living here for 4 years, and loves it. He is a chain smoking, alcoholic with a gambling problem,but has the disposition of a golden retriever. He won't go to AA because he says "it's for quitters".

Of course when I arrive he wants to go str8 to the strip, the flight however has drained me and I convince him to drop me off (I guess I should point out Im OLD...37). Jeff comes back at 5am. He goes to sleep as I am waking up (it's 8 am to me). Now you may understand why I felt I would be unable to stay with him for 10 days.

Friday evening we head to the Venetian. I told Jeff I want to take him dinner, and Im craving Delmonico since last year. We get there at 7. He heads str8 to the poker room looking for a 2-5 game which he bellieves he is over-rolled for with $600. I failed to mention that Jeff has been able to live out here, gamble and party every day of the week that ends in "y", without a job. His family is loaded, but only gives him enough each month to live like a dog. How he does it, I dont know.

Anyway I head down to the poker room after being told no reservations until 10:30. Jeff is already on his second, double Ggoose with a splash of OJ, and down to $200. I am able to pry him off the table with the threat of "food court" if he doesnt do one of the things he's good at...we're seated in Delmon at 8:15 (no money changed hands).

After dinner I head down to see if a PLO game is starting in which I put down an indication of interest. They are setting up a table as I am walking in. I told Jeff to just give me an hour ( I have never played PLO live) and then we will leave. He asks me to stake him in a 2-5, of which I have no prob saying "no". "Throwing money away I tell him" not to mention he owes me $2k for about a year. I sit, he leaves to play penny slots for the free Greygooses. He has probably downed 7 by now.

A half hour later I realize that 5-5 PLO is a little bigger than I expected, and call Jeff's cellphone to tell him Im good to go. He says to find him at the BJ tables. I think wtf, Venetian doesnt have anything lower than $25.

I hear him before I see him. The drunken laughter, similar to that of Dudley Moore's Arthur, is emanating from just over the slot machines. I turn the corner and there is Jeff with a stack of blacks and purples!!! In 30 mins he went on a sick heater and turned $150>>>$9k. I think, this is just what a person like him needs in a city like this. Then realizing the half-life of this windfall is probably less than an hour. I grab 4 purples and say "we're even",no objection on his end. Somehow I am able to convince him to cash out, and we leave the Venetian, him $6500 richer, me $2000 found money.

Now for the reason I am posting. We leave under the guise that we're heading to the B. As I get onto I15, he says "where are you going". I tell him he will thank me in the morning that he still has money left. He commands me to turn around, lol.

In his apartment he says there is no way his Friday is over before midnight. I try to explain that $6500 and a fabulous steak is not necessarily a bad night; maybe I just dont get vegas.

I go upstairs preparing for bed, yes I know its only 12am and Im in vegas, but like I said Im old. I hear the car starting, great, I couldnt keep another drunk off the road.
    Jeff returns a half hour later. He said he went to Green Valley, but they were only spreading 1-2. Good now we sleep.
    However, he's sitting at the desk and takes something out of his pocket. It's a little bag that he opens and dumps the contents on the imitation wood desk,,,

Now when Jeff tells me that he rarely does blow, I sincerely believe him. He says that one of the his local buddies gave it to him at GV. Hey, if he wants to get zooted and be up until next week, thats on him.

Now I have done coke a handful of times and not since college. The idea of getting out of bed to do a few lines makes absolutly no sense. So of course when he says, "come on, I dont want to do this myself Ill feel like a degenerate", I say no and continue to say no even when the powder is shooting up my nose making a b-line to my brain.

WOW! The stuff I did in college must have been cut 20x, because the feeling I got could only be explained to someone has done some really good blow. Now what do we do?

After a 1/2 hour of mindless babble we both realize that we have to get out of his apartment. But what to do?
    I tell him that the kids these days talk about "hookers and blow" quote often, and they make it sound that it might be fun. In this condition sorting silverware would be fun.So the plan is to score more of this magic elixir, I tell him get a lot (wow was I fiending), get some escorts, and rent 2 hotel rooms.

We go online (such amateurs) and google escorts. We goto a site with pictures, and wow were these girls hot! I have just separated, so Im prety excited and Jeff hasnt been laid in over a year.

I get 2 rooms at a well known motel.Jeff calls Paris, not the city, but the hot blonde depicted on the site. "Is this Paris?" he asks. After confirming it was her, he gives the address and tells her to come meet him and I and bring a friend.

T-50mins and counting until go time.

I am able to convince him that a cab would be a better idea for the 10 min drive. We stop on the way and pick up A LOT of the stuff(about an 1/8), and are booked into the hotel a 1/2 hour after our call to Paris.

Since Jeff doesnt have a cc the rooms is under my real name, WTF!? Upstairs in the room I start getting nervous and tell him I dont want to do this (my first hooker). All coked up it probably sounded like; "ohnoIcantdothis callherbackcallherbackcancelitjustcallher." He says it will be "awesome", okay then thats what I needed to hear. I did manage in my tirade to convince him to let me have Paris, did I say how hot she was?

I go into the other room to setup shop. I dump my half into the soap dish and snort away. 5 min later I am boucing back in Jeffs room when there is a call from the desk. Paris is here they say. A knock at the door, I open it.

I guess she photographs really well, because this woman was 15 lbs. overweight, dark hair, dark eyes and I wouldnt do her if she paid me. The first thing I say is "where is your friend?". She says that she can handle both of us. Not a chance hun, get on the phone and make a call. Say she must be hot. After trying to explain how talented she is, she got the point and made tha call. "Paris" said the girl will be here in 25 mins. Sounds great, "cya jeff" I say as I exit the room. "wait, wait' is all I hear as the door closes.

Back to my room for some more of my powdered fun. I must admit at the time I dont think I have ever felt better. Just snorting line after line I felt the city was mine.
    After 10 mins I couldnt stay in the room any longer, so I go down to the lobby to wait for "skyler". I guess if you have a name like Paris or Skyler your career is pretty much laid out for you.

In the lobby it's just me and the night manager, Brian. Brian is a 19 yr old kid, grinding away for a few extra bucks a week. I initiate conversation that I thought was friendly, but Im sure from his POV it must have been "why the [censored] is this guy with glazed eyes and constantly biting his lip interupting my solitaire game to tell me the befits of eating fruit in season". Sensing this, I thank him for setting up the rooms on short notice, tip him 20 bucks and head outside for a smoke (BTW I am not a smoker).

Going back into the lobby I see somebody that could only be "Skyler" coming out of the elevator. She's genuinely cute. Hot body and a cute face. No corkscrew hair, bad skin/teeth or big nose, I am in love. We head upstairs and Im psyched.

In the room, the negotiations begin. Skyler says," So what do you want?". My reply, "I'll go for the full works, the whole $300 treatment". She smiles and tells me that is just for her to show up. Somehow she gets me to give her $800 for her to stay an hour and half. I am thankful that is all I brought with me, because the condition Im in she couldve walked out with the title to my condo. Still Im totally psyched.

I tell her I want her to shower first, she says if I do as well, mmmm ok. So I undress her and we hop into the shower. If she didnt know how totally coked out I was before, all she had to do was look down and find out. At this point my Adam's apple is the only way to distinguish that I am a man. Hookers and blow I now realize is supposed to be done in that order, uhoh.

She laughs and says that may be a problem, ya think? After scrubbing every inch of her body down 3x I reach for a towel. I should mention that she has gotten 3 call so far from her service. 1st to say shes hear,2nd that she has negotiated a price(she told them 600) and the 3rd just to say "mmhmm, yeah, okay".

We get on the bed, and my cell phone rings 4x. It's Jeff and I dont pick up. Then the room rings after the 3rd time I pickup, he saya he wants to see her and I hang up.

After 10 mins she and I both know that nothing is going to happen for me. I tell her not to worry, and I will be ready to go soon enough. She looked pleased. She asked for water, and starts getting her clothes on,,,wtf? She says she'll be rright back. Even in my condition I know she wouldnt be returning.

I tell her I gave her 800 bucks for 90 mins not 20. She's packing up when her phone rings, she starts saying "he wont let me leave" visions of Adabiese from OZ pops in my head, and I say "nice to have met you".

As she open my door Jeff is there. He looks at her, says something and she disappears into his room, Damn!!!

So alone in my room I figure okay might as well finish it. I dump whateva'a left, about a gram, onto the table and just start blowing away. After 4 monster lines, I realize I cant sit there. Its 4am, and I think it's best to call another girl.

I have no money so I call Jeff 5x,but he doesnt pick up. Igo to his room an knock, doesnt answer. I continue to knock, after what seemed 5 mins, he answers in just a shirt grosss. I tell him I need money and the phone number and I will leave him alone. He throws me his cell phone and a wad of 100's.

I go back to my room and call the number. A woman picks up, I say "Hi is this Martha?", she hesitates, then confirms she is actually Martha. Blah,blah,blah next girl is there a half hour later.

Her name is Brandi and looks likes somebody put her head in a vice, and stuck her on a 150 lb Mr Potato Head, but wtf she has nice eyes.

Now its like 5am and in the elevator I ask if Im the first or the last of the day, she say"last",,,god answer.

So back in my room, the phone calls start and the negotiating. She says she gets up to $2000. Im in no mood and say to her "Ill give you $400 for the hour". She trys to say something but I tell her its nonnegotiable. I give her $300 and rip the other bill in half telling her sh'ell receive the other half and maybe more at the end. She seemed happy.

So the same routine; into the shower, I look like I have a vag, onto the bed of 10 mins of nothing happening. I did get from her that her real name is Kelly and Im the first of the night b/c the ahole at the sierra turned her away. I ended up getting a 30 min massage, and Kelly was on her way with the complet $400.

Now at 6am I go into Jeffs room.It turns out he gave Paris $500 and Skyler $500 and they stayed a total of 45 mins. In total we $2200 to 2 ugly and one decent girl to looka t our shriveld up dicks for an hour.
    10 mins.
    Last edited by BennyLaRue; 05-24-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Did you read it 3 times?
    LOL Benny

A lot of what he said about Breakfast and metabolism isn't true but is the belief amongst many in and out of the field of nutrition and fitness. It worked for him and that is great. The whole food swap or nutritionally dense vs calorie dense is key. I like Altons ideas about cooking though in general. Haven't seen his show on in Canada for some time.
    Alton is the shit. I used to binge watch his cooking show. I admit I gave the breakfast thing reasonability bias, in the sense that it kind of makes sense. The important part is, as you point out, eating right rather than eating shit.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I've never heard of him, but he's doing an AMA on reddit atm for those interested:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ite_and_shoot/
    A link from the sms starts talking about pasta. And apparently..........

YOU CAN COOK PASTA IN JUST 1 MINUTE

If you soak it on cold water to hydrate it first. So if you're say creating a sauce or maybe some meat, you can just put the pasta in a pot of cold water and put it in the fridge while you prep other stiff and then it only takes a minute to cook.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/a...old-water.html
    A link from the sms starts talking about pasta. And apparently..........

YOU CAN COOK PASTA IN JUST 1 MINUTE

If you soak it on cold water to hydrate it first. So if you're say creating a sauce or maybe some meat, you can just put the pasta in a pot of cold water and put it in the fridge while you prep other stiff and then it only takes a minute to cook.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/a...old-water.html
    cool.
    I've never heard of him, but he's doing an AMA on reddit atm for those interested:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ite_and_shoot/
    Nice, you da man !

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Is a $500 blender worth it? Assuming daily smoothies and/or protein shakes. (Protein smoothies?)

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Everybody has their own means and needs. I would buy a vitamix before I would buy a gold-plated toilet for example.
    Last edited by Lukie; 05-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.