Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 299 of 420 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 22,351 to 22,425 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I can totally see that holding up in front of the labor board, ya. Good point.
    I would probably find a better way of putting it than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Seriously though, who the fuck knows he got the job because we liked the idea of working with a smoker? Him, me and Alex. None of the other candidates know, it's not like we fucking told them. We gave the job to Mike and bollocks to everyone else. That's life.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I think it was reggae that got us talking about weed. Something like "so... you like music... what kind of stuff?" ... "burning spear" ... "oh really, me too."
    Haha. I think there should be a law saying that all job interviews should be recorded and kept in the public record.
    If we were pulled up on it, we'd have obviously said that we felt he had the right personality for us to work easily with. Noone has any right to argue with our judgement in that regard. We hardly put it in writing why Mike actually got the job.

And seeing as this was well over a decade ago, and the cinema is now a different company altogether, I think I'm safe from litigation.
    ongies gonna ong
    Seriously though, who the fuck knows he got the job because we liked the idea of working with a smoker? Him, me and Alex. None of the other candidates know, it's not like we fucking told them. We gave the job to Mike and bollocks to everyone else. That's life.
    Ya like i said that doesn't seem like a standard interview protocol. Maybe 20 years ago, but not today, and definitely not where I work.
    If we were pulled up on it, we'd have obviously said that we felt he had the right personality for us to work easily with. Noone has any right to argue with our judgement in that regard. We hardly put it in writing why Mike actually got the job.

And seeing as this was well over a decade ago, and the cinema is now a different company altogether, I think I'm safe from litigation.
    I honestly think you're safe, ya.
    I honestly think you're safe, ya.
    I dunno, this could be a goldmine for some newly qualified punk of a lawyer to make a name for himself. I'm sure I've had some harsh things to say to JKDS in our WW games, he might hold a grudge.
    ongies gonna ong
    Would be funny if they were somehow reading this thread and went all apeshit 'cause they found out why they never got that job 10 years ago lol.
    I dunno, this could be a goldmine for some newly qualified punk of a lawyer to make a name for himself.
    Oh ya it'd be right up with with the Scopes-Monkey trial I'm sure. Better lay low for a few years Ong. Or at least consult a lawyer before you make any more posts.
    Sounds like a confession to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    Hahahaha
    My client has had so many drugs over the past 10 years and was intoxicated at the time of posting so his word can not be taken as creditable.

Just stars me $20 ong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    My client has had so many drugs over the past 10 years and was intoxicated at the time of posting so his word can not be taken as creditable.

Just stars me $20 ong.
    Yeah like I'm paying $20 for the defence... "my brain is frazzled due to 20 years smoking weed your honour and as such I can't believe anything I say, let alone a court".
    ongies gonna ong
    Just tell them you were speaking purely in hypotheticals with no regards for the facts. Then show them this forum and they'll see that is exactly what everyone is doing. Case dismissed.
    I think the only crime I've comitted is smoking weed, which I have already confessed to many times in writing. Good luck getting me extradited to Canada for that, JKDS.
    ongies gonna ong
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    You can't prove God doesn't exist.
    No, but you can prove he's an asshole lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BankItDrew View Post
    Yoo also can't prove I'm not god.
    ongies gonna ong
    Wow did I really spell you as yoo?
    ongies gonna ong
    Yoo also can't prove I'm not god.
    If I believe in you will I get 72 virgins? And I mean now, not when I die.

If so, you're my God. I'll even call you His Stonedness if u like.
    Wow did I really spell you as yoo?
    Yoo're probably the same God that made Trump say bigly.
    If I believe in you will I get 72 virgins? And I mean now, not when I die.

If so, you're my God. I'll even call you His Stonedness if u like.
    I don't make any promises. You'll get 72 something, but whether they're virgins or not depends on how closely they watch their drink when I'm around.
    ongies gonna ong
    Sorry about my godly rapey humour, a bit crass I know. I think I'd make a better devil than god to be honest, I get all dark when I think about what I'd do if I were god.
    ongies gonna ong
    I don't make any promises. You'll get 72 something, but whether they're virgins or not depends on how closely they watch their drink when I'm around.
    Good enough for me Yoor Stonedness!
    Sorry about my godly rapey humour, a bit crass I know. I think I'd make a better devil than god to be honest, I get all dark when I think about what I'd do if I were god.
    Ya to be perfectly honest it's pronouncements like that that make me question my faith.

p.s. can i still have the girls?
    Lol.

Check your history.

It depends on which God and what properties are ascribed to it.

Check out "God of the Gaps" to see how this has altered the asserted nature and properties of the Christian God over the years.
    Ya to be perfectly honest it's pronouncements like that that make me question my faith.

p.s. can i still have the girls?
    Oh you wanted girls?
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Lol.

Check your history.

It depends on which God and what properties are ascribed to it.

Check out "God of the Gaps" to see how this has altered the asserted nature and properties of the Christian God over the years.
    I vaguely remember some philosophy class from 20 years ago where a God that was omniscient, omnipotent and benevolent was shown to be logically impossible. The clearer memory is of the poor kid in the class who was almost crying as this got laid out for us- teacher pretty much shattered his world. Pretty sure he never took another philosophy class in his life after that one.
    Oh you wanted girls?
    Ya, girls (ok, 'women'). Preferably in about the 18-25 age range.

And come to think of it, wtf do I care if they're virgins? I just don't want them coming all mentally twisted and afraid to be touched because His Stonedness gave them some rough deity sex while they were pissed.

Yoo have to earn my bigly worship, it ain't free.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 09-28-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    I mean... don't you want jaded, slutty women and not timid, inexperienced virgins?

Or am I mistakenly thinking this is a sexual fantasy and not, IDK, some thing where you really enjoy spending (non-sexxy) time with emotionally immature and/or desperate women?
    I don't want no fucking worshippers, they're all idiots. I like the people who say "god's a cunt" and stuff like that. They're the ones I let into heaven. It's fucking ace here, pure anarchy.
    ongies gonna ong
    Lol, "call me a cunt, you're in" - the new church of Ong
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Or am I mistakenly thinking this is a sexual fantasy and not, IDK, some thing where you really enjoy spending (non-sexxy) time with emotionally immature and/or desperate women?
    Lol i get enough non-sexxy time with emotionally immature women at my job. I do like them, but it's not my idea of heaven.
    Speaking of work, a funny thing happened to me there today and I'm curious how other people would have handled it.

tl;dr version: Campus security guy tries to go all 'bad cop' on me for not showing him the respect he felt he was due. I felt I'd showed him the same respect as anyone else, was trying to help him in the first place, and so basically told him to fuck off. I didn't bother reporting him but I wonder if I should have.

long version: I'm leaving work today around 4. I'm walking towards my car and I pass this other parking lot where I see about 10 students kicking around these cans that were being given away on some promotion thing. The cans are bursting and making a huge mess and at one point they almost hit some girl walking by with a can. I think about saying something but don't really want to get involved with some idiots so I keep walking.

About 50 yards on I see this campus security guy parked in his van. He can't see the students from where he is so I decide to tell him what's up. I go up and he's looking at his phone, so I tap lightly on his window to get his attention. He rolls down his window and the first thing he says is "Don't tap on my window, that's incredibly rude. Stand there and wait for me instead." My first thought is to laugh but then I see he's 100% serious. So I realise right then that he's a tool.

I say something like "I'm sorry, but I just wanted to tell you that there's these students over there that are kicking cans around and making a big mess and it looks kind of dangerous." About halfway through saying this, I notice he's gone back to looking at his phone and is just ignoring me. So I get pissed and I say "But I guess you're more interested in looking at your phone than doing your job." and I start walking away.

Security guy leaps out of his car and yells at me "Hey, what's your name?!" LOL. I say "I don't have to tell you my name, mall cop. Do your job." and I keep walking. He then shouts something like "Pardon me?" and I ignore him and just keep walking.

Seriously, what the fuck is this guy's issue? I mean obviously he's got some problems because he can't make it as a real cop, but why try to get all power trippy on me like that? I can guarantee you if things get out of hand he's the one getting fired, not me.

Anyways, I leave Kojak and get in my car and a couple minutes later I drive by him, still sitting in his van looking at his phone. That's when I thought about reporting him because he obviously didn't give a shit whether there was something going on that needed his attention, but I don't have his name or the registration of his van so I'd just be going on a verbal description of him and where he was at the time. Also, I basically can't be bothered.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 09-28-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    Lol

I think you handled it well. Wouldn't report the guy.
    I don't see the harm in can kicking, this situition seems silly
    The cans were full, so apart from the fact that they're bursting and splattering all over the parking lot and whoever's car was in there, there's at least some chance of someone's car getting dented, or someone getting hurt or their clothes messed up if they got hit by a flying, spraying can.

Probably most people who saw it would say these guys were being tools. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Anyways, I thought campus security guy should at least go and talk to them rather than sit in his car playing tetris or whatever on his phone.
    And regardless of whether or not it was worth trying to alert security guy to what was happening, he certainly didn't have to be such a complete asshat the whole time. I mean it was comically bad the way he was acting all tough cop when all I was trying to do was help him do what he's there to do.

Imagine someone getting hurt by a flying can and security guy goes to the office and they say 'wtf, that was your area, what were you doing?'. "oh sorry sir I was demanding a lecturer give me his name because he tapped on my window and chuckled at me when i ordered him not to and then got pissed off at me when I ignored him after that."
    Campus? Bad cop? Mall cop? I thought you lived in England? Or are you Canada? I have a bad memory.
    ongies gonna ong
    From Canada, lived in US briefly, now live in England. Can't help myself speaking my dialect sometimes, sorry.
    Actually hadn't thought about what a campus is called here. College grounds? I honestly don't know lol.
    Lol

I think you handled it well. Wouldn't report the guy.
    Thanks. Ya I was probably never going to report him. A part of me just wanted to make him suffer for being such a knob.
    Actually hadn't thought about what a campus is called here. College grounds? I honestly don't know lol.
    Actually it could be campus. But mall cop annoyed me, that's far too American.
    ongies gonna ong
    that's far too American.
    Probably what that guy was thinking as soon as he heard my accent. "Some immigrant cunt coming here taking a lecturer job so i have to do this instead."
    Well.

Clearly attempting to alert security is fine.

But you started off the conversation wrong. Ignoring the window tapping thing (how rude that actually is I guess would depend on the extent of the tapping), it seems like you didnt even give him a chance. Was he on the phone with his supervisor at that particular moment? His hospitalized wife? Texting something important? Do you know it was entirely job unrelated? Was he using an app that guards need to use now to keep the campus safe? Was he logging a recent incident? Its hip to assume someone is playing on their phone, but you havent provided details on whether he was actually "playing' on it or not. Perhaps whatever it was is more important than the likely risk of spilled soda, or the infinitesimal risk of an injury?

From how you described the situation, its clear you had 0 respect for him from the start as well. From your story, you attempted to let him know what was going on...but then went off on him within what seems like 30ish seconds? How should someone react when told they arent doing their job, and that they are just a mall cop? How do you think you were perceived throughout the event?

It seems to me that you were either already annoyed about something that day, or the kids bothered you for a reason other than "the inherent danger associated with can-kicking". It also seems you took it out on the cop.
    Thoughts?
    You nailed it here:

I mean obviously he's got some problems because he can't make it as a real cop, but why try to get all power trippy on me like that? I can guarantee you if things get out of hand he's the one getting fired, not me.
    and here:

And regardless of whether or not it was worth trying to alert security guy to what was happening, he certainly didn't have to be such a complete asshat the whole time. I mean it was comically bad the way he was acting all tough cop when all I was trying to do was help him do what he's there to do.

EDIT: but JKDS, as usual, is on point.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 09-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    I made a couple of very gentle taps on his window with my fingernail. If you're trying to get someone's attention I think doing it in the quietest possible way is being pretty respectful. I'm not going to stand there for five minutes and hope he looks up from his phone and sees me. If he was doing something so important, he could have put up a palm in a 'hang on please' gesture and that would have been fine. But instead he rolled down his window and showed a very disrespectful attitude by saying what I did was rude (when it wasn't, really), and ordering me not to do it like he was talking to a child. And yea, that took me by surprise and I made a little chuckle.

But, I took a breath, apologised, and started to explain the situation to him. He could have listened politely, nodded, and said 'ok i'll look into it'. That's not anything unreasonable to expect for the ten seconds it took me to get out that one sentence. Or if he was talking to his sick wife or whatever (I don't know what he was looking at on his phone it looked like it was blank to me but maybe the angle was bad), he could have said 'I'm sorry I have an emergency.' Just ignoring me and looking at his phone is being rude.

So ya, at that point I probably should have just walked away. I did my duty and if he wanted to act like a cunt to me and ignore the information that was his problem. But instead I decided I'd had enough of him and made the comment about him rather looking at his phone than doing his job. Then I walked away.

That's when he leaped out of his van and yelled at me 'Hey, what's your name?!'. Like, who the fuck is he demanding I tell him my name. He has no authority in that situation to give me an order, he's just pissed 'cause i called him out on his shit behavior, and he's a big tough security guy so he thinks he has to be kowtowed to. Fuck him. So I told him I didn't have to tell my name and called him a mall cop and ignored him after that. Was that the most mature response I could have had? No, but it wasn't totally unreasonable either given the attitude he'd taken to me. If someone tries to use their supposed authority to bark orders at you, fuck them and their little uniform.
    And ya, I probably wasn't expecting this guy to be a friendly character given his job, but i've dealt with a lot of security people who were ok too. In any case, I gave him two chances and he was a blatant cunt both times. Just completely arrogant. So ya, fuck him lol.
    It's a weird world, a college campus.

Equality isn't really the same on a campus. There is a definite pecking order, and professors are near the top.

There is a social class structure in place. We may ostensibly bristle at the mention of social class in America, but it's alive and kicking as ever. Whether or not you were nice to him is irrelevant in that sense. You're technically his superior on the social ladder, and he has no recourse even if you're a total curmudgeon who is always pissed.

Just like if my boss decides it's time to chew me out, I have to stand there and take it or lose my job.

I mean... don't be a classist, but even if you were... that's probably irrelevant.
    I don't think the pecking order thing is so relevant in UK. Some of the students kiss my ass and some of the admin type people, but it's not like I go around demanding people respect me in the bowing kind of sense. I really don't think it matters and it's all a bit contrived.

I'll put it this way: if I'd had the same interaction with a security guard in a department store I'd not have done things any differently (well ok now i might lol, but you get my point). I try to be polite to everyone but when someone gives me attitude the way this guy did I have a hard time swallowing it. I swallowed it once but twice was too much for me. Probably should work on being less reactive that way.
    Sounds like this all happened because you're a pussy. Lesson learned hey.
    Sounds like this all happened because you're a pussy. Lesson learned hey.
    Sounds like the kind of reasoned, thoughtful response you usually give.
    Well.

Clearly attempting to alert security is fine.

But you started off the conversation wrong. Ignoring the window tapping thing (how rude that actually is I guess would depend on the extent of the tapping), it seems like you didnt even give him a chance. Was he on the phone with his supervisor at that particular moment? His hospitalized wife? Texting something important? Do you know it was entirely job unrelated? Was he using an app that guards need to use now to keep the campus safe? Was he logging a recent incident? Its hip to assume someone is playing on their phone, but you havent provided details on whether he was actually "playing' on it or not. Perhaps whatever it was is more important than the likely risk of spilled soda, or the infinitesimal risk of an injury?

From how you described the situation, its clear you had 0 respect for him from the start as well. From your story, you attempted to let him know what was going on...but then went off on him within what seems like 30ish seconds? How should someone react when told they arent doing their job, and that they are just a mall cop? How do you think you were perceived throughout the event?

It seems to me that you were either already annoyed about something that day, or the kids bothered you for a reason other than "the inherent danger associated with can-kicking". It also seems you took it out on the cop.
    What utter bollocks.

Maybe if you see an actual cop, and he ignores you when you try to inform him that someone is getting mugged, you'd think that he could finish off his paperwork, or perhaps find out off his wife what's for dinner, before he bothered to lsiten to the problem.

We're not talking about a fellow lecturer here, we're talking about someone whose job is specifically to secure the campus. If he's sitting in his car on his phone, he is clearly not doing his job, regardless of the reason he's on the phone. Ignoring someone who is tapping on the window, and even getting annoyed about it, instead of listening to the problem, is gross negligence.
    ongies gonna ong
    Ya, apart from seeming to be totally incompetent at his job, he clearly had no skills at all in dealing with people. It didn't matter who I was or whether I had what seemed like me a valid reason to interrupt whatever he was doing on his phone, he was going to be the authority in the situation, demand respect and give commands. For a moment I was willing to play along, 'cause I know the type who get a hard on from wearing a uniform (I'm sure you've all encountered them), and I generally don't have a problem with letting them have their cookie. But when he just kept being a cunt to me I couldn't take it.
    Personally, I doubt I'd report him, but I'd be unimpressed and I'd make a mental note. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, we're all capable of having shit days and this could be what's going on here. But I definitely would remember and keep an eye on him.
    ongies gonna ong
    This is my 14,001st post
    ongies gonna ong
    I'd break my foot if I kicked a full can.

Ignoring the security douche, I think this problem might be self-solving, actually.
    Not a lot of respect for academics among non-academic staff in UK universities in my experience, as a few pompous, arrogant types give the rest a bad name. That said, that guy is typical of a UK security guard twat and I'd have picked him up on it too.
    New stats book out by one of the top selling authors at the publishing company I work for:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventure-S...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andy-Field/e/B001ITTN8M

It's basically a sci-fi, illustrated novel that brings in stats and probability theory at relevant points. Do people like this idea, or do you prefer a more traditional text book? Going to be interesting to see how this one sells.
    Anyone use Mint or another budgeting app? How do yall manage yo money?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    New stats book out by one of the top selling authors at the publishing company I work for:

It's basically a sci-fi, illustrated novel that brings in stats and probability theory at relevant points. Do people like this idea, or do you prefer a more traditional text book? Going to be interesting to see how this one sells.
    I can see students liking it because it's going to have some color and not be a typical dry stats text. From what I've heard, Field is great already at doing this and while I haven't read a stats text in years I'm guessing the new one is going to be popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post

Hook me up with some cheap maths related books?
    The apps are probably easier, but I use a spreadsheet with an identical tab for each month and a summary tab that totals the year. Each month is populated with an expected income and spend by category and then I plug in my actuals periodically to reconcile to my bank balance (yeah, I'm anal about these things). I've also got a 3-year outlook too, which means I can plan bigger purchases and investments better.

In terms of monthly split with my missus, both of our salaries and all bills go to/from a joint account. We then allocate £x00 to our personal accounts from there where there's no questions asked as to what each of us does with our allocation.
    Hook me up with some cheap maths related books?
    We're bigger on the social sciences and humanities rather than STEM. The Haylock books on teaching maths to primary school children sell really well though if that's what you're interested in. I'll PM you.
    Ong as god was good stuff. Keep up the good work guys.
    This is my 14,001st post
    Lazy pos
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Dropbox excel spreadsheet
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    What exactly do you need something like that for? I've never really understood how budgeting on a basic level is a difficult task. Make sure outgoings < incomings.
    What exactly do you need something like that for? I've never really understood how budgeting on a basic level is a difficult task. Make sure outgoings < incomings.
    I'm gonna assume it automatically makes monthly payments and whatnot. If it's just to help you keep your numbers in order, yeah it seems like a waste of time.
    ongies gonna ong
    I only kept a spreadsheet when I was living with roommates and we were splitting the bills.

I love math, but hate tracking my finances. I just try to keep general goals for savings and when I'm spending too much, I stop doing frivolous stuff for a month.
    Ya, but mint apparently does it all for you and has pie charts.
    blah blah blah blah blah it has pie charts.
    Tracking history.

If you keep up with it (which I'm not that great at), it's worthwhile.