Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 105 of 420 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,875 of 31490
    My dad rescued a male dog and named him Lucky. Apropos IMO

For pets, I like totally normal names like Joe or Sally. Makes people think when they hear the name because they're used to just fluffy names for pets. Or go the opposite direction and do weird but badass names like Lunchbox
    I thought about just calling her a silly noise, like mweergle, or woompah, but then again I just look like a dick then.

Debs is winning, after the once-lovely Debbie Harry. She's now a dog, fitting because I still love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    If I had a dog with a reddish tint, I'd name it Napalm.

That being said, I'm not a dog person, so I will likely never own a dog. So someone else should make this happen.
    If I get a dog I'm naming him scratch.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    If I had a dog with a reddish tint, I'd name it Napalm.
    But you wouldn't love the smell of Napalm in the morning.
    Or if I had a dog that was anything but brown (esp a white dog) I'd name it Peanut Butter. And when people asked why I would name a white dog "Peanut Butter," I'd just nervously laugh and quickly change the subject.
    I'm not a dog person
    I hate you.

And when people asked why I would name a white dog "Peanut Butter," I'd just nervously laugh and quickly change the subject.
    Sorry scratch that, you're fucking funny.
    ongies gonna ong
    Well, it's not like I'm a cat person. I'm not a pet person at all. I think it's fairly weird to keep an animal outside of utilitarian purposes. If you have a hunting dog, or keep a cat in the shed to get rid of the mice, and you enjoy the company of the animal, that's cool. But it's really strange to me to have a pet cooped up in an apartment in midtown Manhattan for no other reason than to entertain you. Self professed "animal lovers" are very quick to turn a blind eye to animal abuse when the abuse brings the owner emotional satisfaction.

Furthermore, the pet industry (probably not in terms of scale) is far more disturbing to me than the meat industry. Sure the meat industry is fucking gross and reprehensible, but at least the end game is people being nourished. What justifiable purpose does a puppy mill serve?
    Well, it's not like I'm a cat person. I'm not a pet person at all. I think it's fairly weird to keep an animal outside of utilitarian purposes. If you have a hunting dog, or keep a cat in the shed to get rid of the mice, and you enjoy the company of the animal, that's cool. But it's really strange to me to have a pet cooped up in an apartment in midtown Manhattan for no other reason than to entertain you. Self professed "animal lovers" are very quick to turn a blind eye to animal abuse when the abuse brings the owner emotional satisfaction.

Furthermore, the pet industry (probably not in terms of scale) is far more disturbing to me than the meat industry. Sure the meat industry is fucking gross and reprehensible, but at least the end game is people being nourished. What justifiable purpose does a puppy mill serve?
    Well there's bad pet owners that buy dogs from puppy mill-sourced pet stores and then treat them like animated toys, and then there's pet owners who get pets from shelters or responsible breeders and have the knowledge and lifestyle to be able to take care of them properly.
    I think boost is suggesting we eat puppies?
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    Well there's bad pet owners that buy dogs from puppy mill-sourced pet stores and then treat them like animated toys, and then there's pet owners who get pets from shelters or responsible breeders and have the knowledge and lifestyle to be able to take care of them properly.
    I could be way off, but I would think that good pet owners are few and far between. Most people probably think they are good pet owners, just like most people think they are good parents.
    I could be way off, but I would think that good pet owners are few and far between. Most people probably think they are good pet owners, just like most people think they are good parents.
    Dogs make wonderful company, they're not judgemental like us humans. Always your friend, even if you rape the Queen. And they don't complain like a woman does.

I think keeping some pets is weird, like birds in a cage, I don't get on with that at all, or pointless animals like insects. Cats I don't really see the point of, they're wonderful creatures but rubbish pets, they should be outside being cats.

But a dog will get me out of the house every day and give me something to kick when my aces get cracked.

(joking about the kicking)
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah birds in cages is fucked up. Every time I see one I have an urge to set it free.

Dogs and cats though, I don't think having them as pets is a bad thing. Most are happy and treated relatively well with a reasonable amount of freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post

I'm going to the dog rescue centre tomorrow, hopefully I'll be coming back with a husky that was found wandering the streets in the middle of the night last week and hasn't been claimed. She stayed with me for the night before she was sent to the kennels. Poor thing, who the fuck doesn't report a missing husky?
    I dont know man. Theres some asshole who owns a husky in an apartment aways over form mine. He keeps it locked in a cage all day and night on his balcony. The poor thing howls all night. Who the fuck does that?
    Well if most people are bad parents by your definition, chances are pretty good that they're also bad pet owners by your definition.

Wife is in the animal welfare field so I'm exposed to a lot of hyper-responsible pet owners and see the good side of it, as well as seeing some of the worst abuses imaginable and everything in-between.

You can look down upon non-ideal animal owners all you want, and some of them definitely deserve it -- but if they got the animal from a shelter, mediocre care is still better for the animal than shelter or stray life.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    I dont know man. Theres some asshole who owns a husky in an apartment aways over form mine. He keeps it locked in a cage all day and night on his balcony. The poor thing howls all night. Who the fuck does that?
    People like this should be banned from keeping dogs imo. If I have this husky, she'll spend most of her time in my company and she'll sleep in the same room as me. I have no problem with guard dogs spending the night outside, so long as they know they're a guard dog, and they're happy about it, and so long as they are able to roam secure land. If they're not happy, then it's cruel. Pet owners should ensure their animal is happy and healthy, that's the responsibility you undertake when you have an animal for company. Those who fail these basic requirements should not be allowed to have an animal.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think electric guitar is positively one of the worst instruments ever invented.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Quote Originally Posted by Illfavor View Post
    I think electric guitar is positively one of the worst instruments ever invented.
    I feel like the standard '"WAT" doesn't do justice here. You can't make this kind of blanket statement without some sort of reasoning. Is this sentiment extended to everything you've ever heard played on an electric, distorted or not?
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Quote Originally Posted by supa View Post
    I feel like the standard '"WAT" doesn't do justice here.
    this

Everybody's got their taste, but some of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard came from one.
    I feel like the standard '"WAT" doesn't do justice here. You can't make this kind of blanket statement without some sort of reasoning. Is this sentiment extended to everything you've ever heard played on an electric, distorted or not?
    I JUST DID, DIDN'T I?

Heh, but seriously, I've pretty much never heard a performance on EG that was pleasing to me. It sounds incredibly artificial to me and I just don't understand the appeal. That being said, I can only say I tolerate acoustic guitar, though there are times where its particular aesthetic is quite effective. I don't find this to be true for EG, but I know I'm in the minority here.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Jimi Hendrix. That is all.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    this

Everybody's got their taste, but some of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard came from one.
    Post some examples for me, because I'll admit I actively avoid hearing the instrument most of my life so I could very easily be missing a lot.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Post some examples for me, because I'll admit I actively avoid hearing the instrument most of my life so I could very easily be missing a lot.
    What are your general tastes in music? I could post about a million links for you but they wouldn't help if not into the music. I'm assuming you're not into anything rock based.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    FWIW, Illfavor plays classical stuffs.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    Jimi Hendrix. That is all.
    fucking ongabonga, how you make me hate and love you so much at the same time? so much cognitive dissonance.
    Yea, I'm a classical musician. I listen to some popular music though (indie pop maybe? I'm not really clear on the specifics of most modern musical genres), though none of it is rock. And let's be clear that I'm not an elitist snob who thinks they have better taste than everyone else, I just don't like anything about the EG and pretty much any genre in which it is heavily employed.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    the electric guitar has a lot more expressive capacity than a lot of e-struments that the kids are using these days I tell yah.

*shakes drumstick at the damned kids*
    Yea, I'm a classical musician. I listen to some popular music though (indie pop maybe? I'm not really clear on the specifics of most modern musical genres), though none of it is rock. And let's be clear that I'm not an elitist snob who thinks they have better taste than everyone else, I just don't like anything about the EG and pretty much any genre in which it is heavily employed.
    Let's try a different route. Mozart or Bach?

Please don't answer this by giving me the name of some other composer I've never heard of. And I'm not asking to so I can pretend to have any knowledge about classical music. I've always believed you can tell a lot about a persons musical preferences (actually a lot about a person) by the answer, so pick one. Mozart or Bach?

On the topic of peoples' musical tastes
    I think ong nailed it.

Try "red house" by jimmy. The lazy, don't care no more attitude his guitar emits is amazing imo.
    Not a bad instrument, but definitely overrated. It scores very high on range of expression, but its sound quality is fucking awful. IMO the best sounding instrument in the world right now is the modern softsynth, followed by maybe the acoustic guitar.
    i'm also a classical musician, and i don't have anything against electric guitar or music often associated with it. i have to admit i spend probably much less of my free time listening casually compared to the normal person though. Probably because so much of my life revolves around being "srs" about music, i quite appreciate some silence from time to time.

oh and supa, i would choose bach, although that's not to say mozart is worse. i'm wired however to work more in that way of thinking, whereas i've met people who can just "get" mozart (i mean when trying to play it) and instinctively produce beautiful results, whereas i tend to have to mull over every frickin' decision and am always dissatisfied with the end result.

i'm guessing bach people think "architechturally", intuitively planning, analyzing, wheras mozarteans tend to be more feeling, sensing, work well "in the moment"... or were you going to say something else?
    Good god wuf, that sig is incredible (sorry supa), it goes well with Tutti Frutti by Little Richard, which is the first tune I woke up to today. Now I have a boner.

Mozart or Bach? Bach, not even close. I can get on with some classical, I love Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Strauss II, Bach... but I don't get Mozart at all. When I listen to him, I think to myself "yeah this fucker was definitely deaf".

I am a snob who think my music taste is superior to everyone else's.
    Last edited by OngBonga; 03-03-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah eug, that's a huge part of what I'm getting at. Musically I think people on the Mozart end are more into pop type music whereas bachoneans (cwutididthere) are more into rock based stuff. I mean, almost all heavy metal is based on the minor penatonic scale and the blues penatonic is just the minor penatonic -1/2 the notes. So basically anything from the earliest blues to todays heaviest of metal all stem from the same Bach style origins.

Btw, Mozarteans are probably more prone to enjoy stuff like madonna, lady gaga and penis.

I'm not big on metal, and I do get illfavor's dislike of the eg, too many people play that instrument badly. The vast majority of eg based music is crap, imo. Jimi is far and away the best guitarist that ever lived, but then again I much much prefer blues to rock, so his style suits my taste so much more. Having said that, I can dig some AC/DC, so I'm not totally against that sort of thing. Radiohead and early Muse are also incredible, Floyd are pretty damn good, the Who are out of this world, and on the few occasions the Beatles picked up and eg, they were really good songs too, like Helter Skelter for example. But most eg music is utter shite, just noise.

But Jimi... that man turned the eg into something else. Seriously, the guy was a genius, and I don't use that word lightly when referring to musicians.
    ongies gonna ong
    I can dig some early Madonna, but then I grew up in the 80's, so I blame nostalgia for that aspect of my music taste.
    ongies gonna ong
    I also prefer Bach and Mozart is generally one of my least favorite composers. For me, Bach is a better vehicle than Mozart for pathos, in the same way the cello is better than the guitar. But that's getting into my general argument that stringed instruments are superior in terms of expression to any other, besides the human voice.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    idk, the hate towards mozart is also not justifiable imo. he was an incredible wonder of human genius and he deserves the proper respect. also i'm a string player and don't really disagree with you Illfavor but at the same time i often feel like i chose the wrong instrument with the violin. often feel piano is better for somebody like me who likes to care about the big picture more than the small details, and unless you're only playing solo bach stuff you basically never have that kind of breath of scope on the violin (you need 3 other players to form a quartet to play music that's as complex as a complex piano sonata, for example).
    do you hate the tone of clean electric guitar as much as distorted electric guitar?
    not to hate on guitar, but guitar was NOTHING before they got amped up and shit just so they can be heard. so electric was a natural evolution to solve an inherent design flaw. honestly the one and only time i went to a classical guitar concert, the only impression i was left with was "omg so quiet".
    on the other hand, despite guitar being piss weak it's useful in that all you have to do is learn the chords to wonderwall and improve your chances at getting laid.
    in the same way the cello is better than the guitar.
    I agree with you here, I think violin and cello are wonderful instruments, a lot of music I listen to is heavy on strings, stuff like Penguin Cafe and a lot of Balkan music, but the acoustic guitar (not ag supa) played well can also be a beautiful instrument. I got some Bob Dylan on now (If You See Her Say Hello), and he can do with the guitar what a lot of violinists do with the violin. It's just rare that someone can really play the guitar truly well, whereas those who play the violin tend to share the same love for classical music, thus you rarely hear crap violin music.

Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    idk, the hate towards mozart is also not justifiable imo. he was an incredible wonder of human genius and he deserves the proper respect.
    And you're right, of course. I'm allowing personal taste to influence me, which I shouldn't. I respect him a great deal, I just don't get his music quite like I get Bach, or the others I named. I was just being a dick with my deaf comment. The fact he was deaf and made music of that standard makes him infinitely more incredible than I can ever hope to be. I'd still sooner listen to early Madonna though.
    ongies gonna ong
    idk, the hate towards mozart is also not justifiable imo. he was an incredible wonder of human genius and he deserves the proper respect. also i'm a string player and don't really disagree with you Illfavor but at the same time i often feel like i chose the wrong instrument with the violin. often feel piano is better for somebody like me who likes to care about the big picture more than the small details, and unless you're only playing solo bach stuff you basically never have that kind of breath of scope on the violin (you need 3 other players to form a quartet to play music that's as complex as a complex piano sonata, for example).
    Well it's all personal preference, right? I don't find him witty, rather his music generally nags at me. He's my least favorite "composer everyone says I should like and will play his music at me until I do" I obv can't hate everything he does, the operas are all time great, and some of the piano stuff I like, I just almost never feel compelled to seek him out. If someone offers me Bach, Beethoven, Brahms or Mozart I will never, ever, ever take Mozart over the others. Bach and Beethoven just click for me in a way Wolfie does not.

I understand what you mean about scope, but you still have a lot of chances to achieve that breadth with great music. Plus it's never too late to start a new instrument. J/k, we both know it's too late if you're of the age to type. I play the double bass, so my opportunities to play any major composers are incredibly limited outside of symphonic works. Sitting at the bottom of the orchestra means all I ever do is support you guys -.-
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Ha I don't even know what I'm talking about, Mozart wasn't deaf, that was the other German I don't like, Beethoven.
    ongies gonna ong
    This is an Onion article, right?
    Onion couldn't make this shit up. Truth is stranger than fiction, sadly.

Wall Street Bonus Withdrawal Means Trading Aspen for Coupons - Bloomberg

Wall Street Bonuses Cut - YouTube

Wall Street Exec Says Journalists Are Overpaid - YouTube
    Last edited by Jack Sawyer; 03-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Ha I don't even know what I'm talking about, Mozart wasn't deaf, that was the other German I don't like, Beethoven.
    Now I really hate you.
    Now I really hate you.
    Book I'm reading likes to talk about Bach so I was trolling through youtube trying to see what all the fuss was about and landed on this monstrosity.

Beethoven, Große Fuge (complete, Great Fugue), op. 133, string quartet (animated score) - YouTube

Apparently it's a masterpiece but it sounds like a complete jarble but for a few minutes in the middle.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Loves me some bach. Well-tempered clavier & goldberg variations ftmfw
    @rilla, ya late beethoven takes some time to get to know, i don't blame you.
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    Book I'm reading likes to talk about Bach so I was trolling through youtube trying to see what all the fuss was about and landed on this monstrosity.

Beethoven, Große Fuge (complete, Great Fugue), op. 133, string quartet (animated score) - YouTube

Apparently it's a masterpiece but it sounds like a complete jarble but for a few minutes in the middle.
    It's more so a formal and technical achievement; one of those works that you need pen/paper/probably years of schooling to "truly" appreciate. One of very few works of his that comes off as inaccessible to lots of people, and as eugmac has said, I don't blame you. That being said his late quartets are some of the best by anyone and obv the 9th is one of mankinds greatest achievements.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Ich grolle nicht...
    I can dig some early Madonna, but then I grew up in the 80's, so I blame nostalgia for that aspect of my music taste.
    I grew up in the 80s and have a sister who also likes madonna. She likes penis too.

I like my penis.
    ongies gonna ong
    I grew up in the 80s and have a sister who also likes madonna. She likes penis too.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to supa again.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Hahaha
    sick burn.
    I also like early Kylie. I have no shame.
    ongies gonna ong
    Well I knew there had to be people out there who hated electric guitar, but damn illfavor that stings dude.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    People have mentioned Hendrix, check out "Little Wing"

Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing - YouTube

and "Castles Made of Sand"

Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made of Sand (Studio) - YouTube

Electric guitar sounds like shit a lot of the time: people overplay (metal shredding for example), effects are misused/overused, too much distortion etc. I think one guitar player who uses effects to great, well, effect is Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of the Mars Volta. He's not a super technically proficient guitar player, just really good at creating moods with effects and not overplaying:

The Mars Volta - Eriatarka (♫) - YouTube
    I'm getting two pet rats Friday!

I'm naming them Betsy and MooMoo!
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Why not Metsy and BooBoo?
    I also like early Kylie. I have no shame.
    While not a fan of her music... she is smokin hot.
    Are they white rats?

I'd like Jack and Meg, in that case.
    Well, they're both going to be female, because I'm defiantly not getting a male and female since they breed every few days.

Also - they're going to be black and white, like dairy cows, which is why I'm picking out cow type names.

So - thus, the MooMoo and Betsy names were born!

They're dumbo rats, so their ears are on the sides of their heads, a bit bigger, and rounded. Oh and they themselves are a bit bigger than normal rats. They can also be walked on a harness! I'm super excited!!!!
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Lionel Messi is rediculous. I don't get how one guy can be so much better than everyone else. The chips today were fantastic.
    so, i mentioned getting engaged in this thread at some point, and nobody said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    So who's Lionel Messi?

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    I heard Lionel Messi recently got engaged
    Congratulations eug. K?

Illfavor? Haven't heard from you since Renton posted (excellent choices btw). Interested in hearing your thoughts.

*note* If little wing turns you on at all listen to Stevie Ray Vaughans version.

SRV version rules
    Im glad the dog gets the snack at the end. It would have been so sad if at the end the guy pulled it back at the last second.