Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

pot odds gave me 1 in 6? I folded the river was it an overfold?

Default pot odds gave me 1 in 6? I folded the river was it an overfold?

Villain was a fish, limping in many hands not playing aggressive just limp calling here and there but not really any raised pots I hadn't really been in a hand with him in a raised pot we were maybe 30 hands in

$0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
    PokerStars
    6 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
    UTG ($2.33) 117bb
    UTG+1 ($0.48) 24bb
    CO Hero ($2.86) 143bb
    BTN ($1.37) 69bb
    SB ($3.29) 165bb
    BB ($2.77) 139bb

Pre-Flop: (0.03, 6 players) Hero is CO
    UTG calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.08, UTG+1 calls $0.08
    Flop: ($0.33, 3 players)

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.20, UTG calls $0.20, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($0.75, 2)
    UTG checks, Hero checks River: ($0.75, 2)

UTG bets $0.20

Final Pot: $0.95
    Hero shows

UTG wins $0.92 (net +$0.42)

UTG+1 lost $0.12
    Hero lost $0.30

when he called the flop I thought Qx, Tx maybe some KJo, turn comes and brings another T, I didnt even want to bet again because I hadnt been in a raised pot with this player and I thought his call on the flop would be mostly 1 of the top 2 flop pairs both are beating me now . River comes and he bets out 20c, I thought it was weird but I didnt know what to do, looking at the board anything he actually connected with I am losing too right? unless he called flop bet with A6? 66?
    which I dont think this player would do I had been watching every hole card that gets shown in replay mode he didnt seem like a super fish . OTR I have pot odds of 5:1 right? call 20c to win a dollar? i decided to fold because I didnt think I would beat anything he bets into me on the river with it looked like a value bet.
    I went to equilab and if we give him a range of : QQ,AQs,ATs,A6s,KTs+,Q9s+,JTs,T9s,98s,AQo,ATo,KJo,J To

I think giving him A6s might be optimistic but when I give him that along with KJs and KJo , and everything else in that range I just listed we are given an equity of 20% because we are beating his broken straight draws all his KJ's and his A6 . For a call to be profitable our equity needs to be higher than our pot odds correct? so if our pot odds are 5:1 and we are only getting equity of 1/5 or 20% that means it would have been a break even call if he somehow did this with A6 and broken stuff which I doubt he did so would this then be a correct fold..... ?
    We can peg villain as a weaker, passive player from the pre flop limp. That's a pretty strong read and probably extends to post flop, but not necessarily. Sometimes you get players that do a lot of limp calling, then go bananas post flop trying to win every pot no matter what.

Your river fold is fine despite the pot odds. Villain should have at least 6x, Qx, Tx and AJ, KJ, J9, 98 with the flop call (and we block a lot of Jx combos holding both jacks) if our read is villain is passive, he's unlikely to bet river with 6x and missed draws when we can have weak Qx ourselves. So you can therefore make what's called an exploitative fold I.e. you fold despite the pot odds, and if villain was good enough to work out you overfold (hint: he almost definitely isn't), he could bluff every missed draw on the river and profit. But sometimes there's just a board texture, line of action and villain read that makes a comfortable fold. Just don't start taking that to the extreme and making folds that are too tight against competent opponents.