Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Some stealing spots from the SB

Default Some stealing spots from the SB

Hi all,

I feel that I should steal more often from the SB. I try to preserve my stack and just raise with better hands. Once in a while, I steal with 8-4o or something like that.

The following hands are from 1.20SnGs at Absolute Poker. I wonder if you would try to steal in these spots (shove or raise) and why.

HAND 1: villain was 51/5 over 39 hands. I folded because I think he would call loose. In retrospect, I should push here (I was getting used to multitabling).

No-Limit Hold'em, $100.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($2235)
    UTG ($1380)
    MP ($6000)
    Button ($2270)
    Hero (SB) ($1615)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3, A
    3 folds HERO???

Total pot: $100

HAND 2: Villain was pretty tight (10/2). However, given his low stack, I think I would not have fold equity here. He would call with any high card and my hand was pure trash.

No-Limit Hold'em, $150.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($4565)
    Button ($2445)
    Hero (SB) ($2835)
    BB ($1035)
    UTG ($1615)
    MP ($1005)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, 3
    4 folds HERO???

Total pot: $150
    HAND 3: The BB is the same villain of hand 2 (he won a huge pot). Here I knew he was tight and my stack was big enough to cripple him. I shoved here.

No-Limit Hold'em, $200.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($4840)
    Button ($1510)
    Hero (SB) ($1960)
    BB ($2595)
    UTG ($1190)
    MP ($1405)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3, 7
    4 folds, , 1 fold HERO??

Total pot: $400
    Maybe I am over-aggressive, but I shove all three.
    Hand 2 and 3 are easy shoves for me. Shoving 16 BB in hand 1 seems like an overshove to me, but this is probably better than just raising a player who is going to call with a wide range and therefore have position on us.
    1. push
    2. call & raise mixed depending on the opponent
    3. fold
    tai and extremophile
    you guys really push hand 1?
    Ax with 16BB? I standard raise and play a flop. I think there's too much variance shoving with 16BB
    Hand 1: Easy shove
    Hand 2: Shove, then lay off HIM for atleast 1 orbit unless you pick up a good hand.
    Hand 3: Fold.

............in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude
    tai and extremophile
    Ax with 16BB? I standard raise and play a flop. I think there's too much variance shoving with 16BB
    On reflection, you're probably right - I'd rather make it 2.5x BB to go and take it from there. If blinds were 75/150 I would definitely shove it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude
    tai and extremophile
    yeah, after your warning I realized that it is a little bit early to shove here. Still, I am assuming that BB's calling range is narrow because our stack can hurt him.
    Before using Wiz...i would fold the last one. After Wiz....it is an easy push

break even if villain folds those and worse

Hand 2: K2, Q8, J9, T8s, Q3s, K2s
    Hand 3: A4, A2s, KTs, KQ
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)