Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

$10k will do nicely

Default $10k will do nicely

This is my second operation of the year, the first one ended in success when I reached $1000. My blog is really a diary of what happens at the tables and my own analysis of particular situations.

I try to use maths as much as possible, by day i am a maths teacher, so that way of thinking comes easy to me. Generally people seem not to like my way of thinking, they often think i am too tight and they are probably right. I am developing a style i feel comfortable with and it is very conservative however the more i stick with it and improve it the more profitable i get.

I tried hard to copy other peoples ideas from books and from the forums but many of them just don't sit well in my game. No doubt i am missing out on opportunities and am playing in what people think is a suboptimal way but i am begining to win and enjoying it a lot. Over the last 4 years i have studied a great deal I have read many books, trawled all the forums spent hours with pokerstove and a spreadsheet, I even tried listening into some training sessions. They all help, particularly with my understanding of how other players think. I intend to spend some of my recent winnings at grinderschool and I will report here how that goes.

I will be playing most types of poker, I like the mixed format games I play quite a few MTT's and often 6 table full ring NLHE ring. I seem to go through phases when one type of poker appeals to me more than the others. I used to fight this but now I just go with it.
    I am now profitable at all types of poker (but not at all levels) and sharkscope has a shark swimming next to my name. I have come along way from the donkey who started the first operation in january.

My BR has been increased by two recent success stories, both in the $3 re buy events and now stands at $1700.
    I will play tournies up to a max buy in of around $15 and cash games with a buy in up to $25. I will also continue playing satelites to earn tournie dollars, i have an excellent record at these.
    was going to say something along the lines of "the first $1k is the hardest", but given that you're almost at $2k already that's kinda redundant.
    Enjoy the trip to $10k - a note for once you get there, it seems as though the 4th $10k is the hardest...
    thanks for that Daven. When i am struggling for my fourth 10K i think i will be pretty happy!

Update. Joined grinder school, downloaded my first video. Fjuanl in an MTT. Will watch it tonight.

Played a few MT SNGs. Just broke even but played really well lost two big hands as strong favourite (85% and 74% from pokerstove) which stopped a decent win.

Its amazing, with a decent BR losses dont seem to hurt anymore, or maybe you just get used to it. I actually felt pleased i got the money in not sad i lost. Thats pretty cool!!
    Not doing a great job updating this post. I am spending quite a bit of time on the grinderschool site. Some of the videos are easily worth the money. The Glitlr lectures were really good, sadly becasue of my rubbish internet I only ever get about half of a video which sucks, normal parts of the world are no doubt fine. I wouldn't say i have learnt anything new its more of a revision course and reminds you of things forgoten.

If you are thinking about joining i would advice it. The forums are really good, not many replies but great quality.

Anyway to Poker, being playing lots of multi table SNG's and doing really well, qualified for the battle of the planets shoot out which is pretty awesome and got 100 bucks which is pretty cool. 27 man seems to be my thing.

My final table play has not been quite as good as i would like, made a few calls that on reflection should have been folds, spewing chips at the final table is a leak i must fix next week (or at least soon).
    i have a proposition for you.
    I am probably better at cash ring games than you are
    you are almost certainly better at MTTs than I am.

I will review a cash session of yours if you review an MTT of mine. I'll review first, cos otherwise I'm the type of person who can take a while to get around to getting stuff done.

Thoughts?
    Hi daven, You are insane. I have just read your blog and you are in a different league to me. You play more hands in a session than I do in a month. You are going pro for gods sake!! I am one of the part time fish you will make a living from.
    Just look at our post counts, we joined FTR at the same time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Hi daven, You are insane.
    offer stands.
    contact me (pm) if you want me to review a few cash game sessions (e-mail the txt files etc, up to 2k hands is a session, doesn't matter if it's two hours of play or two weeks).

In exchange you take a look at a couple of tourneys.
    your call. I go first on the reviewing. Sooner is better, cos I've got some airport time looming - but once i arrive back to summer I'll be busy arriving (beer/bbqs, that sorta thing)

I figure doing it once will be worthwhile at least. Your call.

Also, I see you've got a pro poker goal = nice. And I think you're a maths teacher by trade? there's no reason not to give it a shot, so long as x,y,z criteria apply. Talk about them nearer the time. Best of luck!
    Re grinderschool vids and crap internet, I wonder if the owners can figure out a solution? ask them, whether it be usb sticks where you pay for postage or whatever. They seem to be good guys with a good product. They may not be able to figure out a workable solution (security of their vids is obviously pretty important), but i imagine they'll give it some thought.