Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

5NL - 2 hands for review

Default 5NL - 2 hands for review

Hand 1:

Villian was 33/11 over 19 hands. I hadn't seen him do anything too stupid, but it's a small sample size. I feel like I played this ok. PF, I put him on a decent sized pair or two paint cards. On the Turn, with only ~1/2 pot left, I thought I should put it in. What do you guys think?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($6.74)
    MP ($5.22)
    Button ($4.52)
    SB ($2.28)
    Hero (BB) ($5.24)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
    1 fold, MP bets $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.65, MP calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.32) K, 2, 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP bets $0.55, Hero raises to $1.90, MP calls $1.35

Turn: ($5.12) 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets $2.69 (All-In), MP calls $2.67 (All-In)

River: ($10.46) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $10.46 | Rake: $0.50
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hand 2:

Villian is 33/23 over 365 hands. My notes say he's not good and a CS.

Should I have played differently to get more value. I noticed the possible flush and str8 draw.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($5)
    Hero (BB) ($4.50)
    UTG ($9.63)
    MP ($5.30)
    Button ($2.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 6
    3 folds, SB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30) J, 6, 5 (2 players)
    SB bets $0.35, Hero raises to $1.15, 1 fold

Total pot: $1 | Rake: $0.05
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Explain...what I do for a living without saying "I make monies in da 600 enels by pwnin' tha donk bitches". Instead I say "I'm a online financial redistribution broker". - Sasquach991
    This all looks fine to me.
    Hand 1. I would raise a bit larger preflop being OOP. Like .70-.80. I dont get why you c/r the flop. I would just lead out close to pot, and you can still jam the turn. I think leading the flop and shoving the turn makes villian stack off a bit lighter than check raising the flop. Also it sucks when he checks behind the flop and hits his gutterball on the turn.

hand 2. looks good.
    Sorry, misread hand one. Yeah, just lead out on the flop.
    wtf with c/r line? this narrows his range to only 99, kk, and AK. checking itself isnt neccessarily bad, i think his range here is like {99+, AJ+, Kt+, QT+, JT+}. Most misses, and alot of villains will just "lol, u check so i bet" their entire range so we would probably get some value from flop and turn bluffs. I prefer a lead though since i beleive there are so many kings in his range. I lean towards a lead out even more if he is inclined to call with his TT-QQ type hands. As played, turn bet is fine.

hand two is fine i think. a large part of his range connects with this board.
    just cbet the flop in hand 1
    I don't like the check/raise either in hand one, just bet/bet/bet and value town this plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro
    I don't like the check/raise either in hand one, just bet/bet/bet and value town this plug.
    Why the c/r on the flop? Because I saw it in a 25NL video and villian got stacked! The idea, of course, is that betting the flop will result in villian folding unless he has a K. It happens all the time. I get TPTK, make a small bet and villian folds. With the c/r, at least you get an extra bet PLUS the chance that villian reads it as a bluff and shoves AI, like in the video.

I think villians range includes AK, KQ, KJ and since he likes his hand preflop he could also have QQ, JJ. All of which I crush. More discussion please. Is c/r too fancy for 5NL. Villian was a donk in the 25NL video, too. Maybe we could talk about the right time to c/r.
    Explain...what I do for a living without saying "I make monies in da 600 enels by pwnin' tha donk bitches". Instead I say "I'm a online financial redistribution broker". - Sasquach991
    I wouldn't check raise unless I had a read that he's really aggressive.

I'd just bet because he will pay you off with worse, though I suppose even if he did check behind on the flop it's not the end of the world as I think you should still be able to get all the money in without having to get raised due to - brace yourself I'm gonna say it - SPR.

If we actually just consider the SPR for this hand checking isn't as bad as it seems. So I think you could play it either way and it would probably be fine. I still bet because something like JJ isn't folding.

The downside I see to check/raising though is scaring villain off weaker hands that he might just call down anyway.
    I'd just bet because he will pay you off with worse, though I suppose even if he did check behind on the flop it's not the end of the world as I think you should still be able to get all the money in without having to get raised due to - brace yourself I'm gonna say it - SPR.
    I have not studied SPR. I'll put that on my list.

The downside I see to check/raising though is scaring villain off weaker hands that he might just call down anyway.
    I kinda wanted to scare him off with my flop raise. I like A's to hold up and win every once in a while. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayToWin
    Why the c/r on the flop? Because I saw it in a 25NL video and villian got stacked! The idea, of course, is that betting the flop will result in villian folding unless he has a K. It happens all the time. I get TPTK, make a small bet and villian folds. With the c/r, at least you get an extra bet PLUS the chance that villian reads it as a bluff and shoves AI, like in the video.

I think villians range includes AK, KQ, KJ and since he likes his hand preflop he could also have QQ, JJ. All of which I crush. More discussion please. Is c/r too fancy for 5NL. Villian was a donk in the 25NL video, too. Maybe we could talk about the right time to c/r.
    c/r is for stacking the PFR (who's repping a nice hand) not someone who just called your raise repping like a small pp or scs
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS
    wtf with c/r line? this narrows his range to only 99, kk, and AK.
    I guess this thread is ova, so I'll thank everyone for the input. What did he have? Villian hit his two-outer on the Turn.
    not to be results oriented...but i was actually thinkin more on this and realized that players at micros have wider c/r calling ranges than i originally thought. i think they fold turns and rivers pretty often...but i think the amount from c/r'ing might be more than those weaker hands might use to bluff.

what i was getting at before...i think is also incorrect. his nut range here i think would be weighted towards 3betting the flop. some villains will slowplay still cuz they dont recognize the strength of a c/r...but most of the time i think the nut hands will just auto 3b.

i guess then the question of c/r really comes down to whether the opponent is aggro enough to "lol, u check so i bet" in a 3b pot against you and how wide his 3b calling range pre is. I might be getting results oriented again...but for this hand i think his range might have been wide enough to be calling a lot of those c/r on the flop with weak holdings.