Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

what to do with JJ preflop?

Default what to do with JJ preflop?

10-25 hk dollar 10-handed table(sb 10,bb 25,500-5k buyin). Villian here is a loose passive lady who tends to limp in a ton preflop regardless of positions.She neither raises preflop nor calls big preflop raises based on my read. I already see her limp in QQ in ep once and slowplay flopped TOP set all the way to the river on flush board. UTG1(villian) limps,i raises $150 with JJ from UTG 2,short stack BT shoves $650(tilted and frustrated guy),UTG1 lady calls quickly,hero? the lady has about 3.5k and hero has her covered.Hero's image is solid. Should i 4 bet small & iso vs shorty or just call and see the flop? Is fold even an option?
    Last edited by pokerfan; 07-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    Shortstacked Button is probably shoving with A-10+ or any pocket pair. Villain's cold call is real fishy, but she would have probably re-raised with Q-Q+ (although you said that she slow plays a lot so i wouldn't know for sure).

I would have put in a min-4bet (twice the 3bet as is always the size of my 4-bets) and hope for a fold from villain, and I would fold to a villain shove. (since you are at best against a coin-flip with A-K or A-Q). If your 4bet gets cold called then I would proceed cautiously.

Flat Calling is kinda awkward here since you are either way behind or way ahead if there are no over-cards to the flop (10-10, 9-9 could be played this way) and would probably fold if there are over-cards and heavy action.

What did you do?
    Based on your read, the villain is 1) Capable of limping QQ and 2) Not capable of calling light pre-flop. I would seriously consider folding.

I think I would need to know what kind of stacks you and the villain are playing. I think that makes a difference since alot of it is probably going in on the flop if you play here.

Maybe this is a leak in my game, but I would probably fold here. You might be ahead, you might be way behind. You might have to fade as many as four over cards. And you need to dodge at least one, maybe two sets. Maybe the math bears out a call, but there is HUGE variance in this play. I would rather protect my stack for now and spend the next two hours exploiting the passive calling station on my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefishtank View Post
    Shortstacked Button is probably shoving with A-10+ or any pocket pair. Villain's cold call is real fishy, but she would have probably re-raised with Q-Q+ (although you said that she slow plays a lot so i wouldn't know for sure).

I would have put in a min-4bet (twice the 3bet as is always the size of my 4-bets) and hope for a fold from villain, and I would fold to a villain shove. (since you are at best against a coin-flip with A-K or A-Q). If your 4bet gets cold called then I would proceed cautiously.

Flat Calling is kinda awkward here since you are either way behind or way ahead if there are no over-cards to the flop (10-10, 9-9 could be played this way) and would probably fold if there are over-cards and heavy action.

What did you do?
    Min 4bet achieves nothing if you wanna iso vs short stack. We simply turn our hand into bluff if we 4bet/fold in this situation.
    Last edited by pokerfan; 07-19-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Based on your read, the villain is 1) Capable of limping QQ and 2) Not capable of calling light pre-flop. I would seriously consider folding.

I think I would need to know what kind of stacks you and the villain are playing. I think that makes a difference since alot of it is probably going in on the flop if you play here.

Maybe this is a leak in my game, but I would probably fold here. You might be ahead, you might be way behind. You might have to fade as many as four over cards. And you need to dodge at least one, maybe two sets. Maybe the math bears out a call, but there is HUGE variance in this play. I would rather protect my stack for now and spend the next two hours exploiting the passive calling station on my right.
    Effective stack is about 140BB.Yeah,i never saw her raise one single hand since she sat down at the table.She rarely limped/called big preflop raise either.
    never fold you have odds to set mine if you think the lady has the nuts

?wut