Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 161 of 420 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,075 of 31490
    give it a page or two.

Hey boost, how would you do snapper or other thin fish filets on the pan? sear them like a steak, but for less time obv?
    oh yeah, forgot to include bikes in the DICK list.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    oh yeah, forgot to include bikes in the DICK list.
    I'd like to think of it more as douchebag extraordinaire
    defo no pedestrian DICK
    i dont go to the bar very often but when i do my good friend tries to set me up with like 7-8s. and i always turn them down. as such it is a common belief around the area that i am gay. fun times.
    but why would you do that, honky?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    but why would you do that, honky?
    Excellent question, awaiting an intriguing reply
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    So when you borrow money from a bank, as they all use the fractional reserve system, they aren't actually lending you anything. So why do you have to pay interest?
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Because only banks have the authority to lend some amount of money. If they don't get interest then why the hell would they do it?
    But they don't lend it. They create it at (nearly) zero cost. And I understand why they'd choose to do it. But it seems wrong. Surely there should be a fixed cost for the loan based on costs to the bank plus a small amount of profit. And this should be the same irrespective of the size of the loan.
    The risk. Loaning money is a big risk. The person you loan it to might never pay it back, and then the bank is in trouble. Also supply and demand. Only banks are authorized to make these kinds of loans, and there is a fixed limit to how much money they can loan in total. These things are governed by the usual economic principles. For example if you are really desperate and loan from a loan shark, he's going to ask even bigger interest.
    But they don't actually lend any money. They create it.
    True but if you don't pay back the loan, it's a hole in their pocket. When you pay back a loan, the created money basically goes poof and disappears. But when you don't, the bank has to cover for it. So there is the same or a similar risk to loaning money you actually have like a loan shark would do.
    I get the principles of demand and supply as a price setting mechanism. But something seems inherently wrong with this system.

It gives large corporate institutions who answer to shareholders control of the money supply which is problematic.

As we have a economic system that requires the creation of money in this fashion, why doesn't the government control it directly?
    In respons to your post about the bank having a liability in to the amount I have borrowed. Exactly how does that work? Who do they owe it to if I don't repay it? Do they have to create liability with the central bank for the amount of my loan?
    I should have paid more attention in macro instead of just getting high and bunking off. The ability to cram really effectively has it's downside.
    Where's wufwugy, he'll have an opinion on this.
    You shall not charge interest on loans to your brother, interest on money, interest on food, interest on anything that is lent for interest. You may charge a foreigner interest, but you may not charge your brother interest, that the Lord your God may bless you in all that you undertake in the land that you are entering to take possession of it.
    So there you have it. It's ok to charge foreigners interest, and let's be honest -- to banks aren't we ALL foreigners?
    i dont even.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    i dont even.
    oh god she has manly arms.
    i could do without the veins. otherwise she is banging.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    fkn jyms and his terror wimmen
    Yeah, I'm really not attracted to women who can beat me up, makes me feel emasculated.
    But more than that, I find petit and slender feminine which is in itself attractive.
    Her chin is far too pointy tbf.
    She would be what I would call close enough to post. She is right in the middle of my spectrum of hot. I like bigger and smaller. I just don't like BBW. I would rather some muscle over more fat any day

This

over this

I would not have sex with any of them. Really.
    they are wearing so much make up and fake tan i cant tell if thats shopped or not
    You should add a NSFL disclaimer to that top picture. Yuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    I get the principles of demand and supply as a price setting mechanism. But something seems inherently wrong with this system.
    Because it's incomplete. As a foundation of markets, supply and demand is extremely strong. I have a feeling you meant that about fractional banking though.

It gives large corporate institutions who answer to shareholders control of the money supply which is problematic.
    I'm not sure if I agree with what has been said about banks "creating money". I'm not into finance or any of the intricate details of economics (I'm just about broad theories), but the only banks with control of money supply are central banks. So in the US, that's the Fed. The nuances may mean that other banks create and destroy money when they lend or don't lend, but consumers do that as well whenever we use a credit card or pay a debt. But the aggregate control of money is by the central bank.

The Panic of 1837 and resultant depression was created by Andrew Jackson killing what was supposed to be our central bank, the Second Bank of the United States. His policies distributed monetary policy power to regional banks, and during what I believe was just less than a year, the banks created so much money that inflation was near 2000%. I may not be exactly accurate on that, but it's close overall

As we have a economic system that requires the creation of money in this fashion, why doesn't the government control it directly?
    This certainly makes sense when viewing the issue from the periphery, but the more I learn about monetary policy, the more I learn that it needs to be run by trustees, not delegates. Central banking is as technical and complex a field as any other, and while those running things need to be accountable to the people, they absolutely need to not make any decisions based on the wishes of the people, because the people have no freaking clue how this stuff works.

For example, if central banking policy was dictated by popular opinion (or politicians who act as delegates of opinion instead of trustees with opinions), the Fed would utilize even more confusing policy that would include a strong push towards tight money austerity. This would be abysmal for the economy. A couple cycles of enough monetary retraction to induce deflation or disinflation would put us in worse position than the bottom of the Great Recession was. The Obama administration is already partly, inadvertently causing problems of monetary austerity through its focus on bubble prevention. The myth of bubbles is a whole 'nother topic.

To answer your question more directly, I think the US President appointing people to head the privately owned Federal Open Market Committee works better than most areas of the US state. It's not perfect, but we live in a world where central banking policy is determined by consensus among economists and other related professionals, and that's the way it should be. There are definitely variations: The ECB is Euro-core centric, so it's policies are dictated by consensus about what benefits the core the most, and the Reserve Bank of Australia has been ahead of their time for decades; Aus doesn't really even have recessions anymore because their central bank keeps growth policy clear and steady
    Really lean women look better in person than they do in pictures. Especially if those pictures are for a fitness competition
    do not like women to look like bacon.
    like women that cook bacon.
    Wuf, check out this video.

Ignore the conspiracy theory angle, I wish every time I find an explanation of this it wasn't with such an agenda, but it seems to me a fractional reserve system and fiat currency has to be a finite system with a miserable end.

The more I read about central banks, the bank of international settlements and the fractional reserve system, the more the whole thing just looks like a complete fraud.

The system just doesn't make sense and plenty of smart people recognize this and quotes of many exist.

Actually, rather than watch the link which gives off an air of having been created by someone wearing a foil hat, explore it yourself. There's plenty of information out there.

http://hiddensecretsofmoney.com/videos/episode-4
    Last edited by rong; 10-19-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot link
    Voltaire said that paper currencies will eventually return to their intrinsic value - zero.
    FWIW, none of those guys knew much about money. They knew about as much about engineering relative to what current engineers know as what is true about economics today compared to back then.

Dan, I've seen a bit of that stuff before, and I do not think it is accurate. One way to provide perspective is near the beginning of the video, the guy claims "there is no such thing as a free lunch." He is wrong. This is a platitude that does not stand up to the evidence. We already know that manipulating technical details of economics can provide free lunches without detracting any value. In fact, we know that this process can be done in a way that creates more value than if we had always stuck to the notion that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The Middle Class didn't exist until central banking, and it kinda can't exist without it. Slow and steady growth is an effectively infinite phenomenon because the slowness and steadiness of it perpetually resets value, so devaluing currencies don't devalue what the currencies represent and instead they increase the production of value because they increase activities based around that value and the creation of more value.

Here's a fantastic graph showing how inflation and deflation have fared over the years. The main points to recognize are that the hard money gold standard of all times before 1933 were disastrous. Every decade saw huge spikes in both directions, and it's not coincidence that the society was broken up into the extremely wealthy and the poor. Then after the US drops the gold standard and learns to make steady growth policy, economic prosperity became a thing unlike anytime in world history. The claims that central banking is a house of cards don't seem to acknowledge that the real house of cards was everything before central banking. Panics every few years, tons of warfare, people living in dirt, almost no technology progress to speak of, and virtually no social mobility.

Also, if it was going to collapse, it would already have done it. It would happen in business cycles, probably in just the first or maybe second one. The idea that the economic system is on the brink of fundamental collapse because of a flaw in economic theory is not much unlike the idea that the holy apocalypse is coming. It's always "just around the corner". Then when it doesn't happen, it's "just around the next corner". Maybe that analogy doesn't resonate with you, but I use it because I've known lots of people who believe it. I do live in Murica after all

Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    Voltaire said that paper currencies will eventually return to their intrinsic value - zero.
    Because it will be fully replaced by digital currency, I bet he didn't predict that.

By far the most money these days is already bits and bytes. Physical currency is only ~10% of the total money in the world.
    Voltaire could also say that the value of digital currency will eventually return to its intrinsic value too.
    Any society that trades more than about 30 different goods and services will always need a currency to make trade possible. So not gonna happen unless we go extinct or disasters wipe most of us out.

Want to know why writing was developed? Not to write out our thoughts. The oldest writing (in stone) that has been uncovered was an inventory. So it was developed for accounting because that is something our brains aren't capable of doing properly. Money is here to stay. In some form or another.
    Oh I'm not disputing the utility of money, nor was Voltaire...
    if Voltaire was so smart, why's he dead? checkmate atheists.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    Oh I'm not disputing the utility of money, nor was Voltaire...
    Good.
    if Voltaire was so smart, why's he dead? checkmate atheists.
    You mean you actually believe that Voltaire's dead? That's just what they want you to think, little lamb.
    Congrats Auburn. A lot of upsets in the SEC today. FSU Clemson coming up, could be epic.
    Weep little lion man. You're not as brave as you were at the start.
    the best

the beeeeeest

and nothingdsgdsfdsfdsfsdbring you down
    Gogo noles! TD#1 didn't take long.
    FSU looking like a contender. Lemarcus Joyner having a big night.
    FSU defense shut down the Tigers. They're gonna make a run at it.
    People who see me but don't know me think I'm the biggest asshole. I always have "bitchy resting face" even when people say things at me, but if I spend any time with them, the joviality comes out, and I come off as the opposite of an asshole

I only recently figured out this might be a problem. A mild one, but whatever
    I was just thinking that the other day about Zach Galifanakis (sp?). He has resting psycho face which is part of what makes him so funny.
    Fuck hallmark holidays
    Last edited by abelardx; 10-20-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: gif swticheroo
    ...I think I enjoy putting a lot of pressure on myself, in a very weird twisted way. It's like a race to get everything done the way I want it to be done, in a very quick fashion.

Offered to make a hobbit costume, and it will only be worn if it's up to standard awesome. It needs to be done by Wednesday to be worn to a party we're going to. I haven't even finished or am remotely close to having my fucking fairy costume done. Which also needs to be done by Wednesday. Rofl, and here I am, sitting on my laptop. At least I have most of the cloak done for the hobbit costume. That costume is easy, mine still has a bunch of glue, sewing, and twisting wire to be done.

I'm hardcore. Hardcore crafty.
    Crafts are cool. They're not my thing but it's neat when people create stuff.
    kenny.fuckin.powers
    Quote Originally Posted by abelardx View Post
    Why are so many in the audience not actually looking at those butts? Probably compensated by the cameraphones.

Also, the middle one wins
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    These girls are talented. Check out the heels they're wearing.

Last edited by abelardx; 10-21-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: video switcheroo
    I watched like 5 different videos of them dancing last night. I am impressed. Not so much about the heels, but just their dancing.

So for the last 3 days I've been making and drinking apple cider vinegar smoothies. This morning I added a banana, and holy fuck damn, I can't even taste the ACV now. The other mornings I was just using frozen berries, organic apple juice, honey, non-gmo yogurt, vanilla flavoring, a bit of water, and of course braggs apple cider vinegar. I could still taste the ACV, and then this morning I added a banana. Oh my god. oh my god. akjwelkfjalwejfalekjfalwe fucking nom.

...Sad times when you get excited over a tastey smoothie.

In other news - fuck finding a vest for the hobbit outfit. In other, other news - sinus pressure.
    Sad times when you get excited over a tastey smoothie.
    Heresy! Smoothies are fucking awesome! All natural ingrediments, and no sugar-added and it's a perfect energy drink / tastey snack / brain food.

If you like the banana, try mango. The flavor is very different, obv, but the fullness and texture is similar.

Also, melon is great high-volume filler, but it wont mask the vinegar flavor, I bet.

Which brings me to this:
    Why are you drinking ACV? I can't stand the smell of vinegar, so the thought of adding it to a tasty treat is throwing me off.
    Can't you just eat a pickle or something to get vinegar? Why ruin a smoothie?
    ACV can be bought in capsule too. Better than ruining good smoothies. I started using Maca and that shit ruins the tast of everything. I started throwing it into some grapefruit juice and guzzling that down before I have lunch.
    Hey Jyms, what's true about ACV? I've heard all sorts of things but have no clue what's what
    The fat loss is very insignificant, it really doesn't help. I have read some things showing that almost any vinegar will help with moving Glycogen into muscles and not store as fat, so it may help with diabetes situations. Most of us don't take enough for this to happen though I have also seen a lot of things showing it helps with Candida and detoxing, but changing a diet can do that as well.

I use it with lemon, Spring water and sometimes Cayenne as detox. It's cheap enough that it won't hurt but may help.
    Well, for me I'm using it to improve my skin, and it's doing a very fine job so far. The brand I'm using is Bragg's, and it's unpasteurized, so it has all the good shit in it. I use 2 tablespoons in the smoothie, and even when I didn't put the banana in it, it didn't taste bad at all.

But, idk about weight loss, but, yeah, I don't need that as I'm currently 100 lbs.
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    Russia beats Saudi Arabia in oil and has more unrecorded asteroid impacts than Canada
    Algeria peaked early, huh?

What is Costa Rica? Happiness?

The Irish get Quality of Life? Fully explained by fresh Guinness.

Really though, who's not going to brag in Mongolia's spot?
    dear rng gods pls stop wrecking me in civ5 thx. i want to get a domination diety win before i die.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Holy shit, 2:57..

I fucking love these Irish/Isle of Mann road race compilations.
    made stuffed shells the other night. homemade sauce as well. was really fucking good. gonna prob make some more today.
    Well, for me I'm using it to improve my skin, and it's doing a very fine job so far. The brand I'm using is Bragg's, and it's unpasteurized, so it has all the good shit in it. I use 2 tablespoons in the smoothie, and even when I didn't put the banana in it, it didn't taste bad at all.

But, idk about weight loss, but, yeah, I don't need that as I'm currently 100 lbs.
    Skin condition can be a huge indicator of toxicity. Your skin is the largest organ but also absorbs some of the most toxic chemicals we use today in cleaning supplies and airborne pollutants. Healthy skin is a healthy body so it is quite possibly helping with detox.
    Mama told me when I was young, Come sit beside me my only son and listen closely to what I say, and if you do this it will help you some sunny day. Take your time. Don't live too fast. Troubles will come and they will pass. You'll find a woman and you'll find love, and don't forget son there is someone up above. Be a simple kind of man. Be something you love and understand. Can you do this for me my son? Forget your lust for the rich man's gold. All that you need is in your soul. You can do this if you try. All I want for you my son is to be satisfied. Boy don't worry, you'll find yourself. Follow your heart and nothing else. You can do this if you try. All I want for you is to be satisfied.
    Go home you damned hick!