Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

500NL too thin?

Default 500NL too thin?

He's a reg who runs 24/6/3. Only folds to flop cbets 40% of the time though. Such a weird style of play.

$2.5/$5 No Limit Holdem
    3 players
    Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
    BTN ($983.95)
    SB ($482.40)
    Hero ($485.00)

Pre-flop: ($7.5, 3 players) Hero is BB
    1 fold, SB calls $2.5, Hero raises to $20, SB calls $15

Flop: ($45, 2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $26, SB calls $26

Turn: ($97, 2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $65, SB calls $65

River: ($227, 2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $180, SB raises to $371.4, Hero folds

Final Pot: $969.8

SB wins $580 ( won +$97.6 )
    Hero lost -$291.00
    standard
    The secret to success in poker is to rig the odds in your favor.
    It sucks to put more than half your stack in and then fold, but what else can you do?

Default Re: 500NL too thin?

Quote Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    Such a weird style of play.
    As a rule, avoid big money bet/fold lines against erratic players.
    I like a check on the river here, or maybe a smaller value bet. I don't see him calling that river bet with much worse than you have and I don't see him folding AJ or better, so the bet seems undesirable to me.
    since the board is about as dry as it gets, cant we check back the river? i dont see what villains calling with that we beat.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Do you have any fold to river bet stats?

Have you seen him c/r much before?

If he's not calling many rivers, and has a tendancy to c/r then a check through is ok here. If he calls a lot of barrels I think a weaker bet here can get looked up lighter.
    I'm not so sure I like the small river bet line because I think if he checkraises a small bet then I'm in a tougher spot than I am now. Although in saying that, whatever about check raising monsters or air I doubt this guy has the cop on to turn something like JT into a bluff on the river which adds favour to a small river b/f.

The reason I bet pretty big is because I was trying to make my hand look like triple barrelled overcards and I was hoping he'd make a hero call. I don't know If I could ever be sure whether this has a higher expectation than a smaller bet which is obviously for value but which also offers him attractive pot odds.

I didn't have a fold to river stat at the time and I couldn't think of a time when he had checkraised in the past. I just checked my database though and found a hand where he checkraised the river with a back door flush.

Looking at his stats now though he folds to flop bet 39% of the time and folds to turn bets 54% of the time and river bets 20% of the time. So basically my strat for this guy is to double barrel the shit out of him and give up on the river a ton until he adjusts. I'm also not going to go for such thin river value because it looks like he folds all his marginals on the turn. Sound good?
    i dont think this is thin at all
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.
    yeah seems fine. flop cbet is a little small though isnt it?
    Oh ya. Thats either a misclick or a messed up HH. I probably ment 36.

Default Re: 500NL too thin?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    Such a weird style of play.
    As a rule, avoid big money bet/fold lines against erratic players.
    great advice