Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

OOP Deep OTT with Combo Draw

Default OOP Deep OTT with Combo Draw

Villain is fishy. The whole table is fishy. They like to limp and I have been raising my good hands. I think a lot of fish are reacting to that by limp/calling a slightly tighter range and kinda auto-floating the flop.

I don't want to bet the turn, get called, and brick the river. I'm not sure if villain will give me a free card or not. So I decide that if villain bets I will check/raise all-in ott. This should fold all but the nuttiest hands and of course I have a ton of outs against everything.

OK plan?

Bovada No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed)

Button ($9.59)
    SB ($0.77)
    Hero (BB) ($10.72)
    UTG ($4.86)
    MP ($5)
    CO ($5.52)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q
    1 fold, MP calls $0.05, CO calls $0.05, Button calls $0.05, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Button calls $0.25, SB calls $0.25

Flop: ($1) K, 2, 6 (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, Button calls $0.80, 1 fold

Turn: ($2.60) J (2 players)

Hero ??
    Yup, looks good to me, now I bet $2 and jam if raised. River brick is where it gets tricky for me. I prob auto shove any river.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    I kinda wanna make it bigger pre, like 0.40?

Yeah am gonna bet this turn and jam any raise, especially as we just picked up a couple more outs.

I probably give up on river if called and we miss though.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Agreed that a little bigger pre might be good. Check-jam turn seems good.
    I don't like check/jam on turn. Looks too much like a draw. Why would you be willing to allow villain to peel river for free if you have a big hand after he calls flop? It kinda takes AK KK AA JJ out of your range imo. Granted, villain is a fish and probably isn't adjusting your range when you c/r turn, but there's still huge value against his flush draws and we want him to throw away his pairs under the K, which he isn't going to do if we check.
    ongies gonna ong
    Just bet the turn. You fold out all the hands worse than Jx that are beating you but don't pay off 3 streets anyways, and you build a big pot with loads of outs to the nuts vs the stuff he doesn't fold which will pay off three streets. Just bet the turn and give up on bricks because trying to make a fish fold a range that is predominantly top pair when he calls this turn is going to be bad.
    My problem with checking brick river is it gives villain the chance to steal the pot with worse flush draws. In betting we can also force him to lay down flush draws that paired. But yeah I definitely don't think this guy is gonna lay down a king on the river if we shove. This is why I find the river a tricky spot when we miss. Up to river is no problem, hand plays itself imo.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't like check/jam on turn. Looks too much like a draw. Why would you be willing to allow villain to peel river for free if you have a big hand after he calls flop? It kinda takes AK KK AA JJ out of your range imo. Granted, villain is a fish and probably isn't adjusting your range when you c/r turn, but there's still huge value against his flush draws and we want him to throw away his pairs under the K, which he isn't going to do if we check.
    Yeah, I agree, on reflection crai sucks for the reasons you've stated.

Also, as both you and carroters said, if he's fishy he actually still has a lot of pairs under the K that he'll fold to the second barrel, so betting is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    My problem with checking brick river is it gives villain the chance to steal the pot with worse flush draws. In betting we can also force him to lay down flush draws that paired. But yeah I definitely don't think this guy is gonna lay down a king on the river if we shove. This is why I find the river a tricky spot when we miss. Up to river is no problem, hand plays itself imo.
    Thing is though when you have the A and Q of diamonds and there's a K and J on the board there really aren't too many naked flush draws left in his range, at least not compared to the combos of Kx and other stuff that isn't folding on the river.
    More pre- for sure.

Smaller on flop as played imo though, maybe 60c. Villain will most likely go all the way with Kx and there isn't a need to bet bigger given we won't improve just over half the time. Bet turn half pot too for similar reasoning and c/f unimproved or overbet jam if 10x or a diamond rivers.

It's better to bet the turn, as we fold out the remaining weak holdings, we can set our own price and we maximise value when we do hit, since we can just cbet all in, rather than donk jamming or hoping that villain bets and we can crai. Chk/jam the turn is a bad play at these stakes as nobody folds top pair or better, but it can be a useful line against regs as you move up the stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters View Post
    Thing is though when you have the A and Q of diamonds and there's a K and J on the board there really aren't too many naked flush draws left in his range, at least not compared to the combos of Kx and other stuff that isn't folding on the river.
    That's a very good point.
    ongies gonna ong