Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

25nl zoom - turn bet too small?

Default 25nl zoom - turn bet too small?

Previously saw this guy raise button and carry on to showdown with mid pair with Q8o in small pot. Small sample of hands though so no real feel for his play. I think I should have put in a bit more on the turn looking at this spot. On the river I wasn't too sure whether I was looking at a set v set situation or a completed draw.

PokerStars - $0.25 NL FAST - Holdem - 9 players

BTN: 134.76 BB (VPIP: 13.04, PFR: 8.70, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
    SB: 105.16 BB (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
    BB: 139.6 BB (VPIP: 13.13, PFR: 9.94, 3Bet Preflop: 4.68, Hands: 1,580)
    Hero (UTG): 192.48 BB
    UTG+1: 100 BB (VPIP: 11.74, PFR: 8.88, 3Bet Preflop: 2.49, Hands: 1,315)
    MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 14.54, PFR: 12.43, 3Bet Preflop: 4.64, Hands: 1,501)
    MP+1: 203.28 BB (VPIP: 15.94, PFR: 5.80, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 69)
    MP+2: 99 BB (VPIP: 10.60, PFR: 5.97, 3Bet Preflop: 2.54, Hands: 526)
    CO: 96.12 BB (VPIP: 10.86, PFR: 5.11, 3Bet Preflop: 1.16, Hands: 456)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K K

Hero raises to 3.4 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 3.4 BB, SB calls 3 BB, fold

Flop: (11.2 BB, 3 players) 7 J 3
    SB checks, Hero bets 10 BB, BTN calls 10 BB, fold

Turn: (31.2 BB, 2 players) K
    Hero bets 16 BB, BTN calls 16 BB

River: (63.2 BB, 2 players) 5
    Hero bets 40 BB, BTN raises to 105.36 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 65.36 BB
    Last edited by renegaderob1; 01-01-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    I would say turn sizing is way too small. this isn't 6max either its FR but it seems to me that villain is going to have Jx a lot, 13/8 even a small sample is going to end up being like 16/10 which is prob. standard I guess. (idk I don't play FR anymore, only when I play live) but yea I think turn should be in 24-26BB range for bet sizing. which would make your river sizing about 25-28 BBs more. do you think villain is going to have flush?
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get." ~ courtesy of my fortune cookie from china king

"One of the best pieces of advice I've ever read in this forum was three words long...

bet fucking fold." Ong
    flop bet is too big, as played turn bet is too small, villain has indicated he likes his hand after calling close to pot on the flop. Go ahead and make it 27 on the turn.
    villain's range is something like KJ/JJ/77/33/AA/AhJh/Ah7h but mostly AhJh/JJ
    Quote Originally Posted by acg123 View Post
    I would say turn sizing is way too small. this isn't 6max either its FR but it seems to me that villain is going to have Jx a lot, 13/8 even a small sample is going to end up being like 16/10 which is prob. standard I guess. (idk I don't play FR anymore, only when I play live) but yea I think turn should be in 24-26BB range for bet sizing. which would make your river sizing about 25-28 BBs more. do you think villain is going to have flush?

His river play made me think flush with AhJh was a real possibility, but you'd expect a raise on flop with that holding wouldn't you?
    I had his turn range at something like what daven listed at the time.

Not that the results matter but I instantly buddy listed him when I saw what he turned.
    Quote Originally Posted by renegaderob1 View Post
    His river play made me think flush with AhJh was a real possibility, but you'd expect a raise on flop with that holding wouldn't you?
    not necessarily, you bet almost full pot, hes not going to feel good about raising a hand that could be crushed. his range is wider than you think, you didn't bet strong enough for a weak-tight player to fold, if he floated you with something weak hes not folding OTT for half-pot when he just called a PSB OTF. flush,set,2pair is villains range OTR. you beat everything but flushes and he only has a few combos of those so I think this is snap call no question. if turn is A, 4,5,6 then its a different story. flop size should be 7-8BBs, turn should be 17-18BBs river should be 45ish. never folding to a raise. villain isn't going to hit a runner runner flush often enough for us to fold.
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get." ~ courtesy of my fortune cookie from china king

"One of the best pieces of advice I've ever read in this forum was three words long...

bet fucking fold." Ong
    Quote Originally Posted by acg123 View Post
    not necessarily, you bet almost full pot, hes not going to feel good about raising a hand that could be crushed. his range is wider than you think, you didn't bet strong enough for a weak-tight player to fold, if he floated you with something weak hes not folding OTT for half-pot when he just called a PSB OTF
    Ok, thanks. This is what I was thinking with his call OTT.

I hadn't considered he'd push with two pair OTR, was thinking flush/set so still made the call because as you said, he isn't hitting runner runner enough to make me fold that