Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default Pay off QJ?

No real read, I had a TIGHT note but that was from a 30 SNG so it was probably 3 years ago (and in HE).

Comments on all streets welcome.

I almost folded river - if that's bad, how much do we need behind before I should consider a fold vs unknown?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $2 BB (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

saw flop|saw showdown

SB ($187.10)
    BB ($295.20)
    UTG ($304.20)
    MP ($389.45)
    CO ($396.55)
    Hero ($198)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7, 9, 6, 9.
    3 folds, Hero raises to $7, SB calls $6, BB calls $5.

Flop: ($21) 8, 4, 6 (3 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $19.95, SB calls $19.95, BB folds.

Turn: ($60.90) T (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $57.95, SB calls $57.95.

River: ($176.80) 9 (2 players)
    SB bets $102.2 (All-In), Hero calls $102.20.

Final Pot: $381.20
    I think the biggest problem with making this call is that even when you're right and he doesn't have QJxx or J7xx you're going to be chopping

This seems like a suicide bluff from an aware player after you've practically potted the flop+turn. However, if he's a thinker he understand how bad this board now looks for a set and certainly could be bluffing putting you on exactly that.

We're getting 2.7:1 so we need to be good 1/3.7 of the time or ~27% however, there is a chopping-dynamic we have to look at.

Let's assign some frequencies:

30% of the time he has a Ten-High straight
    65% of the time he has us beat
    5% of the time he's bluffing

(.30)(+139)+(.65)(-102)+(.05)(+$279)= -$11

So with those frequencies, which, mind you could be WAY off, we lose nearly $11 on every call.

Bluffing 10% of the time we get:

(.30)(+139)+(.60)(-102)+(.10)(+$279)= +$8.4

So if he's bluffing only 1 in 10 times and value-betting the same hand 3 in ten times it looks like a call. This is a spot where unless you're in it a lot you never going to be totally sure what the right play is. I think if you ever want to know what the correct play is here you'll need to call here. You're going to see the nuts a good amount, let's look at how bad the call could be:

20% Chop
    80% Better-hand

(.2)(+139)+(.80)(-102)= -$53.8

So you lose $54 on average on every call in a worse-case scenario.
    ty, nice post. I def factored in the value of info when I was calling, I figured/hoped with the price it couldn't be that bad.

FWIW in white:

Seat 1: jjking (small blind) showed [Ks Td 3h Qd] and lost with a pair of Tens
    He has a few major leaks, can you identify any of them?

Also, his bluff is quite good, you just happened to have the bottom of your calling range as I don't believe you'd call with a set here.
    drawing to the non nuts

He has meh implied odds

and no pot odds even if he's sure the flush is good

and all this is OOP

I think/hope if I were him I would have folded pre, on the flop and on the turn. I guess I could see a flop CR. I thought the river was the only street he played good. I just looked him up in PT and over 40 hands he ran 60 VPIP, lol
    good call.
    two flush possibilities makes calling almost mandatory against an unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    Would you bone your cousins? Salsa would.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa4ever
    well courtie, since we're both clear, would you accept an invitation for some unprotected sex?