Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Let's turn a set into a bluff

Default Let's turn a set into a bluff

Haha Hold'em donks made ya look.

I'm not suppsoed to be playing 100PLO til I win a bajillion buyins at $50PLO but I wanted to gamboooooool. Dude bought in full seems decent enough.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (4 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

SB ($106.65)
    BB ($47)
    Hero ($255.65)
    Button ($108.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8, Q, K, 8.
    Hero raises to $3.5, Button calls $3.50, SB calls $3, BB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($14) 6, 7, 8 (4 players)
    SB bets $11.5, BB folds, Hero calls $11.50, Button folds.

Turn: ($37) A (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $13.5, SB calls $13.50.

River: ($64) Q (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $40.25
    Why did you bet turn so small? What flushes would you make that bet with? I don't care for the line because if you did it with the 2nd NF I'd say it's great because he likely has a straight that maybe turned into a shitty flush and you don't want to blow him out on the turn.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I dont like the turn and river, I can see the turn bet but it has to be bigger, once he called the turn bet he would probably call the river if he has str8 or flush

What about checking the turn back then raising a river lead?

We probably bluff the same amount but on one street, we have the nut-blocker, and we get the chance to bink an 6,7,8, or Ace for free.
    I wish it was a lower spade on the turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    I wish it was a lower spade on the turn.
    Why? The As is the only card that guarantees our opponent can't have the nuts.

I think the turn bet is probably bad. The only reason to bet is to get him to fold a flush (almost no worse hands call here, so there's little value), but the fact that you have the Ks means not only that your opponent can't have the nut flush, but also that he drew to a non-nut flush on the flop if he has one, and so probably isn't going to fold it on the turn. This means you're going to have to bluff twice if you want him to fold a flush, and he may not be willing to fold at all, even if you think he should. It's possible that you're accomplishing nothing with this bet other than charging yourself to draw. Without a set, I think this is closer to a bet than with one.

I just check behind on the turn and consider pot raising the river if he leads, since at that point you can almost guarantee he has a flush and raising the river is probably the best way to get him to fold it.
    I missed we have the Ks, but I still don't think we get near as much credit for a flush with the As out.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    I missed we have the Ks, but I still don't think we get near as much credit for a flush with the As out.
    I thought you missed that, frankly it was my only reason for bluffing the turn.
    I just think it's hard enough to get people to fold non nut flushes when they don't know anything, let alone when they know you don't have the ace.