Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Toasty's Math Puzzel 1

Default Toasty's Math Puzzel 1

I thought I'd liven up the forum a little with some off topic stuff.

Scenario:
    There are five fence pannels and three pots of paint. One Blue, one Red and one Green. Every panel needs to be painted.

Example

Blue Blue Red Red Green

How many ways can you paint the fence panels using all three colors?

There is more than enough paint.
    order matters, 5 panels 3 magnitudes
    5x4x3 = 60
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
    What iz dis maf?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    There are exactly infinite ways to paint them. Using the 4 color theorem adjusted to only 3 colors, it is painfully obvious that you can paint each panel multiple times with several different colors thanks to Riemann's formulas. Going further, we can also say that we cant paint any posts by newtons 2nd law of motion since there is a possibility that we cannot apply enough force to open the can. Exploring further still, schrodinger's equation can be used to model this phenomena as a probabilistic space and then we can say that there exists with varying likelihoods the chance that each post be painted between 0 and infinite colors. Finally, skipping some remedial Green's Theorem identities with some 4th dimensional integrals, we see that the answer is 54.
    I ain't paintin' shit till I find out what it pays.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I ain't paintin' shit till I find out what it pays.
    Winnar!
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    There are exactly infinite ways to paint them. Using the 4 color theorem adjusted to only 3 colors, it is painfully obvious that you can paint each panel multiple times with several different colors thanks to Riemann's formulas. Going further, we can also say that we cant paint any posts by newtons 2nd law of motion since there is a possibility that we cannot apply enough force to open the can. Exploring further still, schrodinger's equation can be used to model this phenomena as a probabilistic space and then we can say that there exists with varying likelihoods the chance that each post be painted between 0 and infinite colors. Finally, skipping some remedial Green's Theorem identities with some 4th dimensional integrals, we see that the answer is 54.
    I love this.
    Meh I was browsing ancient posts a few weeks back (just to see how FTR was back in the days I first joined) and saw the solution to this one :/ I'll be willing to try out others tho
    i'm saying 2 ways tops. either all the same color, or multicolor.
    do the right thing.
    I bet OP is Miyagi...

Quote Originally Posted by ISF
    Getting good at poker is like that scene in the matrix where Neo suddenly sees that everyone is just a bunch of structured numbers and then he starts bending those numbers in really weird ways.
    I miss Toasty.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    every "hitchhikers guide to the univerers" reader knows the answer to this is 42.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_MM View Post
    every "hitchhikers guide to the univerers" reader knows the answer to this is 42.
    Haha, I was going to write this but I got lazy
    LOL OPERATIONS
    how many ways could you paint them? hmmmm, let's see. you could paint them with a brush, you could paint them with a roller, you could paint them with your fingers, you could paint them by throwing the paint on them, and so on and so on. I bet there are hundreds of ways you could paint them.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.