Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Progress update at the 10NL level.

Default Progress update at the 10NL level.

Okay, I have my first 11,500 hands at the 10NL level on Bovada.

Hands played between 11/27 and 12/24

Net profit over rake: $132.86

BB/100 = 5.75

Current reading: Theory of Poker

Current biggest leaks:

-Playing suited connectors and small pocket pairs out of position.

-Playing suited connectors without a sufficient number of pre-flop opponents to give me the implied odd I need to make these hands profitable.

-Getting trapped into thin value hands from the BB.

-Over-aggression on the turn. I'm still missing a lot of value due to making heavy raises OTR that turn my value hands into bluffs, or insure that my monsters won't get paid off. This is a huge leak to my BB/100.

-Not yet knowing the range and strategy to play against a table full of aggro-donks. (Unfortunately, this is a common table at the 10NL level of Bovada on a late weekend night. And these players seem to have an increasing level of aggression by street, ending with a contest to see who can bluff-shove the fastest. Normal pot control and board reading work against me with these players, and I'm still trying to find the range and methods of beating a table full of them.)

*Any links or articles on dealing with this type of table would be appreciated.

I'm somewhat happy with the 5.75 BB/100 that I've made over the last 11.5K hands, but I keep seeing glaring mistakes that I'm making, and I know that this figure could have been a lot higher if I had played better. I also don't know if it's normal to see a saw effect in my stack where it goes down $1-3 dollars over an hour or so, but can also explode upward when I stack someone with a straight or set vs their TPTK.

Finally, thanks to everyone on FTR who have been pointing me in the right direction when I have questions. I'm sure that it has contributed greatly to by current BB/100.
    Last edited by davisrei; 12-25-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    -Playing suited connectors without a sufficient number of pre-flop opponents to give me the implied odd I need to make these hands profitable.
    This really jumped out at me. What you've said here is more like what I would expect out of someone who is learning fixed-limit hold'em. In no-limit and pot-limit hold'em, one reason suited connectors are valuable on a basic level is how aggressive you can be with them post-flop. I'm not sure where your level of understanding is on this type of thing, but they aren't just there to be played passively.
    sounds like your doing pretty well. I also think spoon made a real good point to you.

w/ sc's worrying about the number of opp's that are in the hand is silly. though they're good multi-way, but if your acting on this you'll probably be calling w/ them too much oop in the blinds. idk
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    This really jumped out at me. What you've said here is more like what I would expect out of someone who is learning fixed-limit hold'em. In no-limit and pot-limit hold'em, one reason suited connectors are valuable on a basic level is how aggressive you can be with them post-flop. I'm not sure where your level of understanding is on this type of thing, but they aren't just there to be played passively.
    I was thinking in terms of how SC's lose very little of their showdown value in multi-way pots, as opposed to hands such as AK.

But I can see what you're saying about playing these too passively, now that you've pointed it out. I'll start searching for SC HH's to review. If you know of any good ones or articles, I'd appreciate that as well.

WeldPhaser,

Yes, one of my leaks is from the blinds, and I suspect that SC's are partially responsible. I may need to up my aggressiveness with SC's in position, and tighten my range out of the lower end of the SC's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davisrei View Post
    Over-aggression on the turn. I'm still missing a lot of value due to making heavy raises OTR that turn my value hands into bluffs, or insure that my monsters won't get paid off. This is a huge leak to my BB/100.
    This may be the challenge of 10NL on Bovada. I've found that my worst days, I come away from it thinking, "Man, I missed a ton of thin value bets OTR, and didn't fold enough to flop aggression when I was trying to steal dead money and really should've taken a free card". 10NL on Bovada is a crazy land of strange c/r's and mad flop aggression, that is sure. I find turn and river raises to be far more passive, though. Maybe it's just my style that slows them down when I continue after the flop.

To re-state it... my best days are when I'm fully conscious of how my bets affect Villain's range. Also, I am more keen to notice what the SPR's will be on the flop if I call before I call a PFR. No playing implied odds hands against a villain with $3 or less.

-Not yet knowing the range and strategy to play against a table full of aggro-donks
    They're loose-passive pre-flop w/ anything less than QQ,AK, so you're pretty safe raising pre-flop with strong hands or strong position. Implied odds IP are very high. Bluff rarely, and in well chosen spots where you have a read.
    Remember the fundamental rule of beating the micros: Learn to V-bet effectively.

I also don't know if it's normal to see a saw effect in my stack where it goes down $1-3 dollars over an hour or so, but can also explode upward when I stack someone with a straight or set vs their TPTK.
    I see $40 swings up and down in single sessions (5 - 8 hours) playing 4 tables of 10NL on Bovada. Winning or losing 10BB at any stakes is just, "Oops, that C-bet failed." No worries, keep playing.
    Think about it. You PFR to 4BB, there's a call, blinds fold. There's 9.5BB in the pot. Flop comes, "who cares, I'm HU IP and I'm fyooking C-betting 80+% against this tool". So you C-bet 6BB into 9.5BB, then Villain c/r's your ass and you whiffed. Easy fold.
    Cost: 10BB.
    Who cares? Not me and not you. You'll get away with far more stealing of dead money than they're willing to bluff raise you with, so just b/f your air and b/c your monsters. They'll fire again, or they were bluffing, but you made up for the loss with the times they folded and the times you nutted.

Does this make any sense? My family just left and I'm kind of (extremely) buzzed right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Does this make any sense? My family just left and I'm kind of (extremely) buzzed right now.
    It all makes perfect sense. And all good information to digest.

Have a good night all, and a good holiday.