Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

zoom NL5 KQs straight on river

Default zoom NL5 KQs straight on river

Hi, I have no hud so I have no stats on the villian. I think I should have folded the river, because the only hand that he would play like tha is AK right? I called hoping for a chop, But I can risk 200bb in the process.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

Button ($19.74)
    Hero (SB) ($10.65)
    BB ($12.04)
    UTG ($2.43)
    UTG+1 ($5.89)
    MP1 ($4)
    MP2 ($6.79)
    MP3 ($2.24)
    CO ($7.59)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, K
    6 folds, Button raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) 10, Q, 9 (3 players)
    Hero checks, BB checks, Button bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, 1 fold

Turn: ($1.15) 6 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button checks

River: ($1.15) J (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.73, Button raises to $19.24 (All-In), Hero calls $9.42 (All-In)

Total pot: $21.45 | Rake: $0.89
    Last edited by matiusaa; 06-20-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Villain bets 5x PSB (ESS) on the river... you claim to have no read... and you called with less than the nuts.
    Uh oh.

Rough and dirty pot odds:
    5/(5+6) ~= 45%

IF you had a read that Villain makes sick overbet bluffs OTR, and you think the range of those bluffs composes over 45% of his total range (ignoring chops), then you can call.

Otherwise, lol fold unless you have the nuts, and shake your head at his dumb bet that served only to increase the rake you both paid into that pot if he turns over the nuts for a chop.
    Zi would b/ f flop and turn. C/ decide river. As played fold river
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    You didn't realize this at the time, but you can't really profit at all on the river even if you win. I'll show you why.

When you call hoping for a chop, you're essentially playing for half of the pot. In this case, after you make your bet, the total pot is about $1.88, so when he shoves, you're looking to call for half of that, which comes to about $0.94.

However, when you call this giant shove, you're paying rake on all of it. The rake on the additional $9.42 you're calling is already $0.45 or so, and when you multiply that by two (to account for his shove), you're paying like $0.90 in rake on the call. Even if you win, you're making something like $0.04 on average (give or take). Compared to the $9.42 you're risking with the call, you can win something like 499 times out of 500 and still have this be a losing play.
    This is a really easy river fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong