Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

Bluff catcher - unnecessary or standard?

Default Bluff catcher - unnecessary or standard?

Hey folks,

9000 hands into 10NL and showing an ok win rate. Every man and his dog seems to 3bet in late position and from the blinds.

In this hand i turn kk into a bluff catcher. Was this ok or fancy-play-syndrome bs?

MP2 (14/11 over 114) opens and BB's call of my 3bet prices in alot of hands that MP2 may have folded to the 3bet so i think his calling range is basically the same as his opening range (88+, ATs+, ATo+, KJs+, KJo+). His check/call on the flop seems pretty standard with all his pp, 888 and Jx, maybe his big Aces? On the turn i thought the turn cbet would basically narrow his range to JJ+ 888 and his Jx, which i have less than 50% equity against, so i checked to induce a river bet to catch his smaller pp and his bluffs. Should i have b/f turn and c/f river or is my line ok? If my line is ok i feel committed to call any bet if the river bricks because that is what i have set up for. Is there a sizing from the villain that i fold to after checking the turn? Even up to a psb his range can be polarised.

My gut instinct was villain shows QQ.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

UTG+1 ($15.54)
    MP1 ($11.01)
    MP2 ($9.45)
    MP3 ($14.34)
    CO ($14.70)
    Hero (Button) ($10)
    SB ($15.98)
    BB ($8.74)
    UTG ($9.38)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, K
    3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.90, 1 fold, BB calls $0.80, MP2 calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.75) 8, J, J (3 players)
    BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.75, 1 fold, MP2 calls $1.75

Turn: ($6.25) 4 (2 players)
    MP2 checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.25) 9 (2 players)
    MP2 bets $4.77, Hero calls $4.77

Total pot: $15.79 | Rake: $0.71
    This is what so sucks about poker. You get everyone to fold but one stinking person. Usually when I bet 90 cents on the flop,
    I do the same thing on the turn and river. I make my opponent pay to see the next card, so I would not check the turn.
    After seeing JJ on the flop, if a person raises higher than my 90 cents on the flop, turn or river, I would fold.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk, but a lifetime to learn when to shut up.
    I don't think a 14/11 is flatting a 3bet with AJ especially with a caller in front.(stats on caller would help) . FR nits flatting range seems to be QQ,AK. AA and KK are likely to be getting it in pre. I think the only Ax villain is likely to have is AhQ or QQ.
    I think you definitely want to bet the turn here because QQ is such a massive part of his range. Stats on BB would be helpful for the flop play.
    I only had 18 hands on BB, so nothing reliable. He was 18/6. Hadn't seen a hand of theirs go to showdown.

So we are ok getting it in here to turn raise or river donk seeing as we are weighting towards QQ?
    I feel like you gotta value town all 3 streets, especially at 10NL the only draw that gets there is Q10. They are likely calling multiple streets with a heart draw (Axh, KQh), Q's, 10's, etc.
    If we put ourselves in MP2's position and we open 88+, ATs+, ATo+, KJs+, KJo+. Against a 3bet from lp and a call from a relative unknown in the BB is it a mistake to flat with KJs+, AJs+ and set farm with our pp's 88+?

I have only just moved up to 10 NL Pokerstars FR. My impression is that there is a lot of 3bet stealing from LP and the blinds, which we should be opening our calling range/4bet range up against?
    Don't expect many Jx in his range. Mostly TT,QQ here. Could have some Axhh.

Either way, definitely bet turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    if you are going to bet flop here you should really consider a smaller sizing, around $1
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    if you are going to bet flop here you should really consider a smaller sizing, around $1
    I am terribad so can you explain the reasoning here? Bet smaller to keep him calling with a wider range or so we do not pot commit ourselves betting the turn and facing a c/r or a river donk?

Edit: There isn't much finesse to my bet sizing. I tend to just click the 2/3rds button if i am betting.
    Last edited by Openside; 04-21-2015 at 08:48 PM.