Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Thoery? 13 players left open 99 from UTG v.s 3 bet now ????

Question Thoery? 13 players left open 99 from UTG v.s 3 bet now ????

This is based on a ICM situation that i had last night on Lock Poker. I am at work so i am unable to post the HH; But i was really concerned about my 4-bet all-in with 30bb's effectiver with 99 from the High jack. Yestersday i read an article here about setting goals and pacing yourself in mtt's. I found this read to be very valuable for me as an mtt player, and so i went for it.

The Mtt was the Lock $5 rebuy last night on the Revolution gaming network. My first goal was to reach $17,000 in chips to have the itm stack. Once accomplished i need around 34K to make the final 15 in which case i did also. Up to this point i was very happy with my play and followed my goals according to the article.

My next goal was to aquire 64k in chips to make the final table! I also ended up with 68K in hand with about 13 players left in the tournament. Around this time three consecutive hands occured during this point of the tournament. Blinds were around 1000/2000 ante 50 or so? can't really remember! UTG opens 2.5x with around 40+ bb's and i decide to flat my AKo from early MP. I ended up losing a small pot here to his 8Ts on a J-T-3-8-2 board.

The very next hand i open raised KTs from utg+2 and got a call from the sb. I c-bet and win the pot! The third hand in a row i open 99 from UTG with about 28bb's behind. The c/o who has not been active at all decided to 3 bet small to 8889 v.s my 4444 open. With 30bb's effective stacks and holding 99 v.s this players range and my image at the time. I really felt like he could be making a move here,since i had been so active the past three hands.

Also we were nearing the FT bubble, and i thought he may have percieved me as trying steal pots during this phase of the tournament. My goal at this point was to have 64-68K in chips to make the FT. So in fact i had accomplished this; And at the same time my thinking would be insta 4-bet shove here with 20-25 players left itm. But because we were so close to the fnal table; And at the time i was 4th in chips! Im really not sure if the risk was worth the reward here.

My heart is telling me that i could have found a better spot. But my gut was telling me that he was making a move; And if i was right and won a flip at best with my 99's. I would be chipleader at the final table and 60+ bb's deep after winning the hand, and with 12 players left! Does ICM play a part in this spot????? Can i find a fold here?? Am i a pussy if i fold? Can i flat 30 bigs here and jam flop with no Aces? Can i call smallish 3 bet and check fold?

My answer= I thought about it for about 8 seconds or so and 4 bet jammed. Honestly i had no plan!!!! And i feel like a huge donk for that!!!

He had ( KQo ) and ( won )the hand!!!! *will post after some replies!!!!!!
    Last edited by P0KerHoE69; 06-08-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    I'm folding the 99 to 3bet. If this guy was 3betting often, then yeah I'd 4bet shove him, but if he's been quiet I'll respect this raise and put him on TT+ AQ+ AJs+ at widest.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Thank you for your reply sir!
    I really felt like he could be making a move here,since i had been so active the past three hands.
    This is kind of a dangerous assumption because your saying that
    1. They have been paying close attention to the action
    2. They are capable of adjusting to you

I haven't played online since black friday so I don't know if the play at these stakes has changed, but I would fold there especially since your 4th in chips
    Im pretty much hearing fold from 4 different forums lol. ty 4 your reply also.
    Slow day at work?
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Your shove is a lot better than his call.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong