Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

a misplayed hand

Default a misplayed hand

27 man FT. I know I misplayed this hand which then costed me to bubble out. Previously, villian raised me with A2 at SB, i pushed with JJ and doubled up. He also called a 2.5x preflop raise with K8o at BB and doubled up after flopping two pair. This is like 3rd time he raise pre in 10-15 hands at FT.

I guess I should have shoved pre.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 (t7168)
    MP2 (t8830)
    Hero (CO) (t4165)
    Button (t3198)
    SB (t4775)
    BB (t4645)
    UTG (t7719)

Hero's M: 8.77

Preflop: Hero is CO with 10, 10
    2 folds, MP2 bets t600, Hero calls t600, 3 folds

Flop: (t1675) 8, K, 9 (2 players)
    MP2 bets t800, Hero calls t800

Turn: (t3275) A (2 players)
    MP2 bets t600, Hero folds

Total pot: t3275
    Yep, just shove preflop, particularly with your read that opp will call with hands that you dominate. Any time the chips in the pot are >15% of your stack and you have a hand you want to play (TT definitely qualifies here) just shove preflop.

As played, fold the flop.
    I like what taipan said about the >15%. I play turbos so I bring that # down to 10%. But yeah, shove pre...Even though this board improves like 90% of his range lol.

Well played post flop, although I would fold flop. By calling your basically putting villain on a range of AQ, AJ, 22-77 only. You have to discount all draws because your letting him draw cheap.

Whats even more weird is that I would be temped to shove turn as played .
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan168
    Any time the chips in the pot are >15% of your stack and you have a hand you want to play (TT definitely qualifies here) just shove preflop.
    thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by revolvingiris
    Whats even more weird is that I would be temped to shove turn as played .
    I actually thought of folding pre or going all in on the flop. About shoving on the turn, since his bet size gets smaller on the turn, he either has a really good hand or a little of it.
    The problem with shoving the turn is that even though I agree it's weird that he bet less on the turn than on the flop, opp is getting such good pot odds to call your shove given all the chips already in the pot and Hero's remaining stack size that he almost never folds Ax or Kx here.
    I can see a case for raising or calling preflop, however once you called preflop I would fold on the flop

easy shove pre. as played shove the flop. this is a good flop in that there are lots of hands besides Kx he might call with.

Quote Originally Posted by TLR
    I can see a case for raising or calling preflop, however once you called preflop I would fold on the flop
    What case is that? What flops are you playing? how often do they occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    easy shove pre. as played shove the flop. this is a good flop in that there are lots of hands besides Kx he might call with.
    I can see the case for shoving over on the flop after the erroneous flat call preflop, since this is very likely to be opp c-betting the flop and I also agree there are a lot of hands other than Kx that he might have raised preflop.

One factor that is relevant to me here is the fact that it's the bubble (maybe less relevant because it's a 3-table SNG) and stacks are still relatively deep. We can fold the flop and still have an M of 7.5.
    I'm saying he can call with 9x, maybe 8x and for sure lots of draws, that's much better than a flop like K64r where we'd much more often be drawing to two outs when called. When he calls or folds that flop he's almost always playing correctly, here he can make some mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan168
    The problem with shoving the turn is that even though I agree it's weird that he bet less on the turn than on the flop, opp is getting such good pot odds to call your shove given all the chips already in the pot and Hero's remaining stack size that he almost never folds Ax or Kx here.
    I guess I might be fine with that being I doubt villain shows up with much here and some of which we beat.

Quote Originally Posted by TLR
    What case is that? What flops are you playing? how often do they occur?
    If I call and not raise preflop I would fold to any flop with AKQ or 2 overcards in which villian leads out

Thats over 33% of the flops and often you'll fold the best hand, sometimes when you have him drawing to 2 outs which is hopefully the worst fold you'll make this year. Why would that be better than moving in pre? Also the most common time for overs to come is when he doesn't have them.
    easy shove pre. as played call the flop.
    Just so we can have all three flop plays recommended in this thread!

I do think that shoving the flop is a whole lot better than folding it though, but I like calling best.