Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

AK in BB 3 bet pot

Default AK in BB 3 bet pot

10/25$HK 10-handed table(10/25 sb/bb 500-5000 buyin). UTG villian is semi-loose but a bit aggressive.He probably doesnt know what he is doing here and what showdown value means. I see him bet huge with TPWK on river flush card.Villian raises $150 from UTG, BT calls who is a bad regular,hero picks in BB 3bet to $600,UTG thinks a while but hesitates to call anyway,BT folds.
    utg: 2.5K
    hero:3.5k
    flop(1.4k): hero ? shoves or checks to see what this dude is gonna do?
    Last edited by pokerfan; 09-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Doesn't this hit his range semi-hard? It would be helpful if we knew he raised UTG with hands like QJ, JT, 66+ etc. It seems not likely you would over shove with AA-KK here but villain may not be able to make thin calls. You could try under betting?
    are the stack sizes mentioned the stack sizes at the start of the hand? or the stack sizes going to the flop?
    not a good flop to bet.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Hands like this just need to be better thought out preflop.

In the situation you presented I am almost always just going to call here preflop for a couple of reasons: 1) UTG is aggressive so he will likely pay us off when we hit an A or K flop especially because we are disguising the strength of our hand; and 2) stacksizes make it such that if we do 3-bet we are likely going to have to either bet/shove flop and turn or we are going to have to c/fold flop and since we have bloated the pot and don't want to give up at this point we are more likely to bluff at this pot then not.

As played, I just c/fold here and play my AK face up.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chardrian View Post
    Hands like this just need to be better thought out preflop.

In the situation you presented I am almost always just going to call here preflop for a couple of reasons: 1) UTG is aggressive so he will likely pay us off when we hit an A or K flop especially because we are disguising the strength of our hand; and 2) stacksizes make it such that if we do 3-bet we are likely going to have to either bet/shove flop and turn or we are going to have to c/fold flop and since we have bloated the pot and don't want to give up at this point we are more likely to bluff at this pot then not.

As played, I just c/fold here and play my AK face up.
    HeadsUp,i dont mind flatting with AK in bb VS utg player. In 3 way pot, i always 3bet/isolate UTG loose player.In the moment, i though about over shoving(just a bit more than PSB) but chose to check instead. Villian bet $800, i folded and he flipped over 44.
    Last edited by pokerfan; 09-11-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    If you feel you have to 3-bet here then I'd rather you set up the go'n'go and raise from like 800-1000 so you can just shove any flop.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    yeah more pre + bomb flop
    Bet the flop. From there you're probably pot stuck, but whatever.

What do folks think about making it $300 PF?