Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

terribly misplayed hand

Default terribly misplayed hand

MP1 and I had played a few heads up hands before and I thought I had a good read on him (his stats were 26/9/1.5 (78)). He had raised/reraised tp on the flop 3 times against me (losing to a set twice that I capped every street until he slowed down on the 2nd hand and winning one w/ tptk). If he had tp again, I thought he'd reraise and I could get away from the hand losing 1 extra bb instead of 2.5 extra bb, but then he calls and I didn't know where I stood. He might have had kicker issues, he might have had mid pair/bottom pair, or he might have had a good king but been afraid of another monster hand. Despite my check on the turn, I didn't figure he'd call with a worse hand on the river (and what anyway? A10? JJ?). Plus I've been working on toning down my river aggression in spots like this lately.

How would you have played this hand given the read on the opp?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, Q.
    2 folds, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, 4 folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T, K, 9 (2 players)
    MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3 (2 players)
    MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 9 (2 players)
    MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB
    WA/WB situation. This is tough, because in games I play, there's no way he's checking K on river after your turn check... so my first instinct was easy value bet.

What's he leading into you after pre 3bet? Do you think you're getting worse hand to call river? Will A-high call? You definitely lost the min.
    "We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing!" -Doyle
    Dude when I see your hand there's no way that you could achieve a better result by c/c every street

I like the raise because it slows him down, if he has AK he'll probably 3 bet unless he's a nit and we'll just call hoping to hit our 6 outs and know that we can fold in that spot

but if he just calls we can call a bet on the river
    I had 2 main problems with how I played this hand. First, I didn't have a plan for if he flat called. I hadn't seen how he handled a raise w/ a weak hand and didn't know what he'd bet but fold to a raise with getting that price anyway. Second, I didn't trust my read. I thought tp or better would be reraising me and when he didn't and then checked the turn and river, I didn't follow through with a value bet. I've been working on cutting down on my river aggression, but I think this was a spot where I missed a great value bet opportunity from not trusting my read.

Of course, this may be my fault for making the mistake of being results-oriented on this hand (he had A10).
    With your read this is an easy turn bet, sounds like a player who turns his hand face up on the flop a lot and still cannot find the fold button when he is shown he is behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73
    With your read this is an easy turn bet, sounds like a player who turns his hand face up on the flop a lot and still cannot find the fold button when he is shown he is behind.
    no offense, spenda, but he was never forced to fold. how do we know he wouldnt have?
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!
    I think Spenda is referring to the two hands where he went mental with TP and lost to hero's set. Given read i would bet this turn as well. Def bet river as played.
    There's only one system. Bet. Lose. Borrow. Steal. Lose. Take the drugs. Lose. Prison. Death.
    Not sure about turn but I definitely bet the river. Once you've checked the turn behind he will be suspicious of a river bet and call down with a lot of worse hands.
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." (George Bush).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73
    no offense, spenda, but he was never forced to fold. how do we know he wouldnt have?
    readzzzzzzzzzz