Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Overbetting good flop vs. shortstack $2/$5

Default Overbetting good flop vs. shortstack $2/$5

Overbetting is not really part of my game and I've been thinking about finding ways to put in occasional overbets. River over betting vs. capped ranges is something I've thought about but never really done. For the most part, the only overbetting I do is pre to ISO vs. a shortstack or on the flop when I have enough equity to get it in multiway and facing a bet + raise.

Relevant history: Villain had been shaping up to be a standardish meh TAG reg but we got mixed up in a 4-bet pot where we were both light (I was the 4-bettor, he flatted pre with air and I called a river bet with a bluff catcher & won). Needless to say my image isn't pristine in his eyes.

It folds to me on the button and I make it $20 pre with SB folds and villain in BB makes it $40 with about $280 behind.

His sizing here makes him FOS 100%, it's the same reason i had 4-bet him light earlier. Arguably interesting spot to 4-bet/GII pre with AJs but I feel he has so many Ax and speculative hands I dominate I felt really good about taking a flop with this hand.

7 folds, hero ($980) is BTN with and raises to $20
    1 fold
    BB ($320) raises to $40, hero calls

flop ($82)
    BB checks, Hero bets $940 and is all in....effective stacks $280

Given stack sizes, just getting it in on this flop can't be too awful, but is there a better line?

I think the overbet here represents a ton of draws/air and weakish 1-pair hands that he can easily call with worse made hands and worse draws.
    Last edited by baudib; 02-12-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    It's just a waste with this specific hand. You want to widen his calling range as much as possible, and unless he is a retard, betting 3.5x the pot will do the opposite of that. This play would be better with a vulnerable hand like KJo or a high-equity low-value draw like KT.

He has a good stack to pot ratio to c/r, I'd bet an amount that is most likely to induce a light c/r such as with KQ or AQ.
    yeah I am thinking a better line would be to bet small enough to induce spazz. i think he is checking a lot of decent hands.
    but yeah I get you. Keeping people's calling ranges as wide as possible is something I do almost all the time, this is sort of what leads me to never thinking about over bets.

I like jamming a KJ/KT/T9 type hand.
    It's funny cause I'd do the exact opposite of overbetting in this spot. This is a spot I'd intentionally bet small (~$30) because we have the deck crippled and I want to induce/encourage him to c/bomb on us here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    It would be decent with overpairs as well. But AJ+nfd is the type of hand that you're very happy to have him c/c a small bet and play a turn OOP.