Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation 3/6 by 06 *operation complete*

Default Operation 3/6 by 06 *operation complete*

Operation 3/6 by 06
    Final goal: $3/6 @300BB's
    Milestones: 300BB @ each level.

$ .50/1 to 3/6 in 2005

Well here it goes guys. Today I start my poker quest. I have been posting here for many months, playing for a couple years and I've never been able to move up. I have no doubts that I can beat the game, but lack of discipline has kept me from doing so. Today that changes, I now have a goal and I have a whole team of people here who can slap me around abit to keep me on track.

Start Date Nov. 1, 2004

Starting Info
    Nov. 1, 2004
    Limit: .5/1
    BR: 300BB's
    Good luck, Mike! You are correct in that that will take much discipline. i have no doubt that you can attain that goal without much difficulty.
    "The urge to gamble is so universal and it's practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil." - Heywood Broun

Default First session

Finished my first evening on my quest.

I don't think I played horrible, but I definatly need to tighten up post flop and re-evaluate where I'm aggressive. I also opened up and raise more preflop. Prior to this I was VP$IP 10% and PFR 4%. Now lets see what I can do.

Current limit: .5/1
    Hands: 344
    VP$IP = 16.28
    PFR = 7.56
    WTSD = 33.73
    W@SD = 57.14
    Total Aggression = 1.39
    SD = 7.75BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: -1.76BB
    Rate: -.51BB/100
    Is this our first quest?

Good luck. I'll be following your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural
    Is this our first quest?

Yes, I've just been playing for awhile and never had any "goals".

Figured now as a as good a time as any.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike4066
    Is this our first quest?

Yes, I've just been playing for awhile and never had any "goals".

Figured now as a as good a time as any.
    No, I mean is it the first quest embarked upon by an FTR member?
    Mike, I think this is a great idea. Would it bother you much if I did the same thing? I haven't set any specific goals either, and being the beginning of the month and all, it's a good a time as any.
    This 'quest' reminds me of what I did 3 months ago.

My wife and I were both using the same PokerStars account. I could never tell exactly how I was doing. Finally, I decided to start my "own" bankroll so I could keep track of things.

I created a new PokerStars account and transferred 5 dollars to it. I began playing 1 .05/.10 limit game at a time. After my bankroll increased some, I started playing 2 nickel games at a time. Once the bankroll got to 50 I started playing 2 quarter tables at a time. I got the bankroll up to 120 multitabling quarter games.

I then cashed all of the money out of PokerStars and put half of it at Pacific and half at a Prima site to get bonus money. I continued to win and cashout and redeposit at other sites to get bonuses.

To date, I have cashed out $986 to the checking account, and have 350.00 on deposit between PokerStars, Party and Pacific.

Basically, I have turned $5 into $1436, and played pretty badly most of the time as I am figuring out now.
    Skip the Party 3/6 game. Too sharky right now. 5/10 6 max is the bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by lhoney2
    Mike, I think this is a great idea. Would it bother you much if I did the same thing? I haven't set any specific goals either, and being the beginning of the month and all, it's a good a time as any.
    Why would it bother me? Go right on ahead!
    I would love to see people progress their game to a higher level.
    Basically, I have turned $5 into $1436, and played pretty badly most of the time as I am figuring out now.
    You've done better than me
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    I'm avoiding the 6max anything for awhile.

After I reach my goal, mabey I'll re-consider 3/6 and start on the 1/2 6max game to better round out my poker game. But right now my first goal is to make it to a point where I can choose to play 3/6 properly staked.

Default Re: First session

Day 2 down..
    I definatly played alot of hands tonight I played well for the most part. I still go through moments where I call down weak hands and raise poor hands. When playing multiple tables at once this gets expensive fast.

I still have a realllllly short sample size, my BB/100 changes by about 1 full bet on a big pot won or lost, so I can't tell how things are really going yet.

Just updating today because in 3 months I'd like to read back over this and be able to say "wow"

Hands = 1,152
    VP$IP = 18.06
    PFR = 7.9
    WTSD = 31.46
    W@SD = 56.84
    Total Aggression = 1.35
    SD = 11.24BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 8.61BB
    Rate: .75BB/100
    Is 3/6 sharky because of the cheaper SB ?
    It used to be a soft game and soft games attract the sharks.

In 6 months 5/10 6max will be a shark fest and some other limit will be the new soft spot.

NL $25@PP will always be soft though
    Quote Originally Posted by zenbitz
    Is 3/6 sharky because of the cheaper SB ?
    Because good players get stuck there on Party.

o 5/10 is dominated by 6 max.
    o 15/30 full is a big jump in bankroll a lot of very good recreational players can not afford.

So they stick with 3/6...

I only see this texture changing if Party spreads 2/4 and 3/6 6 max games.
    Because good players get stuck there on Party.

o 5/10 is dominated by 6 max.
    o 15/30 full is a big jump in bankroll a lot of very good recreational players can not afford.

So they stick with 3/6...

Huh, never really thought about it like that, gettin stuck @ 3/6. More limits at party would be nice.. 4/8 and some more 6max games.
    No, I mean is it the first quest embarked upon by an FTR member?
    I think it is...

Great, now the pressure is on
    bring it! operation copy cat is on!
    I applaud you guys taking on any of the now multiple quests that aer being embarked upon.

Personally, I have a hard time sticking to one particular level for any length of time. I think I may have ADD!

I play anywhere from $25 NL to $100 NL to 2/4 Limit to 3/6 Limit and occasionally sprinkle in a short session o two of 5/10 Limit. Also, I will throw in a SNG here and there as well.

I would like to stick to a level and set a goal for that level but I think I just get bored after a while and need a different game. I don't know exactly what it is but hopefully I can devote a lump of time to a particular level and see where I stand.

Overall, my bankroll has slowly gone up oer time since I started playing. However, I wonder if I took the time to concentrate on a particular level and set a goal for myself before deciding to move up (or around) if my bankroll would grow any quicker? I dunno.

Again, good luck to all those embarking on your quests!
    "The urge to gamble is so universal and it's practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil." - Heywood Broun
    Personally, I have a hard time sticking to one particular level for any length of time. I think I may have ADD!
    Dude, it's the avatar. Affecting your focus, I think.

If I copycat your quest, do I have to drop back to .5/1 from 1/2? I think I was up 150BB, not 300...
    GET OFF MY THREAD!!!

J/K guys

You don't have to go all the way back to .5/1 just set a goal, and get there. I'm just using this thread so that I have a record of my progress. Something I can look back on and view my attitude and play style over the course of my journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenbitz
    Dude, it's the avatar. Affecting your focus, I think.
    Ha! You may be right!
    Day.... umm 5 down..

i'm still taking hands too far, but i'm cutting it back. Had a nice run that helped move me + some.. Lets hope it keeps up.

Hands = 2,117
    VP$IP = 18.14
    PFR = 7.98
    WTSD = 30.56
    W@SD = 56.21
    Total Aggression = 1.4
    SD = 14.42BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 29.98BB
    Rate: 1.43BB/100
    Day 8..

I'm still pushing hands really hard until I have a reason not to.. Had a few hands that were weak, but best hands at that moment but underdogs to big cards/draws. Just wish they'd hold up.

Hands = 3,090
    VP$IP = 17.38
    PFR = 7.73
    WTSD = 29.89
    W@SD = 55.13
    Total Aggression = 1.5
    SD = 15.6BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 53.11BB
    Rate: 1.73BB/100
    I'm still pushing hands really hard until I have a reason not to.. Had a few hands that were weak, but best hands at that moment but underdogs to big cards/draws. Just wish they'd hold up.
    Don't get me started. I nearly swore off full table forever last weekend. It was brutal...
    Don't get me started. I nearly swore off full table forever last weekend. It was brutal...
    Glad to know its not just me.

I could go on and on for hours about stupid calls, calling down a pair of 3's only to spike a 2 on the river to make 2 pair with your 32o. Are they still as bad @ 2/4? I can handle the bad players, but the insane amount of them is starting to wear on me.

One more thing I thought you'd get a kick out of this.
    AA 14 times = 42.5% Win.. I know short sample size, but these are all since the first of the month. Gives me that nice warm fuzzy feeling
    BTW AA will not hold up often against 6 opponents
    One more thing I thought you'd get a kick out of this.
    AA 14 times = 42.5% Win.. I know short sample size, but these are all since the first of the month. Gives me that nice warm fuzzy feeling
    BTW AA will not hold up often against 6 opponents
    That's just a bad run Mike. If it makes you feel any better - AA 11 times, won 90.91% for a net of 52.25 BB in my current quest. You are due to start having a better success rate, and I am due to start having them cracked a few times.

I like full games better because of the opportunities you get with good drawing hands and monster multi-way pots. Top pair can be extremely frustrating though. I would play shorthanded games, but I really have no clue what to do with my starting hand requirements, and am not good enough to add that to my repertoire yet.

I would say 6-max is for the action player, and I'm just not there yet.

You'll get the money Mike. Persevere.
    You'll get the money Mike. Persevere.
    Preserve I shall.

Day 9.
    Found a PERFECT TABLE!!! I pulled AA twice in 3 hands only to have them cracked both times by the same fish with rags. A set cracked, and a strong 2 pair cracked by a river gutshot, I start my table -30BB. If you were in IRC around 7pm tonight I'm sure you saw me swearing like a sailor! I managed to connect on 2 hands that went big and break even for the table, +1 BB for almost 3 hours.

But in good news while I was going crazy at that table my second table was paying off big. Trippled my buy-in beore I left that one.

Hands still aren't holding up, but I believe I'm putting my money in with the best and folding when I don't.

Hands = 3,438
    VP$IP = 17.22
    PFR = 7.5
    WTSD = 30.28
    W@SD = 56.32
    Total Aggression = 1.51
    SD = 16.05BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 126BB
    Rate: 3.69BB/100
    Hands still aren't holding up, but I believe I'm putting my money in with the best and folding when I don't.

W@SD = 56.32
    Total Aggression = 1.51
    SD = 16.05BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 126.86BB
    You ain't seen anything for bad luck yet...
    WTG mike. Big change from your first 1,000 or so hands from this quest. If my stagnant play continues you may be able to catch up.
    WTG mike. Big change from your first 1,000 or so hands from this quest. If my stagnant play continues you may be able to catch up.
    Yea i hit a rush last 2 days where cards came through like I wanted.
    I also dropped down to 2 tables.
    You ain't seen anything for bad luck yet...
    Got a taste of it last night at the 2/4 table you were @ set over set, that one was expensive. Damn people won't let pp's go.
    Day 10.
    I'm being more picky about my tables and i believe its paying off. Not much to say other than i'm running good, hope it keeps up.

Hands = 3,655
    VP$IP = 17.22
    PFR = 7.64
    WTSD = 30.58
    W@SD = 56.94
    Total Aggression = 1.52
    SD = 15.82BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 164.35BB
    Rate: 4.48BB/100
    how do you pick off tables? do you have a fish list?
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermegachi
    how do you pick off tables? do you have a fish list?
    yes. and i look for tables with 2+ loose fish. btw they suckout alot when there are alot of them on the table be warned
    Haven't played much last few days.. I haven't give up! Just need a break
    Oh, how I wish they would add these games.
    The artist formerly known as Knish
    Only mediocre players are always at their best.
    Phil Ivey Owns You
    Day 15.
    Back to being an idiot.. suckouts are pissing me off and i'm playing like shit...

Hands = 3,890
    VP$IP = 17.25
    PFR = 7.46
    WTSD = 30.28
    W@SD = 56.80
    Total Aggression = 1.46
    SD = 15.82BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 124.1BB
    Rate: 3.19BB/100
    Day 16.
    I'm updating to note that I've to stars to clear a bonus.. different game there but easy enough to adjust to..

Passed 4k hands, win rate over 3bb/100 I'm happy with teh win rate, but not overly happy about my play.. I don't think I'll do my next update until 5k hands.. No need to update this thing every day unless I feel something important happened.

Hands = 4,065
    VP$IP = 17.32
    PFR = 7.43
    WTSD = 30.60
    W@SD = 56.77
    Total Aggression = 1.47
    SD = 15.86BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 130.4BB
    Rate: 3.21BB/100
    Fnord, thanks for posting this. As usual, you are right.
    Day 21ish..

Hasn't been much .5/1 ring game action for me lately, but there has been one fairly major development. I did some casion whoring and managed to gain $400.. What doest this mean to operation 3/6?
    I'm moving to 1/2 with 400BB's. My cashout is currently pending and once those clear its back to poker stars to finish off the $120 bonus there. I figure by the time I clear the bonus @ stars I'll be really close to the 300bb's for 2/4.

Looks like I could bank rolled for 2/4 before the end of THE YEAR!

Hands = 4,864
    VP$IP = 17.87
    PFR = 7.85
    WTSD = 31.28
    W@SD = 57.18
    Total Aggression = 1.44
    SD = 16.35BBs/100 hands
    Earnings: 200.6BB
    Rate: 4.12BB/100
    WHAT A RUSH!

I played 1/2 on poker stars the last 2 days while trying to clear the $120 deposit bonus.. Boy did I clear it! I'm one a heck of a rush, some of the "thin ev" hands have hit big for me KQ, KJ are running hot.

I said in my previous post that 2/4 would be attainable by the end of the year.. IF I have 1 more night like the last 2 nights 2/4 will be available to me by the end of the month!

Current limit: 1/2
    Hands = 1,579
    VP$IP = 16.21
    PFR = 6.14
    WTSD = 32.93
    W@SD = 61.82
    Total Aggression = 1.58 (3.99 w/o Preflop)
    SD = 20.9 BB/100 hands
    Earnings: 91.5/BB
    Rate: 5.82 BB/100

Default 2/4 here I come!

Well I'm rolled and ready for 2/4! I cleared a bonus @ a cryptlogic skin, barely cleared the bonus with any profit and left. (f that site)

The majority of my BR is STILL pending cashout from last sunday. Until the rest of my roll clears up i'm going to play 1/2 to kill time. Once my cash outs complete I'm moving to 2/4 with 300bb's..

I all but skipped 1/2 with bonus whoring around the net for 2 weeks.

I expect that Dec 1 the jump to 2/4 will become full time.

1 year after i made my first deposit i'm finally making an effort to move up limits!
    well my missing cashout came through. UB has a 25% reload, and i figure since I already have alot of bonus money there from a few months ago I might as well re-deposit and try to clear it.

I'm playing better and have a suitable BR so I can play 2/4 @ UB and clear the bonus at a reasonable rate. I'm also whoring poker room at the same time.

I'd like to have both of the rooms finished by the end of the month.

Neither room easily intergrates iwth poker tracker for hand histories so I'm not tracking anything but my +/- $ @ the end of the day.

I can tell i'm getting a bit loose preflop and post flop. Having some swings but nothing I'm concerned about, I'm still killing it. I'm doing well and it looks like I might make my 3/6 br by the end of this month. I figure another 20hours of poker and my BR for 3/6 will be set and and my quest shall be complete.
    (doh for some reason i was way off on my calculations this won't be done by the end of the year)
    I'm burnt out on Limit HE, took a cash out to enjoy some of my winnings, paid back a loan.

Operation 3/6 will continue on but in a SnG format, I still have the same goal, reaching $1800.

December will be SnG month. and away I go.
    OK SnG's be damned!

I'm back in ring games 2/4 6max..

I'm running hotter than I could ever hope for. My next move is to keep from CRASHING down, and slowly burn off this rush that I'm on.

Currently running 18/100 for my last 1k hands.

Br for 3/6 is once again well within reach.
    {Sticky removed per new sticky policy}
    Well I wasn't worried about being able to finish this by the end of next year, but I definatly didn't think i'd be able to finish it this quick.

I hit 2/4 and had a great run of cards, moved to 2/4 6max and had an even better run of cards, thats how it ended.

No stats nothing special, just a quick little not saying

Thanks for the support guys.

come on....where's the ambition man??

10/20 by 06!
    eh, lets not get crazy here

that would mean I need to put my online BR to a minimum of 6k. For stakes that high I'd go well more than 300bb's, its not impossible, but not something I want to focus on just yet
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKEEEEEEEEEE$44444 44444440666666666666666666666666666666666666666!!! !!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

-'rilla is thrilla-ed
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    HAHAHA is this now a smiley test thread?

Thanks -rilla.