Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Take it to the max...

Default Take it to the max...

Yo,

I'm at 5nl 6max with a bank roll of 130. My goal is to get to 10nl by Sept.

That is it. My only real thought is that b/f rocks.

-!luck
    good !luck
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    BR:124

Fun hand. 17/9 with 2.5% and a fold to 3 bet of 83% over 260 hands. The donk bet is so weird cause the only thing I beat that is in his range is AQ. I can't see myself folding this.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Poker is so odd, when I hit 100BR i went down as far as 82 and in one day went all the way to 130 then the next day got all the way to 176 all playing 6 max 5nl. Now i am down to 124. Less than a week ago i was at 2nl. It is a struggle. I keep having to remember that I need to fold on the flop ever time someone raises me. Unless I have set+.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($12.97)
    Hero (MP) ($5)
    CO ($4.44)
    Button ($7.53)
    SB ($7.91)
    BB ($5.68)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, A
    UTG bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.50, 2 folds, SB calls $0.48, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.34

Flop: ($1.55) 3, Q, 9 (3 players)
    SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $1.25, 1 fold, UTG calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.05) 6 (2 players)
    UTG bets $1.55, Hero ???

Quote Originally Posted by !Luck View Post
    The donk bet is so weird cause the only thing I beat that is in his range is AQ.
    or KQhh
    or KK
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Um, snap shove turn.
    I did shove turn. But, based on the guys play style, I really didn't think he would do it with KK, but I didn't think of the possibility of KQh. I shoved turn.
    Things that throw off my ability to play:
    1) Talking to real life friends about poker
    2) A lot of success in a short term period of time
    3) Reading too much about poker and analyzing hands from above the micro level

On a deeper level is that I play well, when I don't care. And I play poorly when I do.

BR:113
    BR:102

Villain is passive 53/10 over 40 hands. I take this line often. My only nit pick is I should have bet .05-.10 more on the turn to set up a cleaner river shove.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($17.16)
    Hero (BB) ($5.28)
    UTG ($5.05)
    MP ($4.87)
    CO ($9.79)
    Button ($10.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
    1 fold, MP calls $0.05, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero bets $0.25, MP calls $0.20, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.55) 3, Q, 8 (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.40, MP calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.35) 7 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1, MP calls $1

River: ($3.35) 2 (2 players)
    Hero bets $3.22, MP calls $3.22 (All-In)

Total pot: $9.79 | Rake: $0.48

Villain calls 3 bets light and is aggressive. He has AJ and KQ in his range so I think the turn bet is okay, though realistically I should shove.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($2.68)
    MP ($12.20)
    Button ($6.31)
    SB ($4.02)
    Hero (BB) ($5)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K
    1 fold, MP bets $0.20, Button calls $0.20, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.70, 1 fold, Button calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.62) 3, J, 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1, Button calls $1

Turn: ($3.62) 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets $2.75, Button raises to $4.61 (All-In), Hero calls $0.55 (All-In)

River: ($10.22) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $10.22 | Rake: $0.50

If BR hits 80, I will drop down to 2NL.
    Last edited by !Luck; 08-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Woops
    Last edited by dranger7070; 08-13-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Good luck sir. Hit me up on AIM anytime ldo.
    BR:108. Woot. First up post since blog started.

Anyways, going camping in 5 hours. Should be fun......

-!luck
    Camping was awesome. Did double kayaking. Fishcreek WI had the cleanest water, I have seen in a while.

BR: 113
    Niiice. Up $5 while camping. How do I do this?
    "Just cause I'm from the South don't mean I ain't got no book learnin'"

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    ...we've all learned long ago how to share the truth without actually having the truth.
    why do you STILL pay off turn raises from these fish?
    Note the size of his raise. I knew he had me. But for 10:1 odds kinda hard to let it go? Realistically I should shove.
    oh good point

didn't see your bet sizing was so poorly planned
    BR 114
    Villain is 61/1 over 100 hands. I have a note on him that says small bets (meaning sub 1/4 PSB) on river means weakness. Like he bet .10 into .70 On a KQ459 board with pocket 88.

This is a spot I almost always C bet because this guy can call me with flush draws and other random crap. Plus he will almost never raise.

I checked the turn because I don't think I have too much fold equity and I would rather just take a free card for my draw and give up.

River hits nut flush, sets make up a tiny portion of his range. Most of it is weak flushes maybe trips. I think my only option here is to shove?

We agree or am I way off?

CO ($3.60)
    Hero (Button) ($5)
    SB ($14.74)
    BB ($11.87)
    UTG ($5.70)
    MP ($1.98)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, J
    3 folds, Hero bets $0.15, SB calls $0.13, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.35) 10, 9, 5 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.75) 5 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.75) 7 (2 players)
    SB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $1, SB raises to $4.50, Hero...
    Posted a bb. BR now 113.95.
    Why does my joy bother you so much spoon? If i enjoy updating my BR ever time I post, then shouldn't I be able to.

inb4, cool story bro.....
    BR:101.

Had a few interesting hands, that I will post once I fix my poker tracker. Kinda sucks to be stuck. But on the bright side I hit a 15k VIP bonus, but will hold off on cashing it until i hit 150 BR.

Default 2 Hands

First why the weird 4 bet size. the UTG raiser is fairly tight 13/9, with a 1.1% 3 bet over 630 hands. I knew that UTG is very likely to fold and if he doesn't he has KK+ like ever time and I would feel fine folding. The Button 3 better on the other hand is 40/23 with a 25% 3 bet over a 30 hand. And in general I felt button was aggressive and I would be more than happy to stack off against him. Plus even a min 4 bet does not give him the right odds to set hunt, considering I am not going to stack off every time.

Flop comes and I am feeling okay. KQ, JT, 33, and a bunch of other pocket pairs should be in his range. This, I thought was one of those cases that I am either crushed or way ahead. So I didn't see a problem checking he flop letting him try to bluff me.

Turn is an innocent card, I could shove or check and let him shove himself. I think shoving is best here.

saw flop

SB ($4.11)
    Hero (BB) ($5.66)
    UTG ($4.31)
    MP ($12.50)
    CO ($5)
    Button ($9.28)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K
    1 fold, MP bets $0.20, 1 fold, Button raises to $0.60, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.20, 1 fold, Button calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.62) Q, K, 3 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $1.85, Hero calls $1.85

Turn: ($6.32) 6 (2 players)
    Hero ...

I really dislike the way I played this hand. I should either fold on flop or shove flop. Thoughts? I have no reads on him.

BB ($5)
    UTG ($5.15)
    MP ($2.78)
    Hero (CO) ($5.41)
    Button ($2.87)
    SB ($2.05)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K
    2 folds, Hero bets $0.15, 2 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) A, K, J (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $0.25, BB raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.82) Q (2 players)
    BB bets $1
    Flatting flop is fine in hand 2 without reads. You just happened to get a bad turn card.
    BR:96 Had my first real tilt moment. So haven't played for 24 hours. On the bright side, I ran 10 miles just now in about 90-95 miles.

So all is not bad.
    !luck
    Not trying to be a dick, but shouldn't you be moving down to 2NL now with that bankroll? You've only got 19.2 Buy-ins left, down from 26 buy-ins meaning you've lost 6.8 buy-ins. Thought after 5 buy-in loss, your supposed to step down?

Just my 2-cents from a 2NL player.

Good Luck!
    "Looking at my old posts, I realize how much of a DONK I was. Time to change that and TRULY learn how to play poker. No more ego. No more pride. Just me, my cards, and the great knowledge bestowed upon me by FTR."

not trying to be a dick but isn't posting the amount in your bankroll every 5 seconds not a huge factor leading up to this tilt? (and the eventual fail of this blog)

do you see people who are successful in this game posting their bankroll balance via daily blog updates?
    That's a good point M2M. The only counter I have is oskar. If I recall correctly. But, I will try to move away from that anyways, since results always mess with me. Part of me wants to conquer the tilting be staring it in the face, meaning look at results all the time and still not tilt.

Maverik,
    Good point as well. My rule has been that when I move up, I wait until I lose to 4 buy ins from the move up point. Which at this moment means 80 dollar bankroll. Not to mention, I technically have more as I have a stellar reward that is worth 50. But honestly, there is no reason for me to use it, just to lose it.

So I did not play today. But I will try to focus on just posting poker thoughts and the occasional life story.

Thanks for the constructive thoughts.
    here's some advice and please listen to it and follow it:

do not do anything oskar does or tells you to do.

looking at your graph is one thing, but looking at those digits in your bankroll WILL hold you back. So just try to ignore them (aside from keeping an eye on things).
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    looking at your graph is one thing, but looking at those digits in your bankroll WILL hold you back. So just try to ignore them (aside from keeping an eye on things).

Not trying to thread jack, but I've got a question about this:

I check my balance after EVERY session (not table, just session). Not so much as in "Oh how much money did I win! OMG I LOST....TILT!!!!" but more so as "How much inventory/chips do I have. I decreased VERY sharp (or increased VERY sharp) let me review my hands and figure out where I'm leaking/Acceding. Did I lose to negative variance or bad poker playing? Did I win to positive variance, or good poker playing?"

In truth, I've forgoten that my BR has a $ sign in it anymore. Is it still bad to keep an eye on it? I'm probably not going to do it much when i get 5NL+ but here in 2NL it seems to be good to know I've got enough "inventory" to not go out of business any time soon, or that I have enough to take the next step of "production".

Just wondering, don't rape me too hard on this question.
    "Looking at my old posts, I realize how much of a DONK I was. Time to change that and TRULY learn how to play poker. No more ego. No more pride. Just me, my cards, and the great knowledge bestowed upon me by FTR."

@Maverik
    If you look at it alot at 2NL then you WILL look at it at 5NL.

@!Luck
    Try not looking at it for 3 days
    "Just cause I'm from the South don't mean I ain't got no book learnin'"

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    ...we've all learned long ago how to share the truth without actually having the truth.
    @ maverik
    Like M2M said it's fine to keep an eye on things. I tend to check it more often when I am moving up or down in stakes just to make sure I don't hit a stoploss or anything. I'll admit to myself that I probably check my BR too often but because of that I can also say that seeing that I am down money doesn't really tilt me at this point.
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Goals to get to certain limits based on time are retarded. So, I will only make hand based goals from now on. I took a day or two break and the only poker I played was 3 HUSNG, purely for fun. My goal is to try to get 3k hands in before end of August.
    I am going to drop to 2nl.