Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

iopq's Operation: get to 100NL

Default iopq's Operation: get to 100NL

I've been dicking around way too long. I haven't been grinding hardcore like I should have in the first place. I hope that if I start this operation it will allow me to be more consistent about logging hours, like I used to be. My bonus on FTP is running out, and I will probably go over to Stars next year to get Supernova. That means I have a two months to grind up to 4K dollars as per spoon's recommendations. Wish me luck!

My BR guide:

Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow
    Start with about 20 buyins at 2nl or 5nl. This means either $40 or $100. Now, don't put anymore money into your poker account ever. Instead, grind through the limits and get good at poker. Then, the higher you get, take a slightly higher bankroll requirement than the stakes previous so that you better protect your poker bankroll.

When you have $100, play 5nl. (20 buy-ins)
    When you have $250, play 10nl. (25 buy-ins)
    When you have $750, play 25nl. (30 buy-ins)
    When you have $1750, play 50nl. (35 buy-ins)
    When you have $4000, play 100nl. (40 buy-ins)
    When you have $10000, play 200nl. (50 buy-ins)

If you follow this and regularly play and work on your game, you'll be making a lot of money in less than two years imo.
    Fnord's recommendations on what to look for in my DB:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    Getting 3-bet
    4-betting
    BN opens you defend
    You open from BN
    Offsuit broadways
    Cold-calling on the button
    over-limping on the button
    (check) raising c-bets with air
    gl
    mmmmmmhh bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    xtr stand for exotic tranny retards
    yo
    I took Robb's advice and put something useful in my first post, I'll be adding more stuff
    I won't bore people with "was running bad, and then I ran good" type of posts, but I did run out of the $600 FTP bonus
    I will get slightly more rakeback, but bonus is obviously superior

I need to hurry the fuck up and get to NL 50 at $1750 just to make as much as I did before O.o
    Quote Originally Posted by iopq
    I won't bore people with "was running bad, and then I ran good"
    Thats all I do in my OP. If you´re prone to tilt/reverse tilt writing it down with your feelings about it will help staying on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    xtr stand for exotic tranny retards
    yo
    Quote Originally Posted by XTR1000
    I won't bore people with "was running bad, and then I ran good"
    Thats all I do in my OP. If you´re prone to tilt/reverse tilt writing it down with your feelings about it will help staying on track.
    that's what IRC is for
    spoons BR requirements are identical to mine. Plus I agree 100% on the 2 years = success... so long as you work your ass off for the next 24 months! You'll be glad you did.
    I took a shot at NL50 6m, I found a donk willing to donate and made a nice $40
    all in all made about $100 minus the $11 buyin for the FTR tournament :((((999999
    I ran sick good at NL50, I was playing half NL50 and half NL25 so I'm almost completely rolled for NL50
    tomorrow I'll play mostly NL50 and only the best NL25 tables
    good luck !!!!!!!

and the avatrap is funny shit
    GL and if thats another dude you definetly got me.
    Spoon kicked me from IRC when I was trying to make a point about taking things for granted. This, combined with a downswing caused by partially bad play made me tilt for like the first time ever. Until I get that under control I will avoid coming into IRC while playing.

?wut
    I'll be moving down to NL25 when I hit $1250
    Spoon kicked me from IRC when I was trying to make a point about taking things for granted. This, combined with a downswing caused by partially bad play made me tilt for like the first time ever. Until I get that under control I will avoid coming into IRC while playing.
    I know you guys think that IRC is helping and shit. But save the HH's for after your session. Stop paying attention to anything but your poker game when playing. Turn that shit off. You will have better discussion and understanding after playing first and discussing after.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms
    I know you guys think that IRC is helping and shit. But save the HH's for after your session. Stop paying attention to anything but your poker game when playing. Turn that shit off. You will have better discussion and understanding after playing first and discussing after.
    good point this is why I'm not going to go into IRC until after a session
    Just got my $300 back in NL50
    god damn, the swongs
    I think I'm shoving over people too much
    I should calm the fuck down and stop trying to shove in spots where I'm only called by better
    what's your FTP sn? PM if needed.
    you'll never guess
    ... it's iopq
    I donked off like 3 stacks putting people on draws and crap when they obviously had the nuts
    I don't know how the fuck I did that when my goal was to stop playing so retardedly aggressive
    of course the problem is that I sometimes stop putting people on ranges and just shovel because lol I have a draw

I'm going to take a break from NL50 and play HU SNGs some more
    I'm playing $30 + $1.50 HU SNGs on tilt right now, pretty successfully
    they don't seem ANY harder than the $10 level which I've been a winner at
    Played some more HU sngs

iopq confidence interval for 60% wins and 100 games is 9.6%
    iopq 95% confidence
    iopq I have about 64% win ratio
    iopq so I'm 95% sure to be EV+
    I play HU SNGs very casually. I want to get into a state of mind of something like "I'll play two SNGs and I'll keep going if I feel like it"

of course that sets me up for a trap like "have to play to get back what I lost" or "I want to stop to conserve what I've won" which is not good

but I feel if I just play a HU SNG once in a while by itself (optionally continuing if the opponent is particularly bad) I will be more likely to keep playing without getting bored
    my extremely good results in the 30s are encouraging and I'll move up to the 50s when I get 2500 dollars

I'll have to withdraw $200 to pay for taco bell in the meanwhile, but that's like ~30 SNGs
    The HU 10s/20s/30s all play very similar at FT. I have made a lot of moneys relative to my stakes with HU Sngs and I'm thinking about using them to build the roll up. First though, I would have to learn to handle the higher variance, which Im not a fan of.

Longest winning run = 8
    Longest losing run = 3

You?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISF
    Nothing actually changes in a poker game besides equity....
    When we can maximize our equity, we will make lots and lots of money.
    I don't keep track of results that much, I just look over them every 20 sngs or so to see how my ROI is doing and so forth

I lost a few SNGs today so my ROI went down to 22%
    I think one of my leaks is that I call with a draw without any intention of taking it away on a later street, so I'm playing the draw for the pot odds + implied odds by itself

I have had almost no variance outside of today, I'm never more than a few buy-ins down. In fact I only had variance because the competition had similar skill, most of the people who joined my games were winning players.

Another leak I have is I probably don't use the stop and go or the go and go in correct times. Obviously, when I get short-stacked against an agressive opponent I have to start making these moves or I'll blind away waiting for a hand. But I find that I'm shoving 3x the pot with ace high or with a draw. Since my opponents hit the flop 30% of the time and could possibly call with any pair, I think that's an EV- move.

I also got it in against trips, but that's more of a cooler. I can't expect my opponent to have trips every time. KK9 board good to shove 3x pot into? He's got a 9 or trips less than 30% of the time... but I lose my stack almost all the time.

let's consider the scenario where I have two overcards and he'll call with any pair (but fold better/worse high cards)
    I win x when I shove 3x into the pot 70% of the time
    I win 4x 25% of the rest of the time
    I lose 3x 75%

so I win .7x on fold equity
    I win .3x sucking out
    I lose .675 when he hits a pair
    sometimes he'll hold a pocket pair and call as well

hmm it's break-even with two overcards
    so definitely not a good move with 1 overcard

but if I attempt this a few times I can do it with top pair as well and hope for action
    probably better to bet normally if I have 3x left and to shove two overcards when I have less than that

at around 2x pot left in my stack and i have 1 overcard (an ace or a king)
    I win 1x 70% of the time
    I win 3x 13% of 30% of the time
    I lose 2x 87% of 30% of the time

again, my folding equity is .7x, my suckout equity is 0.12x, my losses to a better hand are .52x
    so I should always shove 2x pot when I have at least 3 clean outs
    especially if I can get called by smaller overcards + gutshot or similar hands

hmm that also means I can shove KQ on a ATx board if I have less than 2x pot remaining since I have 4 outs and great folding equity
    I thought my move was a mistake in that spot, but it actually wasn't because I have great folding equity against bottom pair and a low pp

Comments?
    iopq I'm playing a nit hu sngs
    Triptizzles lowest variance of any form of poker

I withdrew $200 to pay for Taco Bell so my BR is the same as it was before, but I'll play some more
    I hope to log 200 points every day on Tilt
    that's how I count how many SNGs I played I think that's 15 a day?
    I withdrew $200 to pay for Taco Bell
    R u a heffalump?

Btw, guess who has a liitle sharky symbol beside their name on sharkscope. Hint; its not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISF
    Nothing actually changes in a poker game besides equity....
    When we can maximize our equity, we will make lots and lots of money.
    I had a little 8 BI loss yesterday and today
    Although I did regain a few buyins at the end of the session
    I guess I was tired, but still decided to resolve to put in a certain amount of hands in anyway

The problem is I can't really trust myself to play enough, so I try to enforce artificial limits. Is it because I don't want to be successful? Do I hate money? Am I going to have to get a job?

I worry for myself.

What if someone read your mind and told you the worst things about you. What would he say? Would it bother you? He would tell me I don't apply myself enough. I don't put forth enough effort. And he would be right.
    I've been playing a lot more ring because it's easier to grind it a ton than grinding HU SNGs. Although I calculated that HU SNGs are more profitable... probably because I'm better at them
    Actually I've been doing really well in ring recently
    I 12 tabled no problem
    except I can't see shit, captain! maybe I should try cascading

also my idea to install a new chip cover image was terrible because I automatically top up anyway and I accidentally click the thing anyway
    over what time frame have you gone from 1424 to 2353?
    it's been exactly one month, I started my OP on November 7 and it's December 7 right now
    Hey, gl w/ op. I saw you on a 50nl FR table at FT. You were to my left, but we didn't get in any interesting hands. Said "hi" in chat, but you were probably 12-tabling and didn't notice. I'm 4gooner4 on FT, fwiw.
    Yeah I usually can't catch most of the chat unless it's after a big hand
    I hit a downswing in both HU SNGs and 50NL

but it's OK, I DEDICATE to completing my OP by the end of the year
    if that means I have to grind 8 hours a day, I'll grind 8 hours a day
    Nice work ethic, GL great progress so far, keep it up!
    I was playing some 50NL HU and it finally sunk in
    I kept reading about it on FTR, I heard it everywhere, but I still didn't know which hands to choose when to 3b people light

as I was playing I noticed I got hands that I'd raise myself, but since he was on the button he'd raise first and I would tend to fold them
    hands like 96s

but then it dawned on me, I should use these hands, which are the top of my folding range to 3b him light since he raises/folds his BU
    there was no 4betting going on, but he did flat my 3b a lot so I had to find hands that still had post-flop value to 3b him light with
    How does OP play in 3bet pots post flop? 69s is pretty thin in 3bet pots. The good thing is it's easy to let go.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    How does OP play in 3bet pots post flop? 69s is pretty thin in 3bet pots. The good thing is it's easy to let go.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    I played with him again and he almost openfolds the flop... itching to fold when he misses
    ship the cbets

but he also 4b me super light so I started 3b/shoving way wider, like KJs+, KQo+ because he has odds to call a shove with his usual 87o type of 4b light hand

I know he 4b with an unbalanced range because he flatted AQ after I 3b him (too bad I coolered him on a AJx flop with AJ) so his 4b are mostly weak...

but yeah I'm learning how to play against people who know what beats a straight

but yeah, I flat his raises a lot because he opens like top 80%
    but the top of my folding range I'll 3b light and stack off if I hit a pair because he's getting it in with draw + overcards every time
    I had a winning session because IRC told me to stop being a calling station
    I am $140 under EV on all ins
    not only am I playing like shit, I have to be running bad too!

I guess I'm going to go grind out some HU SNGs because all this losing is making me not want to play NL50 anymore
    GL dude - keep grinding away - it'll turn for you.
    Thanks, Robb, but I decided to make the switch to HU SNGs permanently. I have fallen into the bonuswhoring trap. That's why I played 9 tables of NL50 to clear my IronMan bonus (since I only have one month! O NOES!)

I played two Turbo HU SNGs at the same time for the same effect. I can't focus as well and my winrate goes down. This is what gives me the variance I've come to hate.

This is why I am saying screw full ring and screw turboes. I am no longer going to chase the bonus. I am also not playing good opponents multiple times. Screw getting better, it's $30 SNGs. I can grind up a nice BR and learn to get better later. When I focus in regular SNGs on one table there is probably no one better at my stakes at full tilt. I'm above 1K profits on regular HU SNGs and I pretty much waste it all on ring / turboes.

Woot, I found my leak. When I get better at multi-tasking maybe I'll play two tables.
    oh noes I will probably only have silver this month for ironman! oh well, I'll just take the moneys from actually playing instead
    I went up to $50 HU SNGs! Time to update my operations page
    I tried out two and I got two regs that I don't know went 1-1
    Either I ran like God today or I rape face. Maybe it's both. Although I got fucking disconnected and FTP decided not to use my time bank! That's some bullshit right there it was for 30 seconds and I came back to a full time bank and my hand was check/folded
    OK, my ROI at the 50s is sick
    part of it is luck
    but part of it is never playing tired, always looking the other guy's ROI up, always playing off reads, always putting him on a range, and playing one table
    I just made a guy nerdrage SO BAD
    I accidentally slowrolled him because I was taking a really long time to decide between raising and just calling

so I decided to call and he bluffed the river big which I snapped off
    then he shoved almost every hand of the next two SNGs and typed "you're an idiot"
    "you really are
    I played for stacks with AT > A3 pf and top pair > pure bluff on the flop

lol thanks for free $100 that covers the coolers I got

I should pat myself on the back for continuing to play after:
    A. I got several buyins up
    B. I got coolered

so that I could find some more opportunities for profit
    Thanks to spoon for telling me to take breaks often. This means I can play many many sessions every day.

PS. mattvalenti on full tilt is sick good, I played vs. him and I thought he was a maniac, but then he could switch to nit instantly when I adjusted to him
    I played some NL50 after watching some StoxPoker videos on it

BRAG: I stuck it in ILovePoker for 4 buyins
    BEAT: a $10 short-stack took like $50 off of me, I got some of it back but still jesus
    VARIANCE: I bad beat the ILovePoker for a full buyin

he was 4 tabling, two HU tables and two 6m tables which is why I was killing him preflop and on the flop he was just going fold fold fold
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.jpg

FOUR TIMES I GO ALL IN AS A DOMINATING FAVORITE AND I LOSE FOUR TIMES

good thing I get these donks to put money in drawing dead

22 > QQ 200BB deep, Ax > AK very next hand
    then I get quads and take his 150BB back AFTER TWO HOURS
    Ax > KK, Ax > AK
    and then the guy gets up
    I stack another donk twice

other than that I hope to take advantage of the PS reload promotion and play on stars and clear $400 of bonuses that I have saved up
    lol I just played against jlaing and I 3b him 43% of the time
    despite this he folded 60%
    then he managed to spew off his stack in a 3b pot from frustration
    then he called me the worst HU player ever and a luckbox
    needless to say, I got quit on
    first 200 down then I made it back and then some
    but the point is that I can finally update my operation banner because I've made enough back to cover the amount I deposited

oh yeah, 25% reload on stars so I'm going to be playing on stars until I clear the shit
    aka never because it's going to take forever
    Brag:
    Beat: he left the table and stronger people showed up
    Brag:
    Beat: he left the table and stronger people showed up
    That's awesome.
    I usually just get people calling me a cheater. No less than once a week lately someone is accusing me of having an admin account.

About stars, I couldn't get a deposit in for the bonus. I guess I'm just back to playing on cake and waiting for FTP rakeback.

You should post some of the hands you played with Shime-Shanga
    Check out my self-deprecation here!
    They were honestly not that interesting, the only big hand I won was me turning the nuts and him folding the river
    "but the point is that I can finally update my operation banner because I've made enough back to cover the amount I deposited"

You've desposited 4 k? or am i reading this wrong. Anyway, Gl with pokerz n stuff, keep up the ownage.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnTman_69
    "but the point is that I can finally update my operation banner because I've made enough back to cover the amount I deposited"

You've desposited 4 k? or am i reading this wrong. Anyway, Gl with pokerz n stuff, keep up the ownage.
    I meant deposited into my bank to cover the credit card bill
    I withdrew from my FTP account like $200 to do that
    Good job!!
    OPERATION COMPLETED, FUCK YEAH!

100NL here I come! Now the question is, what the fuck do I do with this thread? Should I make a new operation or just rename this one lol

Downside to making a new operation: I lose all your cool posts
    Upside to making a new operation: possible rating above 2 spades
    OPERATION COMPLETED, FUCK YEAH!

100NL here I come! s
    nice work.
    New op - link back to this one in the first post.
    Come sit with me at 100nl FR - davenigma, that yo-yo-ing erratic sometimes winning, sometimes losing, trying to be confusing fish in a sea of fish...
    I don't play full nit, but you can sit at my HU table any time.
    Yeah, I'd recommend creating a new thread and just link to this in the first post. Grats on completing the op, feels good eh?
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    Nice job, iopq - new thread, def - link to it as your LAST POST from this thread so we can find it easy. GLGLGLGL at 100nl.