Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation: Max learns the basics

Default Operation: Max learns the basics

1. Introduction

I haven't really posted here much since I joined FTR, so I guess I will start with a small introduction of myself. I'm a 20 years old student living in Montreal, and I just recently started playing poker with real money. I made my first deposit (30$) on PS 8 months ago, tried a few things, SNG's, Cash games, etc. However, for multiple reasons, I haven't really played many hands (~10 000) during that stretch, and I was sitting on a 130$ BR four weeks ago.

During the last month or so, I had some free time so I did something I wish I did before : I watched a tons of videos (FTR and Grinderschool). Then, when the exams were over (yey !), I had the opportunity to play more hands, and I was able to grow my BR up to 230$ over the last two weeks. I am currently playing 5NL/10NL Full Ring. I just made the jump to 10NL two days ago, played a total of 1000 hands, running 50 ptbb! I was obvious very fortunate to catch such a good run, and yet I feel a bit disappointed with the way I played, as I think I should have extracted more value on many occasions.

2. Goals

So, what are my goals ? Going from 10NL to 200NL in one or two years, and then become a pro ? Well, not really. Or i guess I should say not at all. I really love the game of poker, I love the math and psychological aspects involved in the game, but in the end, it is nothing more than a hobby. I play poker simply because I enjoy it. In fact, I could easily be one of these guys who burns 50$/week playing poker just for the thrill of making huge bluffs and hero calls. I just enjoy more learning about the game and improving as a poker player.

Anyway, the reason I start this blog/operation is neither unique nor original, but I feel like it is a great way to think, evaluate and debate about many subjects, and that hopefully it improves my poker skills.

3. Non-poker related questions

There are many things I would like to ask but I feel that asking 20 questions at once is not a great way to get answers, so I will only ask two non-poker related questions first.

1) Should I start "bonus whoring" ?

Considering my current BR (230$) and the fact that I am Canadian, what should I do ? Should I deposit on "smaller sites", such as EverestPoker, and benefit from the entire deposit bonus ? Or should I just stay on PS and improve my skill without thinking too much about my BR ? Obviously there are no "wrong" answers to this question, but I would appreciate some feedback.

2) Deposit/Withdraw methods

I'm a bit lost when it comes down to things such as E-wallets, netteller, moneybookers, etc. Is there really one better option ? Or is it pretty much all the same ? Is there one option that is used by almost all poker rooms ?
    God I'm so bad. I can't believe I haven't updated this operation in what ? 4 months ? And yet i'm reading FTR religiously. I really need to start posting more on this forum. Anyhow, i guess I should start by a small update of how things have been going for me :

So, 4 months ago, i had ~250$ on PS, and was wondering whether I should stay or leave to start bonuswhoring. I finally decided to get my roll up to 300$, and then move on Everest. I played 10NL on Everest for 2-3 weeks, cleared the bonus and took my first shot at 25NL when I hit the 500$ mark. Well, let's just say that it didn't go too well, and I ended up losing 10BI in a little less than 5000 hands. Ouch !

I thought it would be a great idea to take a small break, plus I never really wanted to play much in the summer, so I stopped playing poker for a few days, which became a few weeks, and finally two complete months. We're now in the beginning of August, and my poker interest is coming back. Yey ! I start playing again on Everest, with that small 250$ BR. Two weeks and 15k hands later, i'm finally leaving Everest with a nice 1250$ BR. I then started to clear a few PSO kickback offers, playing on Gnuf, Carbon and just recently Party. I now have ~2400$, and started to play 100NL 2 days ago.

Obviously, I'm happy with the way I'm playing and learning, and yet at the same time, I feel like there is a ton of things I could do better. Hopefully, by posting more on the forum (and maybe getting my butt on mIRC ?), I will be able to continue my progression.

Now time for the september goals ! While I'm not a fan of making of list of specific goals, there are still a few things I want to focus on :
    - Get more involved on the forums
    - Play at least 50 hours (10-15h/week, shouldn't be hard)
    - Understand that table selection involves seat position, not only VPIP/PFR
    - Oh, and did I mention getting more involved on the forums ?