Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

TT UTG 100NL zoom

Default TT UTG 100NL zoom

Recently built my roll up at 50NL enough to move up to 100NL so don't have any useful HUD stats for any regs yet. Not sure what to make of the river but I should be good enough here to call right?

PokerStars - $1 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 17.19, 3Bet Preflop: 3.45, Hands: 66)
    SB: 239.71 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
    BB: 196.65 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
    Hero (UTG): 99 BB
    MP: 52.56 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
    CO: 327.19 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T T

Hero raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 4 6 8
    Hero bets 5 BB, MP calls 5 BB

Turn: (17.5 BB, 2 players) 3
    Hero bets 10 BB, MP calls 10 BB

River: (37.5 BB, 2 players) K
    Hero checks, MP bets 34.56 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 34.56 BB
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    You always have info at zoom. You can check the zoom lobby to see how many tables he is playing. If he's only playing one, then he is probably a weak player. If he's playing 4, he's almost certainly a decent player. Given he is only playing with 50 big blinds, I'll assume he's a weak player.

This is a pretty difficult hand to play from the flop. Clearly your hand needs protection, but I'm not sure your hand is strong enough to be capable of protecting itself. On the flop you only have 57% equity vs 9c9x, 49% equity vs 7c7x, 48% equity vs AcJx, and 66% vs 6d5d. Meanwhile, his top 25% of his range has you drawing to less than 2 outs. All in all, you only have 55% equity against his entire preflop range, probably only 36% once he calls.

That 55% equity is only in the form of one pair. If you hit your set, half the time it will be on a four-flush board. Probably the biggest lesson about NLHE you need to learn from this hand is that it is very difficult to make a profit with a medium-strength hand that cannot improve.

Long story short, I would probably start with a flop check/call and go from there. Bet flop and give up on most turns would be my second choice. I think your turn bet is really -EV, and the river is a legit tough spot, but likely a fold. The reason the river is a tough spot is because you have played the hand in such a way that his range is really strong, but likely contains a lot of busted draws that want to bluff. So he could easily be bluffing here quite often, but he has so many value hands to shove as well that you may only have 28% chance to win, but you need >31% facing a near-pot size shove like this. This is the worst situation in poker, to be forced to either fold away 1/3 of a chance to win a big pot that you've built or otherwise give value to his range by paying off. Avoid it as often as possible.
    Good point, hadn't thought about checking tables that often for zoom.

I do think I prefer the bet flop and give up on most turns option you mentioned as I tend to preference betting/aggressive lines when I can (although I am calming down a lot more after reviewing hands and posting here). When you say give up on most turns though, wouldn't the 3s fit into the safe card category? What cards do you consider not giving up on in that case?
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Well the reason I prefer a check on the flop is because there is only one good turn for your hand. The 3s is probably better than average, but you still have terrible equity vs his range.

Betting flop is only good against extremely straightforward opponents who will check down a lot of hands on the turn. Your hand is almost never strong enough on the turn to merit betting again.
    I could go either way with a flop bet or a flop c/c, your hand plays pretty poorly c/cing the flop but it's just a poor hand on this board texture anyway. I think betting the turn is too thin, and I hate the river. It seems like you just decided that he didn't have a hand here even though it's quite plausible that he does.