Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Kind of a WTF hand

Default Kind of a WTF hand

Am I OK getting this in 3way? I cant come up with a hand either of them have that beats me except A4. This is the 3rd hand of the tourney so no reads. This line OK?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t1485)
    Button (t1710)
    SB (t1470)
    BB (t1380)
    UTG (t1440)
    UTG+1 (t1500)
    MP1 (t1635)
    Hero (MP2) (t1380)
    MP3 (t1500)

Hero's M: 30.67

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with ,
    UTG calls t30, 1 fold, MP1 calls t30, Hero bets t120, 4 folds, BB calls t90, 1 fold, MP1 calls t90

Flop: (t405) , , (3 players)
    BB bets t120, MP1 calls t120, Hero raises to t630, BB calls t510, MP1 calls t510

Turn: (t2295) (3 players)
    BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets t630 (All-In), BB calls t630 (All-In), MP1 calls t630

River: (t4185) (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t4185
    3rd hand in a tourney and you've already lost some chips on the first two in early positions?

Probably gonna get some action from opponents with worse hands imo.

I'd raise a little large preflop (175-200ish) and shove flop behind a bet and call. But I've got a lot to learn..

As played preflop, I like the flop raise and turn shove.
    I make it 150-180 preflop with the two limpers in front.

As played, the flop raise is good and once you're called you have no choice but to get it in on the turn. If one of them has a full house, 2x, AA or A4 then so be it - there are lots of other hands that they could have that you beat.
    Yeah little more pre and wp on the rest.
    I didnt notice i only raised 4xbb there, I never do that musta been a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan168

As played, the flop raise is good and once you're called you have no choice but to get it in on the turn. If one of them has a full house, 2x, AA or A4 then so be it - there are lots of other hands that they could have that you beat.

if ur getting it in on the turn regardless why not shove, if the hands calling u are straight draws that would call 600...why wudnt they call a weaker weird looking shove...?

i really think it is either push or fold(yes fold)- i think a call would be much better than a smallish raise on that board

but im interested to see what you have to say about this line of thinking tai..interesting theoretical factors coming into play on this hand
    Roco415.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roco415
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan168

if ur getting it in on the turn regardless why not shove, if the hands calling u are straight draws that would call 600...why wudnt they call a weaker weird looking shove...?

i really think it is either push or fold(yes fold)- i think a call would be much better than a smallish raise on that board

but im interested to see what you have to say about this line of thinking tai..interesting theoretical factors coming into play on this hand
    Let me turn the tables on you - if you want to shove, what are your reasons for doing so and why do you think that is a better line than raising?
    well my first recation to your question of the reason i want to shove is that i dont see the merit of just rasiing to 6, if ur planning to shove/call off any turn.

It eliminates a decision that you would have to make on the turn. I guess the reason I would want to do this is because I just dont see a hand that would flat your raise on the flop that doesnt have you beat. Also if theyre calling and dont have you beat,the hands calling 1/3 if their stack will surely call off entirely right?
    Roco415.
    well my first recation to your question of the reason i want to shove is that i dont see the merit of just rasiing to 6, if ur planning to shove/call off any turn.
    The reason to raise less than all-in would be that there may be some hands that we beat that will call a smaller raise that will fold to a shove. Think 5x, 66, 4x, etc.

It eliminates a decision that you would have to make on the turn.
    There's no turn decision, if you raise to 600 rather than shoving, you are getting it in on any turn. If I was in this spot I'd make a decision to get all my chips in once I saw the flop, it's just a question of the best way to do that - in one lot or two.

I guess the reason I would want to do this is because I just dont see a hand that would flat your raise on the flop that doesnt have you beat.
    If it was you or me in opps' shoes, you're right - however we are talking about unknown $5.50 players here, there are so many hands that we beat that they would play like this. 66-QQ, 5x, 4x, maybe even missed overcards.

Also if theyre calling and dont have you beat,the hands calling 1/3 if their stack will surely call off entirely right?
    Possibly, but not necessarily - the shove is a very big raise in this case, much more than the size of the pot.