Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Out of Contract July 2010

Default Out of Contract July 2010

For those of you who havent read my last two blogs I am a civilian contract worker for the military base on Ascension Island. This tiny island in the middle of the south atlantic is closed to everybody except those with working contracts. 950 people live here but as soon as your contract is up you have to leave.

I have recently found out that my department will be closing and I will be out of contract hence leaving the island and unemployed next winter (summer for you northern hemisphere guys).

So I have got ten months to find something else to do.

Over the next week i will be working on a poker plan. Pro by July ? its got to be worth a shot.

This new blog will record my attempt.
    good luck, but do look for a job on the side.
    Jman: every time the action is to you, it's an opportunity for you to make the perfect play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da GOAT
    good luck, but do look for a job on the side.
    ^ what he said
    No need to stress about other jobs. I am a maths teacher by trade. No shortage of work available, if the poker thing crashes then next September I start work in another high school.
    gl dude. It's good to know you always have a job if you need one. Hopefully poker works out though.
    Super motivated at the moment.
    Download stars hot keys to help with multi tabling
    bought SNGwiz, intend to spend 1 hour a day improving my push/fold game. I will be looking for patterns to help me remember, Glitlr has a great video on grinderschool which has pointed me in the right direction.

Played 16 STT's won 8!! and 2 thirds. thats $30 an hour but its not sustainable.

Got a week off next week so will be working on increasing the games i multitable, in the past only played 4 games at once, going to try to get that up to 20 over the next 3 months.
    Super motivation continues. Finally bought a copy of holdem manager last night. I had the usual internet problems. It took over 90 minutes to download, then the payment website wouldnt accept my card, it wouldnt recognise Ascension as a country. Eventually after a couple of emails it was sorted. Got the thing installed and my antivirus software had a fit. So HUD not working yet but i did import 6000 hands which were on my hard drive. Started to look at some stats and it was interesting. I have an ROI of 23% on STT's but boy do i do some stupid things.
    Just had a week off work. I have now got Holdem manager working properly at least HUD is working and hands being imported. I am not making the most of it yet. Its hard to know where to start analysing my play. Any pointers most appreciated.

Continuing to play 27 man and 18 man SNG's and things going really well. ITM 50% ROI 100% (according to holdem manager). Played 50 of them last week which for me is a lot. I need to improve my multitabling. Downloaded stars hot keys which is begining to help but a long way to go.
    A new record 20 SNG's in one night !!!
    sadly didnt make any money.

Lost two games when used hotkeys on the wrong table, ended up calling 30bb all in push with Q9. oops. I thought i was on a different table competing the small blind with AQ.
    Down 15 buy inns. Not so hot. Looked through figures and VPIP has crept up from 16% to 21%.
    A bit of success has gone to my head and i think i can out play anybody, what a moron. Super tight will be back immediatly.

Also first week in 4 I wont make the SNG leader board, Must get the A game back on the tables.

Next week target: Back on the leader board minimum 450 points, playing TAG ABC poker.
    I want to live on an island with a small population. Did you run around and see the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 everywhere? What's the black smoke really like?
    XxStacksxX- you need to stop smoking it.

If you see smoke on this island you shit yourself.

Anyway poker update.

Played some cash to get me to tighten up, it worked well. Only playing $10 but won 16 BB in a couple of hours.

Moved back to the normal SNG MTT and went on a real heater. Played 8 27mans picked up 4 first places 3 thirds and a fourth. Awesome. On target for first place on the leader board 560 points with 5 still to play and its double bonus this week!

Checked out Sharkscope and my shark status is back, ability rating 81 which i think is good but have no idea what it means.
    I havent been updating this blog, I Stopped reading forums and using training sites I wasn't making the progress i wanted it just happened by chance no plan to stop but i have.
    Anyway its been a great couple of months.
    Invested a lot of time and a bit of money into some maths texts (8 books in all), All statistics based mostly game theory and probability models. I have been studying them in real detail. They are not poker orientated but are technically very sound and easy to apply if you know your maths well enough.

Tables are going well, cleared the bonus on full tilt playing $100 full ring, generally 6 tables at a time but not always as they keep collapsing below 6 players at which point i leave.

Multi table SNG on stars still showing a good profit as are MTT on stars but not so good on FT.

Bankroll now $32,000 July deadline getting closer but i am now fully committed. I WILL BE A PRO IN JULY
    All pro plans full steam ahead, moving to UK on 30th July, flight booked and paid for, accomodation in UK sorted and kids schooling arranged. Just need to get the dog sorted and the whole family will be on the way.

Still studying hard, have been concentrating on probability models, expanded my library with several university level text books and have been spending many hours designing and testing different models for the different stages of tournaments. For the last few weeks I have been working on re-buy strategy and have had a couple of good results. $2 RB ($10k guaranteed ) 3rd place, $9 rebuy 1st place both in the last 10 days, a couple of other smaller results mean i am now up $51K for 2010. Twice what I earn as a teacher!!

PS: Had my first game of face to face poker, never been so sure i was the fish before.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    PS: Had my first game of face to face poker, never been so sure i was the fish before.
    That's a terrific line.
    I was wondering what your bankroll was when you started this thread. Sounds like you've really done well.
    Donk Skills:
    #1 The bluff call
    #2 The Drawing-Dead Value Bet
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity."
    Maximus Decimus Meridius - Gladiator
    That's a pretty sick run you went on. I'm happy enough if I end the year up 50k, and I was already beating 100NL before you started this blog.

< - is jealous.
    Hi Kijjo I had 3200 as a BR but I added 1800 of savings to it to give me a start of $5k. I have use a 2% strategy for MTT and theoretically have a 5% max for cash but i never get near it for cash. Never been above 100NL(this year) and don't really see that as my game I just used it to clear bonuses at FT and Cake.

Hi Oskar, I have read your blogs and saw that you were at 100NL some time ago, I have the advantage of being an old git, started in 2004 and was playing 100NL in 2007. The only change is that I am no longer a recreational occasional player. Over the last 6 years even playing once or twice a week I must have played an awful lot of poker.