Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Passive play against laggy villians.

Default Passive play against laggy villians.

UTG and BB are both very laggy and pretty terrible at poker (UTG seemed especially laggy, like raising 60% of all hands, and BB seemed especially terrible, like he was drunk and never played poker before). I'd only been at this table for about three orbits, so I didn't have reads on either beyond that. BB was shortstacked (as you can see he was all in on the river).

Did I play this right? I'm unsure about my play on every post-flop street (preflop was a no-brainer iso-raise I think).

Party Poker
    Limit Holdem Ring game
    Limit: $3/$6
    6 players
    Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T A
    UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, 3 folds, BB caps, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 9 8 7 (9.33SB, 3 players)
    BB bets, UTG raises, Hero calls, BB 3-bets, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: T (9.17BB, 3 players)
    BB bets, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: 9 (12.17BB, 3 players)
    BB is all-in $3.42, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Results:
    Final pot: 13.88BB
    I'm tempted to raise the turn and put the BB all in.
    Yes, the preflop raise is absolutely necessary against these players. With the OESD plus backdoor nut flush draw and overcard, I like a flop cap. Get as much money as possible in against these raise happy fiends so when you hit they are more inclined to cap the turn and river with their K high hand. I also call down after the T hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    that's my line if i play the hand...
    “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean ~

"Poker is a lot like sex, peoples perceived ability usually blinds the truth" ~ me ~

"God bless him. Got to bet big to win big! GAMB00L!!!" ~ Fnord
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    One of my strategies to exploit horrible players is when they are so short stacked that they are close to all-in, I will do everything possible with a reasonable hand to get heads up with them. As I am sure most of you know, this is because donkey shortstacks typically play as if they have a tiny stack in a NL tourney (it just sometimes takes them to the river to go all-in because it's limit). The problem here is that on the turn UTG is between us and the short stack. Raising is unlikely to get UTG to fold, and I think that makes it a pretty bad play here. The short stack has less than a big bet left ... his money will go in the pot 90% of the time. Why make a bad play just to make sure it goes in on the turn? If I act immediately after the short stack on the turn, this is an auto-raise no matter what card fell.
    I'd tend towards capping the flop
    I think you guys are overthinking it. Based on reads, I think the way he played it was fine.

Actually, he really could have just hit random buttons on every street and it would have been fine. This is close enough to not be worth debating.
    TylerK: its just gambling if i want to worry about money i'll go to work lol