Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

John "gabe" Patgorski AMA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John "gabe" Patgorski AMA

We were finally able to schedule an AMA with one of FTR's biggest legends, gabe! Ask gabe anything in this thread, and on April 25th he will login and answer.

Gabe started playing poker back in the boom days and has been killing it ever since, becoming one of the most successful FTRers. His top tournament score came in October, 2010 in a WSOP circuit event, where he finished 2nd for $324,770.

gabe co-hosts a poker podcast with his friends Peter Jetten and Brian Powell, called Rootbone Radio. Their latest episode had special guest Scott Seiver, and you can watch it below (def worth a listen!):

Use this thread to ask gabe anything! He has a great poker mind, so if you're looking to improve your game, now is your chance. Also feel free to ask him anything non-poker related as well. If you've ever met gabe, you quickly learn how likable of a guy he is, so feel free to ask him anything!

We will be taking questions over the week and Gabe will login on April 25th and answer throughout the day. Feel free to reply to his answers as well, as we hope to have an interesting conversation.
    - How are the games in Macau? How many hours have you been putting in? Is poker generally easier over there compared to playing in Vegas or other bigger cities?

- Do you have any long term poker goals? Do you still see yourself playing poker in 10 years?

- Do you still feel ashamed betting red and losing when we all bet black in Vegas a few years back?

- What are your favorite non-poker related podcasts to listen to?
    Are you a little disappointed you don't have a Wikipedia page? Was you aware of this fact?
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    I just wanted to say gabe is awesome. He's a great guy, and very down to earth. I wish I was able to spend more time discussing poker and things with him a bunch of years ago when he was more active here. When I met him in Vegas he just has that quality that makes you want to be involved in whatever it is he's doing.

I will ask him the same thing I have asked others, what is your thoughts on the poker scene going forward? Will we see even a small boom like back in the day or do you think online is destined to be a grindfest for RB and very few winning small and mid stakes players?

What would you do now if you had to start from scratch? What would you play? Would you just get a job?
    When I met him in Vegas he just has that quality that makes you want to be involved in whatever it is he's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    Gabe, what parallels do you see between poker and other sports? What are your thoughts on poker being a zero-sum game (whatever someone wins, somebody else has to lose)? Do you see any possible progress in this direction, i.e. making it more beneficial to all involved?
    LETS MAKE IT 3
    Hey gabe,

Fun playing Werewolf with you You seem like a solid guy! What were you experiences playing WSOP Circuit events? What's your most memorable moment (maybe aside from the 6 figure score)?
    I literally laughed out loud.

P.s.

What up son? Hope life is treating you well... but then I know it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post

P.s.

agreed.. I miss you, Murda, George, and Chase's mom
    Have you used your knowledge of terminal velocity to gain any personal benefit?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default John "gabe" Patgorsk

If you had a Wikipedia page which events would you choose as your biggest achievements?
    Gabe! How cute is this?!?!

He can't get out of the bowl!
    LOL OPERATIONS
    We have less than a week before this event starts.
    im glad to still be in touch with all my ftr homies

Quote Originally Posted by FTR_Calendar View Post
    We have less than a week before this event starts.
    thanks robot

i should be around the computer most of the ama day to talk about whats new in poker and life. also i can answer mini strategy questions
    Out of the places you've visited, what's your favorite?

Where do you really want to visit that you haven't already?

How are you?
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    1) Should I relocate to Singapore, Malta, or Australia? Leaving in November and staying 3-4 months.

2) Do you still love me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    'Stralians hate asians
    who do kiwis hate?
    ...asians

edit: just kidding, we solved racism in new zealand a while back.
    'Stralians hate asians
    Good thing she's Canadian.
    Being a fellow asian Canadian I can relate to the following:

"So where are you from?"
    "Canada."
    "Ah I see, but where are you *originally* from?"

It occured to me now to reply with "do you mean where I came from, before I was even born?" I think I'll do that next time.
    he means what's your breed
    Such a derail of an Ama guys

Gabe, any AHA moments that stand out over the years, Poker or otherwise. Any big decisions you made that were the difference between being a mediocre mid stakes player pre UIGEA and working a regular job now and where you actually end up
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    hush you.

how do you always know when they're calling it in during roulette for the perfect switches? and more importantly why does big and black always get there?
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    Being a fellow asian Canadian I can relate to the following:

"So where are you from?"
    "Canada."
    "Ah I see, but where are you *originally* from?"

It occured to me now to reply with "do you mean where I came from, before I was even born?" I think I'll do that next time.
    Tell them you're an Eskimo.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    This event starts in less than 3 days.
    Hi! Thanks for doing an AMA! What WSOP events are you planning to participate in this year? Are there certain events that you avoid for any reason? What are the ones that you wouldn't miss for anything?

I was going to play in my first-ever circuit even earlier this month, but was unable to. Since playing in any WSOP event is on my bucket list, I'm now thinking of heading to Vegas this summer. Can you recommend an event or two that would be more appropriate for me to play in, meaning is there a particular event that might be less intimidating than others? Also, is there a specific "must-read" that I should study to prepare?
    Do you think the living suspect in the Boston marathon bombings should be tried in a civilian or federal court? Do you consider him a terrorist? Do you feel he should be eligible for the death penalty?
    Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    Seriously...
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    What is the highest number of hours/days that you've played poker non-stop? Do you think being in shape helps players to continue to compete effectively during lengthy sessions?
    How much would you need to be paid to strangle a cat?
    How much would you have wanted 10yrs ago?
    How much would you pay to stop someone strangling a cat?
    Would you rather win a WSOPC watch/bracelet or the World Series of Peggle?
    Which one is >, World Series of Peggle or World Series of Pegging?

Default Gabe Patgorski

Do you have any hobbies?
    Quote Originally Posted by C_L1 View Post
    Do you have any hobbies?
    buuuurn.

Mister gabe, you have a reputation for being very personable and whatnot at the live poker table, how much do you enjoy live versus online play, and that sort of dealio.
    Gabe - I loved the way you played and reading your old blog on FTR. You seemed extremely aggressive + your table chats seemed to tilt everyone.

What made you really understand the game and start moving up rapidly? Who were the first few poker friends you talked to that really helped your game?

Miss Virginia at all?
    Sup?
    bus?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Less than 24 hours to go until this event starts!
    Are you drunk right now?
    How are the games in Macao?
    Should I go there and play poker for a living? I'm a Hong Kong citizen. I'm competent in NLHE and very, very good in Omaha and Omaha H/L.

Good to hear from you once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    Would you bone your cousins? Salsa would.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa4ever
    well courtie, since we're both clear, would you accept an invitation for some unprotected sex?
    Hi
    If you were not playing poker, what other job/ hobby will you have picked for yourself?
    When did you know you are meant to become a professional poker player?

Default Question for you

In your opinion, who are the best poker players of today?

Default Another couple questions

Are you de-sensitized to winning and losing large sums?

Who first taught you to play the game?

Do you all online poker is rigged to a degree?

When and/or how did you realize you had what it takes to compete with pro players? How long did it take you to get there?

Would you rather sit at a table with a couple of pros so you can tell your friends you played at the same table with .... (example: Chris Ferguson) or would you rather sit at the table with the regular poker players

Thanks!
    Less than 12 hours to go until this event starts!
    Plans for the future?
    Less than one hour to go until this event starts! The password has now been released to Qualified Members!
    How has your life changed since Black Friday? Do you still play poker?
    Quote Originally Posted by fjuanl View Post
    How has your life changed since Black Friday? Do you still play poker online?
    fyp?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    tell us a cool story, doesn't have to be poker related. oh this isn't a question, so... can you please tell us a cool story?
    This event hasn't kicked off in the way I imagined.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTR_Calendar View Post
    Less than one hour to go until this event starts! The password has now been released to Qualified Members!
    Gabe what's the password?

What is Gobekli Tepe?

What's the difference between a dog and a fox? Answer in terms of number of beers
    Last edited by Luco; 04-25-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    You wake up one morning to find that poker of all forms and locations has been banned. What's your first step.. Do you fight the good fight, or find something else to do with your life?

What non-poker related cause are you most sympathetic to in the world right now?
    Join our Events Mail group and never forget about an upcoming FTR event again!

Decide.
    Commit.
    Succeed.
    maybe gabe didnt get the password?
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Or maybe his first response is reallllllllly long
    If i was a high stakes pro I doubt I'd be getting up before noon to answer a bunch of questions on a forum either. Let the man sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    - How are the games in Macau? How many hours have you been putting in? Is poker generally easier over there compared to playing in Vegas or other bigger cities?

- Do you have any long term poker goals? Do you still see yourself playing poker in 10 years?

- Do you still feel ashamed betting red and losing when we all bet black in Vegas a few years back?

- What are your favorite non-poker related podcasts to listen to?
    -macau is pretty cool. the games arent necessarily AWESOME but they always have big games going, plo and nl. each game isnt necessarily better than somewhere else but the fact there are always games makes it easier to justify flying across the world. when there are lots of pros in town there is sick competition for tables and seats. thats when the games are terrible and its no fun. like u wake up early to get on a list, so in 5 hours when the game starts youll be seated, but then u have to play with 8 pros for 7 hours hoping a fish gets sat sometime. and often no fish comes

ive been there for 2 long trips and when im there i play allll the time. theres not too much else to do in macau. although after being there 70+ days im starting to find some activities. there are many poker players from around the world there so ive met a lot of cool people.

-i dont really have long term poker goals. it would be cool to win some big tournaments but my main goal is to just keep the money flowin and keep l-i-v-i-n. hopefully i wont have to rely on poker forever but i will always play the game. its too fun to give up.

-i dont remember that, in general i always bet on the same side as people im with because its much luckier. if i did that with significant money on the line i deserved to lose

-the best radio/podcast is 'this american life.' great journalism, always interesting and only 1hr long. i listen to all the joe rogan podcasts when he has smart guests. i skip lots of episodes with comedians. lately ive gotten into 'in our time' on bbc radio. lots of facts that are interesting and no wasted time

Are you a little disappointed you don't have a Wikipedia page? Was you aware of this fact?
    -im not disappointed, which i wasnt aware of until you asked

I just wanted to say gabe is awesome. He's a great guy, and very down to earth. I wish I was able to spend more time discussing poker and things with him a bunch of years ago when he was more active here. When I met him in Vegas he just has that quality that makes you want to be involved in whatever it is he's doing.

I will ask him the same thing I have asked others, what is your thoughts on the poker scene going forward? Will we see even a small boom like back in the day or do you think online is destined to be a grindfest for RB and very few winning small and mid stakes players?

What would you do now if you had to start from scratch? What would you play? Would you just get a job?
    thanks jyms youre cool too
    -i think there will never be a poker boom like there was 10 years ago. too many people know the game now. the fish:skilled player ratio was insane back then, and now 1000x more people know the fundamentals of holdem, so that insane ratio will never return. but by no means do i think poker is dying. there will continue to be new games and new forms of skilled gambling. its pretty cool how stars/ftp are experimenting with new game types, more people are playing open faced chinese, etc. im all for new types of poker that make people think on their feet.

also i think more should be done in NLH to discourage tight players. last year at the WSOP i played the ante only tournament (no blinds, everyone ante and u have to at least bring it in for the smallest chip in the table. like ante was 600, so 9x600 5400 chips in the middle preflop, and u could limp for 100 since there were still black chips on the table). it was awesome. it made people play postflop. i wish cash games were like that, it would move things away from being a grindfest for RB.

people do play looser at PLO so you have more chances to find them making mistakes. so if i were starting over i would focus on that a lot, i guess. its very hard to get started in poker now but its possible. one piece of silver lining to usa online poker getting banned was that it kinda cut off young smart hungry kids from learning it. its almost impossible for new tough american young guns which is good for me over the next few years
    Quote Originally Posted by Alep View Post
    Gabe, what parallels do you see between poker and other sports? What are your thoughts on poker being a zero-sum game (whatever someone wins, somebody else has to lose)? Do you see any possible progress in this direction, i.e. making it more beneficial to all involved?
    poker is competition like other sports. the cool thing about poker is that any type of person can play and have a fair shot at winning whether male/female old/young blind/not blind.

poker by itself will always be zero sum. you need money from something else to change that. evil annie duke's epic poker league was an example of this. they took TV rights $ and added it to prize pools. if you have advertising money in it then more people have a chance at winning. advertising money is like a freeroll to the field. i dont have any great ideas related to this yet or i would have cashed them in

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Hey gabe,

Fun playing Werewolf with you You seem like a solid guy! What were you experiences playing WSOP Circuit events? What's your most memorable moment (maybe aside from the 6 figure score)?
    i havent played many wsop circuit events. ive probably played 5 circuit events and 60+ wsop events (only in vegas, havent made it to london or aussie for their new wsop stuff). at first all the memorable moments were playing with big tv pros but i dont really get stoked about that anymore. usually during the summer all the memorable moments (besides me potentially winning tourneys) are when my friends are at big FTs, or big hands where i owned someone hard

Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post

P.s.

life is good as always mang. where u living now? my friend brabbit is living in chicago so if u around there then next time im visiting lets all kick it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    agreed.. I miss you, Murda, George, and Chase's mom
    lukie!! ive been looking for you on aim the past couple weeks since ive done a few minor internet marketing jobs and wanted to see where you were at. hope u doing well and holla at me sometime

Quote Originally Posted by swiggidy View Post
    Have you used your knowledge of terminal velocity to gain any personal benefit?
    yup knowing about that has kept me out of trouble. no more potential for me to get involuntary manslaughter because i calculate terminal velocity well
    If you had a Wikipedia page which events would you choose as your biggest achievements?
    i dont really have poker achievements that arent online poker graphs. ive never won a big life tournament, although i thought i did in march. in jeju korea i got hu in a $10k sng and lost with AAA66 to quad 6s against my homie. we talk about this on a mini rootbone episode we did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NaFELY_wo that was definitely one of the sickest positions ive been apart of
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Gabe! How cute is this?!?!

He can't get out of the bowl!
    hehe about as cute as clarence the elpaca. i dont know why but that post made me LOL more than once (7 years ago--- damn http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ad-118249.html)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    Out of the places you've visited, what's your favorite?

Where do you really want to visit that you haven't already?

How are you?
    i really really enjoyed my time in australia. i wish it were closer to usa. the cities and the beaches and the people there treated me well. hong kong seems cool but i havent been there too much. it has potential

ive never been to europe. i dont know how. every european trip has fallen through. i think before this year is over ill get to try thailand a

im always good. ive learned from poker that i can find happiness whether im really rich or really broke
    Quote Originally Posted by donkbee View Post
    1) Should I relocate to Singapore, Malta, or Australia? Leaving in November and staying 3-4 months.

2) Do you still love me?
    i think singapore has some strict/conservative laws on things so personally i would avoid there unless it was for a short period. its hard to go wrong in australia unless you are in the middle of nowhere. malta i know nothing about. seems like it might be too euro for a girl like u, but like i said i know nothing

ill love you forever. for those that dont know, years ago when ftr sold ftr branded thongs, ms donkbee did some modeling for us. i wonder if those pictures are still on the internet? at least one of u mustve saved it on your hard drives..
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    who do kiwis hate?
    earthworms. thats the best i could do

Gabe, any AHA moments that stand out over the years, Poker or otherwise. Any big decisions you made that were the difference between being a mediocre mid stakes player pre UIGEA and working a regular job now and where you actually end up
    now that theres not fish aplenty you gotta stop looking at stuff like 'how do i get paid off with this hand.' its more about building a range in a spot where your opponents cant exploit you. in the last couple years game theory is getting more popular for situations like this. almost everyone knows fundamentals, so you gotta abuse them in spots they dont realize (i think mostly this is finding spots where people will fold to you on future streets, and planning it on early streets)

im lucky i have a lot of great poker player friends. having smart people behind me has made it easier to always focus on beating the poker games that are out there, because i know i can always improve talking with good players and because if i get in trouble with money people will help me out. i still havent perfected money management
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    hush you.

how do you always know when they're calling it in during roulette for the perfect switches? and more importantly why does big and black always get there?
    the key to know when theyre calling it in from above is timing. they are more likely to do it when you have been playing a while, or when there are lots of physical chips on the table. they wont do it so much if all of a sudden you bet a big chip because they dont notice it as much. but if you pile up 60 redbirds on one thing they will see it and want to take it from you with no risk. big and black gets there because no one ever goes for big and black with a solo effort. since its always a group there can be more positive vibes focused on one thing. its science
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbarlowe View Post
    Hi! Thanks for doing an AMA! What WSOP events are you planning to participate in this year? Are there certain events that you avoid for any reason? What are the ones that you wouldn't miss for anything?

I was going to play in my first-ever circuit even earlier this month, but was unable to. Since playing in any WSOP event is on my bucket list, I'm now thinking of heading to Vegas this summer. Can you recommend an event or two that would be more appropriate for me to play in, meaning is there a particular event that might be less intimidating than others? Also, is there a specific "must-read" that I should study to prepare?
    my summer plans arent made yet. if im in vegas at the beginning of june i will try and play 20+ events. pretty much all the plo, all the 6m, lots of 1500s and all the new poker events (like ante only and 4max). the only event i avoided last year was the $10k pot limit because the field is one of the toughest for holdem events. the 10k 6max had a tough field too but i think i have a nice edge playing shorthanded

you should hop into a $1500 if you are looking for glory. there are also tons of smaller daily tourneys that are extreme awesome value, although im not sure how high the rake is which can put a dent into your expected value. there are loads of newbies in the $1500 thought, and usually there are so many people there its like a circus, so there shouldnt be much pressure at the table unless you are deep into it. if youre a poker newb id recommend reading some basic stuff on live tells not just to help you spot people giving away signs, but also to reinforce stuff you shouldnt be doing. $1500s can be annoying because its not hard to play perfect and be out in a couple hours. i like the plo tournaments because you can buyin for just 1/3 of ur stack at a time, so its harder to lose one coinflip and be out
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously... View Post
    Do you think the living suspect in the Boston marathon bombings should be tried in a civilian or federal court? Do you consider him a terrorist? Do you feel he should be eligible for the death penalty?
    im against him being tried in federal court. i dont like the idea of federal judges running one of these trials. i dont consider him a terrorist until hes found guilty. im for the death penalty--i think i value life a lot less than most people, not in a sadistic way but in a practical way, if that makes sense

Seriously?
    sup
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    What is the highest number of hours/days that you've played poker non-stop? Do you think being in shape helps players to continue to compete effectively during lengthy sessions?
    ive played 24 hours straight in a casino and maybe ~8 hours online. being in shape helps a ton. sitting in a chair for a long time does not make you better at sitting in chairs but exercising helps your brain and your stamina
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    -macau is pretty cool. the games arent necessarily AWESOME but they always have big games going, plo and nl. each game isnt necessarily better than somewhere else but the fact there are always games makes it easier to justify flying across the world. when there are lots of pros in town there is sick competition for tables and seats. thats when the games are terrible and its no fun. like u wake up early to get on a list, so in 5 hours when the game starts youll be seated, but then u have to play with 8 pros for 7 hours hoping a fish gets sat sometime. and often no fish comes

ive been there for 2 long trips and when im there i play allll the time. theres not too much else to do in macau. although after being there 70+ days im starting to find some activities. there are many poker players from around the world there so ive met a lot of cool people.
    interesting. i always assumed that the games must be sick good for all the people to be talking about it and sort of a small second boom in asia or something. why do you think macau started becoming so popular for poker recently? or have we just started hearing about it?
    How much would you need to be paid to strangle a cat?
    How much would you have wanted 10yrs ago?
    How much would you pay to stop someone strangling a cat?
    obv it depends on the cat. i would strangle a stray for ~4k maybe. if it were a pet cat it might be $25k. if i was risking jail time it would be much higher.

10 years ago i wouldve done it for $1k and $10k probably

a wild cat, id pay about $10 for someone to let it go. maybe $200 if it was someone's pet.

i wonder what my answers would be if i was in a different mood

Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    Would you rather win a WSOPC watch/bracelet or the World Series of Peggle?
    being a 2 time WSOPeggle champ would be sweet. durrrr won it in 2012 and i would love to win it back. i beat him in the finals in 2011 so i think he probably thinks hes the best from combining his last 2 years performance but i KNOW im top 5 in the world, probably #1 when im playing my A game

Quote Originally Posted by lolzzz_321 View Post
    Which one is >, World Series of Peggle or World Series of Pegging?
    the WSOpeggle is a pretty good party...
    Do you have any hobbies?
    i like thinking of ideas and theories and explanations. reading and otherwise gathering information support this and i guess they are hobbies. for fun i like hanging at the beach, the bar, gambling, playing soccer, business. im trying to become less interested in sports, which is almost an active hobby
    buuuurn.

Mister gabe, you have a reputation for being very personable and whatnot at the live poker table, how much do you enjoy live versus online play, and that sort of dealio.
    i love live poker. most of the time i dont play short sessions, so making the table have fun makes the day more enjoyable to me. its important to keep the bad players enjoying their time. people love gambling when they are having fun. also i love shutting down a douche at the table. any time someone gets out of line i have the confidence/experience to call them out and get the fish on my side. its rare to be at a table where all the other players aren't "putting out" conversation and im never hating life playing live. even through a day of the sickest beats i can always enjoy the moment.

online is fun but its more challenging. all my energy can be focused on out thinking people. many internet players have poker fundamental toughness but they dont know how to adapt to live things, so they dont win at live poker automatically like they think they should. stuff like giving off tells, spotting tells, table presence, image awareness etc all mean nothing online but factor in to live winrates big time.

i wish i had the option of online poker but i enjoy both because i love the game

Quote Originally Posted by kmind View Post
    Gabe - I loved the way you played and reading your old blog on FTR. You seemed extremely aggressive + your table chats seemed to tilt everyone.

What made you really understand the game and start moving up rapidly? Who were the first few poker friends you talked to that really helped your game?

Miss Virginia at all?
    thanks. i just put alot of time in to get better. i really wanted to be good. i had lots of free time (this comes from letting my university grades plummet) so i would go over HHs, rail the big games (like 5/10 10/20 at the time) and talk about stuff with friends. ive always had this psychological need to do things in a fun/clever way, like playing travel soccer growing up i would always be trying to pull off sick moves or whatever. or like in starcraft (through which i found online poker originally) i wouldnt want to just get better at playing solid, but get better at strategies where i would always have fun. i think this carried over to poker so the poker spots id focus on were the nonstandard get-sick-wit-it type of spots.

the first poker friends i had were on the ftr forums. we would hang out in IRC or ventrillo and grind away. my money didnt start taking off until i started participating on 2p2 strategy and through that i made lots of high stakes friends. no one really stands out as helping me more than anyone else, but i was definitely inspired by watching the sickest players online (who werent always the biggest winners but they were who i was drawn to)
    Sup?
    seriously? zing
    Quote Originally Posted by swiggidy View Post
    bus?
    havent been on a bus in 2 years
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Are you drunk right now?
    no although it doesnt take much to get me drunk nowadays. 3 years ago i could pound beers no problem but ive lost my drinking toughness. 3 g+ts and im in the zone
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa4ever View Post
    How are the games in Macao?
    Should I go there and play poker for a living? I'm a Hong Kong citizen. I'm competent in NLHE and very, very good in Omaha and Omaha H/L.

Good to hear from you once again.
    the 50/100 games can be really soft but the rake is pretty high. if the game is full of nits its hard to beat the rake. there is no o8 there, just plo, usually 100/200 but sometimes they split that into 50/100 and 200/500

u should go try it out. the plo games are cool because its like a poker club. most people know everyones name because its mostly the same players, who are all good at some stuff but bad at other stuff. one thing though is, as you already know, plo variance is sick. and only getting in 20 hands an hour can result in sick swings where its hard to work your way out of it. imagine how easy it is to run bad for 3000 hands online, then think about how long that takes playing in a casino. i have a friend who ran bad in 2 days at 100/200 and lost 450k straight buying in for 20 at a time and he plays plo very well.

theres lots of competition for the soft money.

Quote Originally Posted by Biazellag View Post
    Hi
    If you were not playing poker, what other job/ hobby will you have picked for yourself?
    i used to be very interested in trading. im pretty set on not working for someone else unless its the perfect opportunity. im glad i found poker because it shook me out of the 'go to college-> get a job' mentality that so many people get stuck on. now that i know this id probably hustle up a business if there was no more poker. but if there was no internet and no poker, i would probably become a hawaiian farm hand or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Biazellag View Post
    When did you know you are meant to become a professional poker player?
    probably when i first started making money by outthinking people. exploiting dumb fish is one (easy) thing but beating people who have a clue is so much more rewarding. ive been making decent money since 2006, back when online was huge. i fell in love with the lifestyle and knew i had to work hard to keep it up. i cant think of a defining moment or anything
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsq921 View Post
    In your opinion, who are the best poker players of today?
    dwan and galfond are easily the best NLH players in the world and probably both are top 3 plo. if u put durrrr in any NL holdem ring game in the world he will have the biggest edge. jungleman seems to be the best at HU but i bet against him in the durrrr hu challenge.

ivey obv gets a nod for all around toughness. most tv pros from a few years ago aren't that good, just lucky to be in the places theyve been. like negreanu isnt a terrible player but he would get smashed up in most cash games. hes good at being marketable n stuff tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsq921 View Post
    Are you de-sensitized to winning and losing large sums?

Who first taught you to play the game?

Do you all online poker is rigged to a degree?

When and/or how did you realize you had what it takes to compete with pro players? How long did it take you to get there?

Would you rather sit at a table with a couple of pros so you can tell your friends you played at the same table with .... (example: Chris Ferguson) or would you rather sit at the table with the regular poker players

Thanks!
    -yes im extremely desensitized to winning and losing large sums. all the biggest pots ive played, ive lost, so that makes it easier

-i was playing starcraft about 9 years ago and saw a big time player blogging about the insane money he was making. that when i got interested and started searching out how to play. december 2004 i stumbled on FTR and since then my poker skill has gone up and up and up. i owe alot to the FTR community

-im convinced online poker is not rigged, at least for the major sites. in the casino ive seen hours and hours of action flops and sick beats, so it makes sense that happens online but more often since you get more hands in.

-i started playing limit in early 2005, build a roll and by 2006 i was in the 6m games on partypoker. in 2007 and 2008 i just kept building money up online with the occasional high stakes shot. in 2009 i focused on taking all i could out of the 6m mid stakes games on stars, and in 2010 i started playing live more. every summer beginning in 2008 ive played many wsop events. i just kept afloat throughout the years which is all i need to know that i got what it takes. i cant think of a better answer now

-i would much rather sit at the table with a bunch of regular poker players as long as they werent nits wearing hoodie/sunglasses/headphones.

ive played with almost all the famous tv pros from over the years including negreanu, ferguson, helmuth, matusow, lindgren and on and on and none of them were that great to play with. the only reason its fun to play with famous people is owning them in a hand and telling friends. also seeing how bad some of the more famous players play makes me feel good about making money in poker long term. bonus thread from 5 years ago where i played my first WSOP ever and my first table was with negreanu: http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ml#post1642338

one of my favorite memories is sitting on dan harrington's left in the aussie millions 10k. i had read all his books and they were very helpful when i was a relative novice. but for 4+ hours one day i owned him in every hand we played. it felt great. i remembered reading his book trying to learn everything he was explaining, and here i was 3 betting with air, c/r with nothing, overbetting river for value and making a big call vs him. that was one of the moments i really felt validated. dan was a nice guy although i havent seen him around poker for a few years
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy View Post
    Plans for the future?
    keep getting my passive cash flow up so i can keep doing what i want. im gonna travel and play some poker this year, and in between grinding trips ill try to be involved in investing and businessing. short term plan: host a werewolf game
    Quote Originally Posted by fjuanl View Post
    How has your life changed since Black Friday? Do you still play poker?
    its forced me to get out in the world and be creative. online poker was my comfort zone. i still play poker alot. this year i plan on going back to macau some, playing wsop in vegas, maybe hopping to some international cities like toronto/cancun where i can play online and have vacation at the same time
    tell us a cool story, doesn't have to be poker related. oh this isn't a question, so... can you please tell us a cool story?
    on new years eve in vegas when the cosmopolitan opened, jayz had a private concert with coldplay where they performed and did a ball drop. tickets werent public, you had to be a connected casino person to get the $1200 ticket. i had a friend who got them (i think he actually picked them up from phil ivey's dad). the show was absolutely sick, kanye popped up out of nowhere, then john mayer ripped guitar during 99 problems, then beyonce did some halo action. really incredible show. then at the end everyone left and it was just me and maybe 7 of my friends just dancing in front of the stage while a dj played music. all the fancy vegas guests were clearing out, except maybe 20 men and women. one of the suited men was standing by himself on the edge of the dance floor, watching our crew dance and laugh it up. it was channing tatum by himself. he was holding a bottle of dom in one hand an a glass in the other hand. i went up to him 'hey man you think jayz' is coming back out?? channing says nahh i dont think so man. i say 'damn' and go back to dancing. the end
    what did u imagine
    Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    Gabe what's the password?

What is Gobekli Tepe?

What's the difference between a dog and a fox? Answer in terms of number of beers
    what. what. is a fox a cat or a dog cuz it looks like both
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post

If i was a high stakes pro I doubt I'd be getting up before noon to answer a bunch of questions on a forum either. Let the man sleep.
    yea its weird... like it says ama starts april 25, but i couldve answered questions yesterday or the day before, but i didnt. there was no reason to not answer them then, other than that the first post says starts april 25. iont know

Quote Originally Posted by mrickett View Post
    You wake up one morning to find that poker of all forms and locations has been banned. What's your first step.. Do you fight the good fight, or find something else to do with your life?

What non-poker related cause are you most sympathetic to in the world right now?
    -i think i would fight the good fight and find something else to do. how can i just do one of those if there was no poker? if there was no poker, i would have to do something else, but that would entail fighting the good fight. unless fighting the good fight is implying something crazy i havent thought of. if i had $0 and there was no poker i would probably get a job, and use all my leftover money to start a business. if i had to get a job, i would know it wasn't going to be a lifelong career because i know i wouldnt want to work for anyone else for a long time. so the job itself wouldnt matter too much, unless i could use it to build connections or network

-tough question, because there are lots of causes im somewhat sympathetic towards but not many cause me to take action. like i think its messed up they are keeping those dudes locked up in guantanomo. i think lots of rich people do make too much money and have too much influence. i think the dumb/poor people are brainwashed by mainstream media (whether intentionally or not). any war the US is involved in is bogus. i wish we would explore space and new forms of energy more. i think public school system and colleges are not the best system. too many people are on pharmaceuticals instead of weed. we treat the earth pretty shitty. the cia is scary and the federal reserve is a sick debt slave driver. im sympathetic towards people who want to own guns. the system is rigged against people in the ghetto. i dont know if this answers your question but theres some of my opinions
    interesting. i always assumed that the games must be sick good for all the people to be talking about it and sort of a small second boom in asia or something. why do you think macau started becoming so popular for poker recently? or have we just started hearing about it?
    the games can be sick good, and they are more often good compared to some poker game in vegas. its not really a second poker boom, its that macau has overtaken las vegas by all measures in gambling. there are lots of rich chinese people and asians love gambling. hong kong attracts people with money from all over the hemisphere.

i was there on chinese new years where apparently all the hotel rooms in the city are booked. so you would think the games were all amazing. but there are 30 extra poker pros in the poker room all competing that week so edges all go down. its a grind like any form of poker