Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

-14bi's in only 10k hands??

Default -14bi's in only 10k hands??

So this is month two at 10nl. Last month I was rocking like mad and doing very well. Then suddenly right at the beginning of the month I fall flat on my face. I'm going to post some hands and would really appreciate your feed back. I know it can't just be varience but I can't figure out what I'm doing different than before???

1.) villian is 11/9/3 over 133 hands. My thought is when I hit the flop as hard as I did I could slow play for value.

$0.05/$0.1 No Limit Holdem
    9 players
    Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
    UTG benfyn ($8.30)
    UTG+1 Big Grammy P ($6.05)
    MP1 foreng ($26.50)
    MP2 larnot ($1.00)
    MP3 thorli_AA ($11.55)
    CO TDavis05 ($10.05)
    BTN atoha511 ($20.65)
    SB Hero ($11.45)
    BB koreams ($10.90)

Pre-flop: ($0.15, 9 players) Hero is SB
    5 folds, TDavis05 raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.95, 1 fold, TDavis05 calls $0.65

Flop: ($2, 2 players)
    Hero checks, TDavis05 bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($5, 2 players)
    Hero bets $3.60, TDavis05 goes all-in $7.60, Hero ??

2.) Button is 13/1/3 over 108 hands and UTG has only been at the table a short time and is 33/4/1.3 over 23 hands. I hit my set on the flop and am thinking I dont want to scare off anybody so I don't bet much hoping to build a pot.

9 players

Stacks:
    UTG rego10 ($15.10)
    UTG+1 jghawkins05 ($1.85)
    MP1 LoCoSi ($10.35)
    MP2 FUTBOLCHE ($9.65)
    MP3 TDavis05 ($15.00)
    CO Hero ($10.00)
    BTN Catfish299 ($5.35)
    SB millencolin7 ($7.95)
    BB Perdedoro ($11.75)

Pre-flop: ($0.15, 9 players) Hero is CO
    rego10 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, Catfish299 calls $0.50, 2 folds, rego10 calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.65, 3 players)
    rego10 checks, Hero bets $0.60, Catfish299 calls $0.60, rego10 calls $0.60

Turn: ($3.45, 3 players)
    rego10 checks, Hero bets $2.45, Catfish299 goes all-in $4.25, rego10 says "omg", rego10 says "hard to fold this", Perdedoro says "what, top pair? :P", rego10 folds, Hero calls $1.80

3.) I fucked this up....OOoops

4) Villian is 29/25/6 over 78 hands. I played this pretty standard for how I play sets typically.

6 players

Stacks:
    UTG Frankenboy ($5.70)
    UTG+1 pitgram ($12.10)
    CO renanstos ($11.90)
    BTN KaLYaN[pg] ($10.45)
    SB Hero ($14.85)
    BB kaolimi ($11.95)

Pre-flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is SB
    Frankenboy calls $0.10, 1 fold, renanstos calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.60, kaolimi raises to $1.70, Frankenboy folds, renanstos folds, Hero calls $1.10

Flop: ($3.60, 2 players)
    Hero bets $2.25, kaolimi goes all-in $10.25, Hero??

5) This one just drove me nuts. Villian is a total retard and is playing 74/14/.7 over 57 hands.

5 players

Stacks:
    UTG Hero ($20.90)
    CO Orfi14 ($10.00)
    BTN SLOVADKIA ($27.90)
    SB hamtitam ($20.15)
    BB MakingUProud ($33.60)
    [Orfi14 posted $0.05]

Pre-flop: ($0.20, 5 players) Hero is UTG
    Hero raises to $0.45, Orfi14 calls $0.45, SLOVADKIA calls $0.45, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.55, 3 players)
    Hero bets $0.95, Orfi14 calls $0.95, SLOVADKIA calls $0.95

Turn: ($4.40, 3 players)
    Hero bets $3.15, Orfi14 calls $3.15, SLOVADKIA folds

River: ($10.70, 2 players)
    Hero bets $8.65, Orfi14 goes all-in $5.40, Hero says "nh"

Please let me know what you see? I really need the feed back and welcome any comments.
    "You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience...
    The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX View Post
    Do you have testicles? If so, learn to bet like it
    you posted hand 2 twice
    1. bet bigger
    2. dont slowplay
    pretty awful stuff, you should be able to look at the HHs yourself and realize what you did wrong in these.
    1. two pair is the last hand in the world you wanna slow play, especially on a two toned flop. it's better here because it's top two in a three bet pot but i still don't like it

2. this is FR right? flop sets make money right? almost never bet <1/2 the pot at these limits (pretty much only time it makes sense is as a donk against an aggro player who's likely to see that as weakness and come back over the top). stop getting so fancy, bet at it and make your monies.

3. deja vu

4. fold to 3bet. don't donk here (i know it sounds like the exception i just made for making <1/2 bet but the board's wetness doesn't lend well to that strategy). 3bet% is a crucial stat to analyze this hand and determine ranges but i'm c/r'ing all in 99% of the time here.

5. this is played fine. personally, i bet more on the flop (1.25?) and am completely ok with them both folding out (mainly because the station is involved in the hand). i'm definitely betting big on the turn (maybe 3.95 into what would be the $5 pot) and then the river is an easy tiny push even after the SD completed. but all that is nit-picking, the vbet/vbet/vbet line is correct.

saying that you're running bad is pretty much equivalent to posting results though so you're skewing the responses. all of these are coolers and all of us would've lost our stack in these situations, so you're better off posting hands where you maybe lost value by not getting enough or thin value hands or just general questions about how to deal with certain types of fish and such
    Play them harder. The stations will come with you.

And I'm sure most experienced players will tell you that -14BI in 10K hands is not unusual. Given the hands you posted its highly likely that you are contributing to your losses with less-than-optimal play. I have no doubt you are suffering at the hands of the poker gods too, but no worse than others have before you. FWIW, I recently hit -31BI in less than 20K hands at 50NL - which IS an unusually large downswing - but I did compound my ugly variance with poor play.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73
    pretty awful stuff, you should be able to look at the HHs yourself and realize what you did wrong in these.
    GREAT FUCKING INPUT AS USUAL.

If I didn't need help then I wouldn't have asked for it. I really wish you were as good of a mod as you are at making videos! I really enjoy your teaching technique in the videos but these one liners are useless!
    "You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience...
    The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyGuy13
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73
    GREAT FUCKING INPUT AS USUAL.

If I didn't need help then I wouldn't have asked for it. I really wish you were as good of a mod as you are at making videos! I really enjoy your teaching technique in the videos but these one liners are useless!
    you didn't make an effort to explain your thinking, why would he make an effort to explain his? I see nothing in your post that says "I donked the flop because I can do this with a wide range and he's seen me do it before"
    No, you said "this is how I play sets"
    1. Is 3betting AQo pre flop good here ? AQs I may have , or maybe iI just don't 3bet enough but in this situation you're going to be out of position for the rest of the hand in a big pot.Were you hoping to take it down pre?
    this way on the flop , pot will be 65c, i'd bet 50c . If he raises ,hmmm is it a set, flush draw ,straight draw AK. Depends on his bet size.
    As played why check call, why not check raise and see what he does. If he re raises, I'd probably be thinking set , if he calls flush and straight draws are still there.
    As played , by the river play I'd say he's AA,QQ or KJ.

2. you've hit your set , I'd be $1.40 ish on the flop,if they both call , I'd be shoving to try and price out the flush draws, and gut shots and hope no one had made the straight.

4. I'd fold pre, 3betting hes probably on QQ,KK,AA, AK so you're most likely behind and set mining another $1 doesn't give you the 15:1 set odds so i'd fold

5. I'd pot the flop and probably the turn as well
    My ROI went through the roof when I stopped slowplaying.

When you flop hard, bet hard.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    I'm going to ask a few questions. Hopefully answering them will help.

hand 1) when is a good time to slowplay? e.g. board texture, ranges, scare cards, etc... surviva makes some interesting points.

hand 2) think of conditions where betting 1/3 pot makes sense. Do any apply here? what is your aim when you flop a set? how best to achieve this?

hand 3) what is a poker hand ?

hand 4) what are implied odds? how do these relate to playing pocket pairs pre-flop? is it nice to play against a strong range out of position? why? when does it make sense to call or 4-bet (vs fold) when you have been 3-bet?

hand 5) how should you determine maximum bet-size when you are betting for value?
    Hand #1) Two pair really isn't a great hand to begin with, so you really shouldn't ever slow play it. Slow playing it on this hand is even worse with this flop because there's a flush draw and a straight draw. I'd bet pot or a little more to take away drawing odds and fold to any aggression.

As played, fold turn. I've no clue what he has, but he sure thinks he's got you beat. As tight as he seems to be playing, I'd guess a set or better.

Hand #2) Preflop looks good. Flop bet seems small, I'd bet at least 2/3 of the pot and maybe PSB to give bad drawing odds. As played, I'd call turn, seems like your pot commited.

Hand #4) I'd probably fold preflop. Typically at this level, a 3-bet means AA or KK. Unless you have a real good read on his three bet range, you're probably behind preflop and you're not getting good enough odds to hope for a set.

Hand #5) Bet pot on the flop to give flush draws and straight draws bad odds. Don't bet the river so big. There's too many crap hands that beat you.