Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumPoker News, Reviews, Tools

Gripe: PP software exploit to aid winning/minimizing losses

Default Gripe: PP software exploit to aid winning/minimizing losses

I guess you can't technically call this cheating because they are exploiting a flaw that, in my opinion, should be addressed by Party Poker. However, I think on a moral level it isn't right and I personally consider it a form of cheating.

One exploit of the Party Poker software that I am finding increasingly annoying is when people allow themselves to disconnect when faced with calling a large bet from an opponent. This really sucks because instead of folding your hand, Party Poker will let you continue on with the hand. This allows players to consciously allow themselves to disconnect after the time to make a decision runs out. This way they do not have to put more money in the pot in order to see thru to the end of the hand.

It serves two purposes for those players that do it. 1) It helps them to win pots when they have the best hand that they might have otherwise folded when faced with actually having to call a large raise. 2) It helps them to minimize their losses when they do not have the best hand by enabling them to see the hand thru to the end without having to call the raise.

I tend to see this at least once a night now. Last night someone did it twice (which is the total number of Disconnect Protections that PP gives you) and someone at the table said they were on the phone with PP and that PP said they were monitoring the table and that they were going to lock out the offending player's account. Don't know if this is true but if PP sees this as an issue why don't they address it with an update to the software. I would think that they should be able to tell the difference between someone who actually loses network connectivity vs. someone who simply allows the time to run out before acting.

Anyone else have any insight on this issue?
    "The urge to gamble is so universal and it's practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil." - Heywood Broun
    Only had this happen to me once. I went all-in and he "disconnected". Of course he made his hand on the river and beat me. Was about to call/email PP but I requested a hand history and it said disconnect protect or some such nonsense. I don't really like it, but what are you going to do? I figured they were just disconnecting themselves as opposed to just letting time expire. I thought if time expired without acting on a bet, PP automatically folds you?

Haven't really looked into it - do you get two disconnect protects every day?
    JM They updated it. No more disconnect-protection! I guess enough people agreed with you and complained about it.
    I've had people do that to me. Sucks because it was a tourney I slow played a hand and trapped him perfect. He disconnected and ended up cutting his losses and winning hte tourney.

If you don't take action, meaning you jsut let time run out then PP knows this and folds your hand. It would require you to disconnect from the internet in order to use the disconnect protect.

I have a rather flakey internet connection at home. My DSL connection goes down for about 30 seconds every hour or so. Only one time has it happened mid hand and used an disconnect protect but it still sucks!
    You guys are right. They must actually disconnect themselves from their internet connection as opposed to simply letting time expire, in which case they will be folded.

In any event, if PP has since done away with the disconnect protection then I say kudos. I know that it will come back to burn me the day I have my royal flush and my cable connection flakes out on me and I get folded. However, the fact that it will alleviate the "cheaters" is good enough for me.

Does anyone know when the no more disconnect protection takes effect? I witnessed some guy doing this as recently as yesterday evening.
    "The urge to gamble is so universal and it's practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil." - Heywood Broun
    Quote Originally Posted by jmrogers7
    You guys are right. They must actually disconnect themselves from their internet connection as opposed to simply letting time expire, in which case they will be folded.

In any event, if PP has since done away with the disconnect protection then I say kudos. I know that it will come back to burn me the day I have my royal flush and my cable connection flakes out on me and I get folded. However, the fact that it will alleviate the "cheaters" is good enough for me.

Does anyone know when the no more disconnect protection takes effect? I witnessed some guy doing this as recently as yesterday evening.
    I think the disconnect protection is only disabled in multi-table trny's so far.
    Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants won't help.
    -- Calvin and Hobbes
    I've noticed this too. It sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by strangebird
    Quote Originally Posted by jmrogers7

I think the disconnect protection is only disabled in multi-table trny's so far.
    strangebird is right
    I reported a player I saw doing this last night to PartyPoker Investigations. I copied the hand history and sent it to them. Here's their reply:

We have checked the disconnect of player adderall_kid during hand number 546272896. Although the hand you reported does look suspicious on its own, there is no pattern to suggest that this player is intentionally disconnecting. Players can and will be legitimately disconnected at times that would look suspicious.

We have investigated this players history of disconnects and use of the disconnect protection. At this point, there is no reason to believe that the player in question intentionally disconnected during the hand that you reported. This player has rarely ever been disconnected or used the Disconnect Protection. We have made a note of this hand and the investigation done for future reference. If the player does at any time show a pattern of abuse we will remove his protection. We have sent an email to the player informing him of the investigation and making him aware of our policies regarding Disconnect Protection. We hope that you appreciate our efforts to be an honest and fair site.

Please, if you see anyone doing this, report it to PartyPoker. Players like this need to show a "pattern," i.e., multiple reports on them, before PartyPoker takes permanent action against them.

PartyPoker Investigations: alerts @ partypoker.com
    Had one drop on me last night...

Punk

***** Hand History for Game 574157793 *****
    0/0 TexasHTGameTable (PL) - Tue May 04 08:52:36 EDT 2004
    Table Do the freak (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
    Total number of players : 10
    Seat 1: Upsboy77 ( $40.80)
    Seat 2: staceymac ( $26.15)
    Seat 3: MANATEN ( $21.15)
    Seat 4: Aneubis ( $25.95)
    Seat 5: ragusgrl ( $36.19)
    Seat 6: caspis ( $26.70)
    Seat 7: tasupe2 ( $47.75)
    Seat 8: fanou74 ( $7.10)
    Seat 9: smelmel ( $210.11)
    Seat 10: Fnord ( $30.50)
    fanou74 posts small blind (0.25)
    smelmel posts big blind (0.50)
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to Fnord [ Ad, Kd ]
    Fnord raises (1.75) to 1.75
    Upsboy77 calls (1.75)
    staceymac folds.
    MANATEN folds.
    Aneubis folds.
    ragusgrl folds.
    caspis folds.
    tasupe2 calls (1.75)
    fanou74 folds.
    smelmel folds.
    ** Dealing Flop ** : [ Qc, 4h, Ac ]
    Fnord bets (5.70)
    Upsboy77 folds.
    tasupe2 could not respond in time.(disconnected)
    tasupe2 Disconnect Protection enabled.
    ** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6h ]
    ** Dealing River ** : [ 2c ]
    Creating main pot with $5.70 with players tasupe2
    ** Summary **
    Main Pot: $5.70 | Side Pot 1: $5.70 | Rake: $0.30
    Board: [ Qc 4h Ac 6h 2c ]
    Upsboy77 balance $39.05, lost $1.75 (folded)
    staceymac balance $26.15, didn't bet (folded)
    MANATEN balance $21.15, didn't bet (folded)
    Aneubis balance $25.95, didn't bet (folded)
    ragusgrl balance $36.19, didn't bet (folded)
    caspis balance $26.70, didn't bet (folded)
    tasupe2 balance $51.70, bet $1.75, collected $5.70, net +$3.95 [ Jc 5c ] [ a flush, ace high -- Ac,Qc,Jc,5c,2c ]
    fanou74 balance $6.85, lost $0.25 (folded)
    smelmel balance $209.61, lost $0.50 (folded)
    Fnord balance $28.75, bet $7.45, collected $5.70, lost -$1.75 [ Ad Kd ] [ a pair of aces -- Ad,Ac,Kd,Qc,6h ]
    you going to report him?