Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

First Real Money Play Results

Default First Real Money Play Results

Good news is I deposited 50 and I have decided to stop with about 120 after a few hours of playing.

After getting a big smile by seeing something other than 0 in the real money account at party poker, I joined a no limit 25$ table with avg pot to be somewhat low. Since I am a cheap poor college student, I decided to play with 10, at first It went it good, bluffs worked well. In fact all my bluffs worked at the "regular tables". I went up to around 25, then down around 15, I decided to stop and move on to the tournament tables which I loved in play chip land. First tournament, second place, second tourney, 3rd place. After that I couldn't control my emotions in the next two and went out early with stupid bets or calls, which I also did in the first two when I lost after being excited because I was going to win money. Last one, i went out in 4th after the blinds got to about 500 and just were killing me.

I returned to the regular table once more, and my stack grew to 120. I wish I can say I am a somewhat skilled player to do it but the fact is I took another guys $120 stack with 3 extremely lucky hands, (we both had extremely good hands and and I went all in on all 3 beating him). I decided to quit while I was ahead. Fun few hours and I made money, can't ask for more.

Have to control emotions..have to control emotions..

Good news is I deposited 50 and I have decided to stop with about 120 after a few hours of playing.

After getting a big smile by seeing something other than 0 in the real money account at party poker, I joined a no limit 25$ table with avg pot to be somewhat low. Since I am a cheap poor college student, I decided to play with 10, at first It went it good, bluffs worked well. In fact all my bluffs worked at the "regular tables". I went up to around 25, then down around 15, I decided to stop and move on to the tournament tables which I loved in play chip land. First tournament, second place, second tourney, 3rd place. After that I couldn't control my emotions in the next two and went out early with stupid bets or calls, which I also did in the first two when I lost after being excited because I was going to win money. Last one, i went out in 4th after the blinds got to about 500 and just were killing me.

I returned to the regular table once more, and my stack grew to 120. I wish I can say I am a somewhat skilled player to do it but the fact is I took another guys $120 stack with 3 extremely lucky hands, (we both had extremely good hands and and I went all in on all 3 beating him). I decided to quit while I was ahead. Fun few hours and I made money, can't ask for more.

Ragingguitarist18, It is great to see you over here on this board! I'm glad you're off to a nice start with the real money tables on PartyPoker.

Feel free to post more experiences on this forum. There are many regulars that give good advice like Tyson, Xianti and Fnord.
    Ragingguitarist18, It is great to see you over here on this board! I'm glad you're off to a nice start with the real money tables on PartyPoker.

Feel free to post more experiences on this forum. There are many regulars that give good advice like Tyson, Xianti and Fnord.

Default Re: First Real Money Play Results

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingguitarist18
    Glad things worked out well for you. I remember when I started I had a rush at the $3/$1 tables. Ended up nearly +$500 net in my first month of play (including the deposit bonus.) However, my skill level, luck and the transition to NL did me in. Lost all that and at my lowest point was net -$250. Since then I've rebuilt to nearly all the way back to +$500 at the no limit tables.

I strongly recommend at least a bankroll of $250 to play the $25 no limit tables. A swing of losing $75-$100 is not that uncommon for me and I'm now an overall profitable player. I probably swing a little more than others, since I'll experiment a little, play with as tall a stack I can get and I'm not at all shy of putting it all in when I think I have the upper hand.

Also table selection, table selection, table selection, seat selection is soo important in no-limit particulary starting out. I probably have made most of my profit from poor players. I am always evaluating if I'm at the right seat on the right table and if I have doubts I'll shop around between hands.

Finally, I personally avoid Sit-n-Go tournaments. The first few hands are nearly meaningless (the foolish and unlucky go first, you don't want to be either.) I swear I could train a rather smart hamster to just go all-in on AA or KK and fold everything else and I would be in good shape when the blinds get to around 50-100 chips. Then it gets interesting with some significant blinds playing survial poker with the remaining 4-8 players. Finally, it just plain gets silly with enormous blinds degerating into more luck than skill. With HUGE pay-off differences between 4rth 3rd 2nd and 1rst determined by those obscene blinds I just don't see it as a reliably profitable use of an hour compared to the NL ring games.

Glad things worked out well for you. I remember when I started I had a rush at the $3/$1 tables. Ended up nearly +$500 net in my first month of play (including the deposit bonus.) However, my skill level, luck and the transition to NL did me in. Lost all that and at my lowest point was net -$250. Since then I've rebuilt to nearly all the way back to +$500 at the no limit tables.

I strongly recommend at least a bankroll of $250 to play the $25 no limit tables. A swing of losing $75-$100 is not that uncommon for me and I'm now an overall profitable player. I probably swing a little more than others, since I'll experiment a little, play with as tall a stack I can get and I'm not at all shy of putting it all in when I think I have the upper hand.

Also table selection, table selection, table selection, seat selection is soo important in no-limit particulary starting out. I probably have made most of my profit from poor players. I am always evaluating if I'm at the right seat on the right table and if I have doubts I'll shop around between hands.

Finally, I personally avoid Sit-n-Go tournaments. The first few hands are nearly meaningless (the foolish and unlucky go first, you don't want to be either.) I swear I could train a rather smart hamster to just go all-in on AA or KK and fold everything else and I would be in good shape when the blinds get to around 50-100 chips. Then it gets interesting with some significant blinds playing survial poker with the remaining 4-8 players. Finally, it just plain gets silly with enormous blinds degerating into more luck than skill. With HUGE pay-off differences between 4rth 3rd 2nd and 1rst determined by those obscene blinds I just don't see it as a reliably profitable use of an hour compared to the NL ring games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    Also table selection, table selection, table selection, seat selection is soo important in no-limit particulary starting out.
    I concur. I tell all my friends just starting to play online that finding tables with favorable conditions is half the battle. I'll spend 5 minutes or more just scoping out the tables before I sit down to play. And yes, where you sit at that table is also important.

For some tips on table selection, go here:
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...=21&highlight=

Also table selection, table selection, table selection, seat selection is soo important in no-limit particulary starting out.
    I concur. I tell all my friends just starting to play online that finding tables with favorable conditions is half the battle. I'll spend 5 minutes or more just scoping out the tables before I sit down to play. And yes, where you sit at that table is also important.

thanks for the tips guys, I probably would be playing but partypoker gave me a message that my account is temporarily frozen and to call customer support and something about clearing security issues. Is this a normal thing party poker does to everyone? Ill see what its about.
    thanks for the tips guys, I probably would be playing but partypoker gave me a message that my account is temporarily frozen and to call customer support and something about clearing security issues. Is this a normal thing party poker does to everyone? Ill see what its about.
    partypoker gave me a message that my account is temporarily frozen and to call customer support and something about clearing security issues. Is this a normal thing party poker does to everyone? Ill see what its about.
    They've never done that to me. Hopefully they'll straighten it out soon.
    partypoker gave me a message that my account is temporarily frozen and to call customer support and something about clearing security issues. Is this a normal thing party poker does to everyone? Ill see what its about.
    It might have something to do with the recent denial-of-service attack on PartyPoker. Perhaps they have changed or beefed-up their screening process...?
    It might have something to do with the recent denial-of-service attack on PartyPoker. Perhaps they have changed or beefed-up their screening process...?
    all they wanted was to verify info i had already given, like dob and such. Supposedly they called the day i deposited but I probably wasn't home when they did so they froze the account. seems a bit much to me, but can't blame them for wanting extra security. Maybe I shouldn't of used a cc and registered my bank account instead.
    all they wanted was to verify info i had already given, like dob and such. Supposedly they called the day i deposited but I probably wasn't home when they did so they froze the account. seems a bit much to me, but can't blame them for wanting extra security. Maybe I shouldn't of used a cc and registered my bank account instead.
    It is good to know they made sure there were no fraud issues with your credit card. I joined with an ATM card and they called me too. They wanted to make sure the deposit was legit. I thought it was because of the high amount ($500 to get the max bonus of $100) but I guess they check everyone's since your deposit was only $50.
    It is good to know they made sure there were no fraud issues with your credit card. I joined with an ATM card and they called me too. They wanted to make sure the deposit was legit. I thought it was because of the high amount ($500 to get the max bonus of $100) but I guess they check everyone's since your deposit was only $50.