Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

bjsaust's $3.40 turbo SnG VIDEO

Default bjsaust's $3.40 turbo SnG VIDEO

BjsAust demonstrates a simple ABC SnG poker style suitable for beating low stakes STTs. Video is aimed mainly at newer players trying to build their roll up from a small deposit through SnGs.

$3+$0.40 Turbo SnG 2-Table with BjsAust

Please rate this video and discuss here.
    Good video!
    Thanks man.

As Xianti said, it probably doesnt apply to most of you, although please watch it and give any feedback . Never know, might be something in there.

The main aim in this one was to have a video to point new sng players to who are starting out trying to build their roll. I've got some ideas for future ones along similar lines, to have something to point people to as they start thinking about other steps, such as multi-tabling, moving up in stakes, etc. Will see how this one goes first though.

Thanks Xianti .
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    Just watched it. Very good strategy for the $3.40s. Looking forward to your future vids.
    I think that this will be useful for those sng players who struggle routinely.
    thank you for the video! it was realy nice to watch and informative. interesting to see how you push any two cards later in the game and hu if the spot is right. hope to see some more videos of you very soon.
    This is one of the best videos for a player who is new to sng's. You very clearly get your thought process across to the viewer.

I didn't see any links to other videos that were made but would really be interested in watching.

Thanks for putting this video together. Very well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by enteratlantis
    Very Good Video
    ban this spammer please
    Thanks for feedback guys. I did try to prepare beforehand for this video rather than just wing it, so glad to hear it came across well.

Havnt got around to doing another yet. I've basically moved onto ring games now (6-max). I have been thinking about grinding some $11s on stars to boost my gauntlet monies a bit, so maybe I'll do that and get back into the swing of things then do the next one.
    This video really helped me understand the SnG game! I have watched it several times now. Excellent stuff, man!

Mental note, ... must rate it
    Hey bjsaust,

I just took a peek at your vid. Very interesting, even watching it without sound/commentary. I definitly would've played differently in some spots so I'm curious what you'll have to say about those situations

Definitely worth watching!

Cheers,
    elitemob
    Haven't got through the whole thing yet, but so far so good.

Only suggestion would be to use the preferred seating on pokerstars so you are in the same spot on each table. This is just personal preference though.
    Yeah, if I do another one 4-tabling I'll do that for sure. Never did if for myself but could make it easier for viewers.
    Thanks, I learned a ton from this vid.

Look forward to more in the future.
    Hello,

Thanks for this instuktive video.

I see that you opponent in the headsup starts up the game very agressive and then becomes passive in the end. That`s a mistake I always used to make.

Your advice is to play tight in the beginning and then loosen up in the end.

Hope to see moer of this soon.

Taco
    Great video. First one I have seen on a turbo SNG strategy. I am used to the non turbo 9 mans on Stars, but this made me wanna try my hand at the turbos, less time involved.

Normally I play my tight game in the beginning and start to loosen up around 3rd or 4th blinds level... this showed me a lot better plan. The almost formulaic way you make decisions is great. It helped show me the RANGE and the opportunities I need to play push/fold correctly.
    I knew playing push/fold eventually was needed, but I didn't know how early the ICM kicked into effect when actually deciding to shove so early with such a large range.

Is there any way you could post a response to show what the middle range is. I know that later on it comes down to a very large range when you are heads up. But I am looking for an idea of a range to play in which positions to shove all in with in about the 4th/5th blind level. Maybe could classify them by positions... blinds+utg/middle/late(cut off and button). That way I can fully get a grasp on that range as it grows so I don't go shoving into a well dominated hand!

Best tip I think this has to offer for anyone, the AX (<5) and 55 and down. The ability to fold these instead of shoving instantly like most people would. I knew the Ace low card was a bad play, depending on the number of players left to call, but I always assumed about 44 and up was instant push in later levels.

GREAT VIDEO!!!
    Very informative, very helpful, probably the best one I have seen to date on this push/fold method. Can't thank you enough, hopefully I can start to build my $100 BR up soon. Posting one where you 4 table would be great, seeing as how I would like to try and beceom almost robotic in the way the decisions are made. More on reflex of, push/fold, then overthinking a lot of the decisions, which at the low levels can be deadly.

Thanks again.
    Keep up the great work!

Seabass
    Great video for begginers for sure.
    3 remarks:

Blinds were 75/150 you had about 900 chips in small blind.
    A9o push against raiser from UTG is clear fold, no need to use stg wizard.

Playing heads up.
    Just question, is not better to bet out the flop than check raise him all-in on flush draw ?

Also the hand AQ was too risky, slowplaying preflop and check raise all-in on the flop ?....If i would slowplay this preflop (almost never), I would bet out the flop.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)
    Thanks for comments guys, videos a year or so old Lance so my memories a bit shaky on hands.

seaBass, it wasn't specifically a turbo strategy vid, its just that its obviously quicker to make a turbo vid than regular. I think I was grinding $22 and $33 standard SNGs at the time I made it. Bare in mind the strategies are really the same for both, its just that with turbos you move through the first stages quickly and get to P/F a lot soon. In standard speed ones, especially against weak opponents you have much more chance to build a nice stack before you get there.

I havnt played SNGs seriously for a long time now, so I wont be doing anymore vids unfortunately. On the other hand, rumor has it someone even better will be doing some soon.

ICM is really hard to teach in video format, theres just so much involved in it. We can show examples, but not cover it exhaustively. The main point to take away is that you need to learn ICM away from the table. Theres really no secret formula, you just need to analyze a whole lot of scenarios and kind of build up a feel for ranges. SNG Wizard is great for this, but it can be done by hand if you need to. Stickies on here have examples and maths involved.

Something to consider when you're looking at pushing ranges, is your equity if you get called. Like if you shove A5s for 10bbs, then the hands that call you are either better AX hands, or PPs > 5, so you're never even 50% if you get called. Some hands like KQ might slip into their calling range, but not many. So when you get called, you're toast. Same with small PPs, they look good as a 'made hand', but when called you're either crushed by better PPs, or at best flipping against overcards. As you get shorter a flip isnt so bad, but if you're not desparate, you'd prefer something better, or lots of fold equity.

Lance, cant really remember that A9o hand, maybe I had some kind of read, or maybe it was bad.

HU, in both these cases the guy was giving away free money. If he's doing something 100% (which he was), then playing standardly becomes sub-optimal to exploiting that obvious leak. Higher risk, for higher reward. Why would you possibly lead out those hands when his call/raise range when you lead, is identical to his calling range when you c/r, but you know if you check you 100% get extra chips from his very large bluffing range when checked to?
    bjsaust why do you play single-table SNG's rather than MT ones? I always found it difficult to play single-tables. In many instances, you find yourself short stacked because people tend to play tighter in single-tables. This was the case in your video, too. When the blinds were 50/100 you had less than 1500 chips (1200 something) on one table and 1700 something on the other. If you didn't double up (A9 vs KQ) things would have been still difficult for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsaust
    HU, in both these cases the guy was giving away free money. If he's doing something 100% (which he was), then playing standardly becomes sub-optimal to exploiting that obvious leak. Higher risk, for higher reward. Why would you possibly lead out those hands when his call/raise range when you lead, is identical to his calling range when you c/r, but you know if you check you 100% get extra chips from his very large bluffing range when checked to?
    Yea, you are probably right.
    But, if you bet out the flop, you can still fold to raise all-in, (you have no pot odds for calling all-in). On the top of that your bet would represented Ax hand on the AK5 (or what it was) and he wont call you with trash.
    If he has a hand smth like A3o on the AK5 flop, your check raise would be probably called by this weak player.

But, as you said, higher risk for higher reward.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremophile
    bjsaust why do you play single-table SNG's rather than MT ones? I always found it difficult to play single-tables. In many instances, you find yourself short stacked because people tend to play tighter in single-tables. This was the case in your video, too. When the blinds were 50/100 you had less than 1500 chips (1200 something) on one table and 1700 something on the other. If you didn't double up (A9 vs KQ) things would have been still difficult for you.
    Tbh, they're just what I enjoyed most when I started. I spent a couple weeks playing different types and loved the rush of STTs so stuck with them. Probably as a result of focusing on STTs I'm actually pretty weak in MTTs. My forte in STTs was my short stack/PF play, but I get really lost on full tables. It hardly ever folds to me in LP/SB when I'm short, and I hardly ever get hands I feel comfortable raising/shoving from EP/MP, so I just tend to blind out a lot in MTTs. I think I've actually been significantly profitable in MTTs, but it always feels more like luck. Lots of respect to the good MTT guys for working that game out.
    great video

Really opened my eyes to when pushing ATC was the way to play

and gratz on being modded
    good ABC video for SnG........never hurts to watch it for refresher course
    Thanks for the Posting.

This video is right up my alley, as far as need and skill level.

I am going to try this method tonight, push/fold.

Thanks again, CAMurray
    Thanks for the video, this is the best SNG video i have seen yet.

I have had no problem getting to the end, just havent learned how to use the push/fold technique properly. Will apply learning very soon!!!