Official Olympics Thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrman
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzard
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    Quote Originally Posted by chardrian
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    Quote Originally Posted by chardrian
    the us men's beach volleyball with their junk flopping around was pretty exciting.
    fyp
    well,

whatcha gonna do with all that junk?
    in my trunk?
    get,get, get you drunk!

get crunk?
    fyp
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    USA VOLLLEYBALLLLL

In My OOOOOOOOO
    how am I supposed to sleep now
    USA VOLLLEYBALLLLL

In My OOOOOOOOO
    how am I supposed to sleep now
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

our volleyball program is like China's diving
    I LITERALLY STAY UP ALL FUCKING NIGHT TO CATCH THE US MENS BBALL GAME AGAINST ARGENTINA AND THEY AREN'T EVEN FUCKING SHOWING IT.

wtf, I watched Lithuania play fucking spain for 2.5 hours thinking the game I've been dying to see for 4 years would be on. Guess I'm a fucking idiot for believing that the coverage couldn't' get fucking worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73
    I LITERALLY STAY UP ALL FUCKING NIGHT TO CATCH THE US MENS BBALL GAME AGAINST ARGENTINA AND THEY AREN'T EVEN FUCKING SHOWING IT.

wtf, I watched Lithuania play fucking spain for 2.5 hours thinking the game I've been dying to see for 4 years would be on. Guess I'm a fucking idiot for believing that the coverage couldn't' get fucking worse.
    Its on right now.
    not in houston, TX it isn't.

I can either watch

men's vball on cnbc
    ping pong on usa
    or al roker run around in bejiing on NBC
    Nocioni with the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge block on Kobe ! ! ! !
    I swear to god if Ginoboli is hurt for the start of the regular season I'll personally go to Argentina and shoot every motherfucker there.

Pop told him not to play in the fucking Olympics and of course, who would have guessed, Pop was right for the 126th time in a row.
    what are they playing right now on msnbc? looks like a cross between soccer and basketball....

edit.......oh..handball?

dumb sport...
    "Yo, Jamaican sprinters, taking over the world." - Usain Bolt

I'm really digging hand ball and wondering how I've gone my entire life without being presented a chance to play it.
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    Quote Originally Posted by pankfish
    I'm really digging hand ball and wondering how I've gone my entire life without being presented a chance to play it.
    Really? I've been playing it every day since I was 12. I was told this was "normal behavior".

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.

your kidding right??
    Quote Originally Posted by dick_pump

your kidding right??

Not at all, it reminds me of power ball from American Gladiators.
    God damnit, I cannot find a report on Manu's foot. Anyone seen a link?

Aslo, wft Dick_pump, handball is the shizzle up in dis Beijing kizzle.
    So we get robbed in the Men's Taekwondo yesterday. I know, why not go and fucking rob us again today in the Women's you bunch of fucking jokers.

Fucking judges are a bunch of fucking cunts.
    - You're the reason why paradise lost

your kidding right??

It needs fewer people on the court, and a smaller goal. Also, give the goalie some decent hockey-type padding and let them block more than 10% of the shots.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    Tried watching boxing against today. 2 comments:

1. The judging is awful and biased
    2. What's worse is having to hear the commentators talk about the judging for every minute of every fight. We know it sucks, try talking about the sport a little bit k thx.

It's pretty sick how well China does in "judged" sports and how well the USA does in scored/timed sports.
    It's pretty sick how well China does in "judged" sports and how well the USA does in scored/timed sports.
    I think every country has suffered from this. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevster
    I think every country has suffered from this. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in 2012.
    yea but the english suck at everything, so that would be just too obvious
    Watch your step son.
    Tried watching boxing against today. 2 comments:

I didn't want to be the one to cry conspiracy. It's pretty obvious that scores are inflated based on who is supposed to win. It is almost impossible for an underdog to win. See Justin Horton on the high bar.
    I laughed at the Chinese table tennis coach during the gold medal match, sitting in the stands sending text messages and barely even paying attention to the match. As long as someone from China wins, he doesn't care. If it was two Americans, they'd each have individual coaches helping them out. Seems to be working out for China though, they won all three medals on both the men's and women's side.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevster
    yea but the english suck at everything, so that would be just too obvious
    dude, the British (not just english) will kick the good ol usa's arse at every single sport that includes sitting down!
    Protest by U.S. coach causes popular runner to lose medal
    By Mark Zeigler
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 21, 2008

BEIJING – The Netherlands Antilles is a collection of Caribbean islands just off the coast of Venezuela, with a population of 225,369 and a lone Olympic medal in its history.

That came at the 1988 Summer Games, a silver medal in windsurfing for a man who had moved there from the Netherlands. But that changed yesterday in Beijing, or at least it appeared to, when sprinter Churandy Martina crossed the finish line in second place in the men's 200 meters.

Martina was born on the main island of Curacao, and he was so popular, so revered back home, that he served as the country's Opening Ceremonies flag bearer at the past two Olympics.

“Today, I really feel like a champion,” Martina said moments after finishing second behind Jamaica's Usain Bolt, who won in a world-record time of 19.30 seconds. “Everybody in the whole world is welcome to enjoy and celebrate my silver medal.”

Except that he won't be getting one. U.S. track coaches made sure of that.

An hour after the race, Martina was disqualified after a U.S. protest that has international incident written all over it. It also comes at a time when the U.S. Olympic Committee, lobbying hard for Chicago to host the 2016 Summer Games, has gone to great lengths to restore America's deteriorating image in the international sports community.

“It was something very, very great for an island nation of 200,000 people to get a silver medal in the Olympics,” said Victor Elhage, the head of Netherlands Antilles' delegation in Beijing. “And now? Now it feels like dying.”

Here's what happened:

As the top three finishers – Bolt, Martina and American Wallace Spearmon – were in the midst of their victory lap, the scoreboard at the Bird's Nest stadium flashed that Spearmon had been disqualified for stepping out of his lane on the curve, which theoretically would shorten his distance to the finish line.

“As we were studying the video for Wallace, it was brought to our attention that there may have been a violation in Lane 6,” U.S. men's coach Bubba Thornton said in a statement. “We saw the violation and appealed that result. ... We wanted to make sure that the results of the race were fair.”

Martina was in Lane 6. At the request of U.S. coaches, meet officials re-examined video of the 200 meters and determined that, yes, Martina also had stepped out of his lane. He was disqualified, too.

That bumped American Shawn Crawford from fourth to second and a third American, Walter Dix, into the bronze medal.

The adjusted Olympic medals table:

USA, 82 medals.

Netherlands Antilles, 0.

Sports officials from the Netherlands Antilles were infuriated, less with why Martina was disqualified than how it happened.

“It's against the spirit of the Olympics,” sports minister Omayra Leeflang said. “The spirit of the Olympics is that we come together with fair play, especially a small island such as ours. We compete in righteousness and strength, and straightforward.

“It's a pity for such a big country like the United States to make such a small statement.”

Even Crawford, who benefited the most from the U.S. protest, said he felt uneasy accepting the silver medal.

“It feels kind of weird, like a charity case,” Crawford told reporters. “I'm always going to know that I finished fourth.”

It was the second time U.S. coaches have filed a track protest this week. On Sunday, they protested the women's 100 meters after Jamaica swept the medals, claiming American Torri Edwards had false-started and that the runners should have been called back.

There is only one way to remedy such a protest – by rerunning the race – and several members of the Jamaican delegation privately interpreted it as sour grapes for being kept off the medals podium. Even worse, the medals ceremony had to be postponed to the next day while waiting for a decision on the protest, which ultimately went against the Americans.

Over the past few years, USOC Chairman Peter Ueberroth has worked tirelessly to repair increasing evidence of anti-American sentiment within the Olympic community. For the first time in recent memory, no Americans hold important positions within the International Olympic Committee, and softball and baseball – two wholly American sports – were voted out of the 2012 Summer Games.

The USOC formed an international relations division in Irvine and, in the spirit of global good will, funded athletes from developing countries to live and train at its training centers. Assane Fall, a kayaker from Senegal, was based at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista for more than a year, living in the dorms, eating in the cafeteria, training under U.S. coaches.

In Beijing, USOC leadership had been conspicuously gracious toward its Chinese hosts and the IOC.

It apologized profusely when U.S. cyclists walked off the plane wearing carbon-fiber masks because of the Beijing smog, even though a USOC sports physiologist reportedly had recommended that they wear them. It refused to get involved amid reports that Chinese gymnasts were underage, or when U.S. weightlifter Casey Burgener was denied an Olympic spot under questionable circumstances.

There is no telling what sort of damage, if any, the Netherlands Antilles incident will have. But the appearance of a country of 300 million people denying a medal to a country of 225,369 might not sit well in an IOC filled with members from equally diminutive and remote locales.

“IOC members have long memories,” Bob Ctvrtlik, an American IOC member who oversees the U.S. Olympic Committee's international relations division, said two years ago. “I think they realize we've made dramatic changes in our leadership and our actions, but once in a while with individual members, things rear their head.”

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Of course I'm fucking pissed.

It is also said, that none of the videos the comitte had showed any transgression.

Only one hand delivered by none other than the NBC itself. The NBC, whose olympic transmission is "not available in your area".

O and please Usain, please, be very very extremely careful about what you eat and drink in the next following days/weeks/months. Please.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    seemed pretty clear that the dude stepped on the line
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDXazhw1Jg
    hahaha, that guy wasnt happy!
    Is anyone watching the gold medal basketball game? I haven't seen D Wade play like this in a long time.
    yea, it's like he's healthy and doesn't have 2-3 injuries holding him back!
    I think he's just excited about charles putting him in his fave five.
    ummm u.s. volleyball kicks ass.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDXazhw1Jg
    This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party.

God looking at medal results tilt me

Yes we earned 10 more medals than China but they earned like 15+ more golds.

Also, the Chinese won 27 gold medals in judged events. Compare this to the U.S. total of 4 gold medals in judged events and you have to believe there is a huge bias based on home country.

I also looked at the type of events China won all their medals in and concluded they just loop-holed their way to the top spot in terms of gold.

If I think about the summer olympics, here are the sports that matter most to me:

1. Basketball
    2. Baseball/softball
    3. Track and field
    4. Swimming/diving
    5. Gymnastics
    6. Volleyball (higher up the list now but this was before I watched a lot of it)
    7. Soccer

Looking at just these sports the U.S. obviously dominated China. However, adding in Judo, table tennis, archery, taekwondo, weightlifting, and badminton sets China over the hump.
    Baseball is a shitty Olympic sport (and I'm glad they are getting rid of it). None of the best players play like with basketball. They also have some terribad rule where in extra innings, you get to start the inning with a guy at 2nd base. wtf

But yeah, there's obviously a huge bias for the home country in judged events.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBobAA
    They also have some terribad rule where in extra innings, you get to start the inning with a guy at 2nd base. wtf
    Seriously???
    Cant wait for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.
    The true test of judging would be a summer Olympics in Canada.
    The true test of judging would be a summer Olympics in Canada.
    Canada would judge its own athletes harder than those from other countries because it would be the nice thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue
    Canada would judge its own athletes the same as those from other countries because it would be the right thing to do.
    IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrman
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue
    Canada would judge its own athletes the same as those from other countries because it would be the right thing to do.
    IMO.
    wesrman
    WPP: 107

See what I mean?
    {moved from commune}

your kidding right??

i worked on that show.