Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

2nl Snap ReRaise OTR with 2nd Nut Flush

Default 2nl Snap ReRaise OTR with 2nd Nut Flush

I have to be honest and say I wasn't expecting Full House. I haven't had enough spots like this to make me cautious when there is two of a kind on the board. I was simply raising hoping not to see a nut flush.

On review, I think that I wouldn't have put them on a set anyway. Villain didn't raise OTF and checked the turn, so even though it's not impossible that they don't have a set, it is also possible that a player like this will call my raise OTR with any flush, straight and maybe even stuff like two pair and TPTK.

So calling OTR is certainly +EV but also I think I'm getting more value by raising, even if I'm only including Quads, Boats and Flushes in their range (just!).

So, lesson is to be aware of FH but I'm putting this down as a cooler. What do you think?

888 Poker - $0.02 NL (6 max) FAST - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): $2.62
    SB: $3.31
    BB: $2.08
    UTG: $2.26
    MP: $0.84 (20/12/1)
    CO: $2.63

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has J K

UTG calls $0.02, fold, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, SB calls $0.09, fold, UTG calls $0.08, fold

Flop: ($0.34, 3 players) 8 7 T
    SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25

Turn: ($1.09, 3 players) 7
    SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.09, 3 players) 2
    SB checks, UTG bets $1.09, Hero raises to $2.27, fold, UTG calls $0.82

Hero shows J K (Flush, King High)
    (Pre 46%, Flop 18%, Turn 0%)
    UTG shows 8 8 (Full House, Eights full of Sevens)
    (Pre 54%, Flop 82%, Turn 100%)
    UTG wins $4.61
    Last edited by DJAbacus; 03-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    STOP POSTING RESULTS!

On review, I think that I wouldn't have put them on a set anyway. Villain didn't raise OTF and checked the turn, so even though it's not impossible that they don't have a set, it is also possible that a player like this will call my raise OTR with any flush, straight and maybe even stuff like two pair and TPTK.
    Congeal this into ranges, man.

As for the rest, I find it hard to find a line where you don't lose a bit.
    In general, I'd say you shouldn't be so willing to lose your stack with 2nd nut flush on a paired board.

That said, I don't know why you're betting OTF, much less why you're betting so much. You have gutshot + 2 overs. When the gutshot hits, your hand is going to be playing face up, and you will have the 2nd nut straight. It's not an awesome hand to re-open the betting into 2 villains. A reasonable hand to take a free card IP.
    Wet flop should be a check back at 2nl imo with a hand with decent equity (which we waste if check raised). We should really only be betting for value at 2nl on this flop texture multiway, as we have low fold equity, plus it doesn't matter about not having bluff combos as nobody will exploit it massively.

River is a fold for sure. Nobody at the micros is bluffing or value betting in this spot on this board texture with worse, let alone mashing the pot button.
    Agree should check back OTF.

2nd but flush clearly not as good as it first seemed. I think you could happily fold or call OTR. There are some pretty random players out there but pot bet is definitely a tell that hand is strong.

Thanks for feedback.
    This would be an awful river raise even if the board wasn't paired. There's two others in the pot... how often do you think we're good at showdown when called? I'll give you a clue... somewhere between never and rarely.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    So, lesson is to be aware of FH but I'm putting this down as a cooler. What do you think?
    No. This is fish thought process. omg my flush lost, cooler. Actually it's down to fucking awful river play on your part. Recognise it for what it is, and improve. If you just call it a cooler, then what do you learn? Very little. It's not a cooler because it's entirely avoidable.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    when a villain calls pre , and check call flop and turn then donks river pot ( or shoves) THEY HAVE THE NUTS. just recognize this betting pattern and save yourself a fortune over the rest of your poker career.
    Yeah, you need to play this hand more straight forward. If you were playing 25 or 50nl, I'd barrel the flop AND the turn or neither, but here you make most of your value being TAG preflop. You can't outplay someone who's already played themselves out, but you can play them back in.
    Cbetting this flop is ok IF you plan to barrel on a lot of runouts. There are too many pair+gutter type hands that will peel a flop for your plan to be betting and giving up.

As for the river, this is a very clear call. Just because you beat a lot of his potential betting range, doesn't mean raising is a good idea. You will rarely get called by worse. This is especially true after he bets pot and is SUPER polarized on this kind of board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks