Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

ak utg vs raise in CO - 1 2.5X 10 person 20 bi

Default ak utg vs raise in CO - 1 2.5X 10 person 20 bi

I've been wondering what is the correct play in this situation.

Early in a tourney so i have no real reads on the villain. I raise UTG 4X to 160 everyone folds to CO - 1 who makes it 400. exactly 2.5X my raise.

In the past I've stuck it in this spot but mainly run into AA or KK. Is this a fold? I'm out of position, I hate calling here.
    Personally i fold...
    I'd prolly call, and hope he doesn't have AA. You can get away from non A/K high flops pretty easily, and I'd prolly lose all my money if an A comes out and he's got rockets. I see this move with crap like 55-88 just as much as AA and KK, so I wouldn't assume he's got you dominated. You may even have him dominated.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Quote Originally Posted by Illfavor
    I'd prolly call, and hope he doesn't have AA. You can get away from non A/K high flops pretty easily, and I'd prolly lose all my money if an A comes out and he's got rockets. I see this move with crap like 55-88 just as much as AA and KK, so I wouldn't assume he's got you dominated. You may even have him dominated.
    I would never call in this spot for more than 25% of our stack when we are OOP postflop. Say no A or K comes on the flop, you will be c/fing the best hand quite a bit to opp's c-bets. I would either shove over or fold preflop depending on reads.

Oh and OP, I would make it 120-140 preflop rather than 160. It can save you quite a lot of chips since the pot size grows exponentially on each subsequent street, and they will call/fold exactly the same hands to the smaller raise as the larger one.
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan168
    I would never call in this spot for more than 25% of our stack when we are OOP postflop. Say no A or K comes on the flop, you will be c/fing the best hand quite a bit to opp's c-bets. I would either shove over or fold preflop depending on reads.
    Tai > me.
    Ich grolle nicht...