Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

How often do people call w/bottom pair at 0.10/0.25??

Default How often do people call w/bottom pair at 0.10/0.25??

At the time I believed they had the queen, but the turn bet was quite weak (Opponent had bet similarly with a marginal hand previously). I thought I could push them off bottom pair, but they saw right through it.

Should I have seen that I was getting called for sure, or was I right to bet the river?
    Thoughts, suggestions etc.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from flopturnriver.com - Poker Strategy Forum | Online Texas Holdem Reviews Strategies Tools & Bonus Guide

Button ($27.34)
    SB ($15.12)
    Hero (BB) ($33.34)
    UTG ($32.46)
    MP ($25.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Jc, Ks
    3 folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero bets $0.75, SB calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.50) 2h, Qc, 3d (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.50) 10d (2 players)
    SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

River: ($2.50) 8d (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $1.70, SB calls $1.70

Total pot: $5.90

Results:
    SB had 9s, 3c (one pair, threes).
    Hero had Jc, Ks (high card, King).
    Outcome: SB wins the pot ($5.90) with a pair of threes.

------
    Not sure why the conversion messed up, but it did the same thing again so I decided to just correct it manually. Seemed to be just the last line/outcome that was faulty :-S
    Last edited by poker_profiteer; 05-18-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Conversion didn't work.
    Profiting from Poker takes tremendous skill - Profiting from poker without playing a hand is easy.
    Looks to me that you messed up the conversion. Try again!
    Virginity is like a bubble: one prick and it's all gone
    Ignoranus (n): A person who is stupid AND an assh*le
    Your river-bet is too weak, he's got like 4.5 to 1 pot odds if he calls. But yeah he's a feesh, you should just take note of it and bet him for value when you have an actual hand in the river. If you don't know the probability of him folding to the river bet, then you might as well check behind if you're not willing to bet at least 75% of the pot, it's not gonna be +EV.

I think the answer to your question is in his hole cards. He called your 3x raise OOP with 93o, and checked the flop, only to make a very weak bet of around a 3rd of the pot. If you have a HUD, he probably has a VP$IP of like 80
    give reads other than the stakes
    dont get me wrong, but if i were you i would move down in stakes
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    Nope, gotta move up where they respect his raises.

Srsly: The pf 3bet IP is ok, not great but ok-if you have a plan for the rest of the hand.
    This flop is sick for a c-bet and when you just check you turn your hand face up- overcards that missed
    I'd be thinking that you had AK, AJ, KJ or maybe a mid pp and maybe a slowplayed set.
    When you don't raise the turn then you're saying that you don't have the set and I'm gonna call the river with any reasonable holding.

The object is to make your opponent miss read your hand and make mistakes, not to tell them what you're holding.

Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    i'll never understand how anyone can go through life being sober.
    well, i wouldnt be in the hand with 93, but if i'd taken your villains line..

you look like ace high at best, call turn is very weak. all your middle pairs have showdown value and would check behind, your bet on the river is weak.. i would call with any pair and probably consider raising you with air. If you turn over a runner runner flush then too bad, but honestly, that would bet the river bigger anyway so you dont have that.
    C-bet this flop then barrel this turn - ez game. Probably move down and play some 2NL and learn the game to be honest.
    Why are people saying this river bet is weak? Has he edited his post? I make it $1.70 into $2.50, which seems a good size.

Raise pre is fine bvb, bet flop, bet turn, bet river, make notes when he calls down 93o and don't bluff him again. Right click his name, see if he's playing any more tables, if so, try and sit in position on him, and value bet this fucking idiot to town.

As played, once you've checked the flop, there's no point bluffing. Betting the turn is ok since we have decent equity, but he calls and we miss, so just check behind and laugh at him when he flips his hand over.

And yes, step down before it's too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Thank-you everyone for the fantastic advice; I feel like i've learned more from reading this post than I have from playing many hours of poker

I definitely took notes on him after seeing that hand.
    Looking at this hand and having this kind of info/insight given makes me wonder why I didn't c-bet; I was probably playing scared, otherwise I can't see why I did it :-S

As suggested by a few I didn't stay at this level for very long - I was only playing it because I wanted to see if I could handle it - Normally I do play at much lower levels, even though $0.10/$0.25 isn't a huge level, $2nl is more my place (I can actually profit there, just not bluff as much)

This was a great table to get my feet wet at higher levels - I think I'll keep posting and lurk around, learn a lot more then resume my playing. For the next few weeks work is keeping me from really sitting down and playing properly, so I'd rather learn than try to squeeze a few hands in here and there (because they'd be rushed/not enough time to think properly about them).

The biggest problem that I feel I face in poker (at any levels) is not knowing when to c-bet or check, so I'll keep re-reading this and other posts until it starts to sink in and I have more of an idea about what to do in certain scenarios (and I'll also apply it to my play, nothing like jumping right in).

Thanks again everyone, and if somebody has another opinion to offer feel free to comment also.
    Profiting from Poker takes tremendous skill - Profiting from poker without playing a hand is easy.
    Check out the BC digest, there's a ton of great information in there. Also, check out this post by RPM:
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ds-186705.html

Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    i'll never understand how anyone can go through life being sober.