Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Range Exercise for deep thinkers.

Default Range Exercise for deep thinkers.

Villain is good TAG. Hero is a good LAG. And I do mean good, they are both high level thinkers considering both their opponents range and how their opponent perceives their own range.

Short Handed, $1BB.

Player A is at seat 0 with $42.67
    Villain is at seat 3 with $119.48
    Player B is at seat 5 with $116.35.
    Player C is at seat 6 with $84.00
    Hero is at seat 7 with $171.87
    The button is at seat 5.

Preflop: Hero is BB with - ?
    UTG Folds, Villain raises to $3.50, Button folds, SB folds, BB (Hero) calls

Flop: ($7.50)
    Hero checks. Villain bets $5. Hero calls.

Turn: ($17.50)
    Hero bets $17. Villain calls.

River: ($51.50)
    Hero goes all-in for $145.87. Villain?

_______

1. Place hero on a range for all streets.
    2. Place villain on a range for all streets.
    3. Tell me if villain calls
    4. If villain calls who wins? This can be expressed as who has the strongest range rather than an exact result. Or an exact result if you think your that good.

When placing each player on said range I want backed up reasoning that considers each players perspective of both the players ranges.
    Last edited by scott_owen; 05-05-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Preflop:
    Villain raises 67s+, 79s+, 22+, broadways, Axs, A9o
    somewhat standard CO open range
    Hero calls 22-JJ, 67s-kqs, T8s, J9s, QTs, QJ, KJ, KQ, ATs, AJ, AQ
    Little bit wider PF flatting range due to slightly bigger stack sizes. Not sure about Axs here.

Flop:
    Villain c bets extremely polarized range weighted towards bluffs to counteract the narrow calling range hero will have on this flop. 44-99 will be in hero's folding range which allows hero's bluffing range to include hands with marginal showdown value. hence villain's range has:
    Value: 33, TT, KK, AA, KT, KJ, KQ, AK, QQ, JJ.
    Bluff: Axs, AJ, AQ, QJ, 67s-89s, J9s, 79s, A9o

Hero's calling range is very narrow as it will be difficult to continue to turn barrels.
    JJ, 33, TT, KTs, KJ, KQ, QJ, JTs, QTs, 8Ts, 9Ts, ATs, and maybe some random BDFDs as well as AJ, AQ, and J9s hero calls in order to merge some bluffs into his turn donking range.

Turn:
    Hero's range here depends alot on how he views villain's barreling tendencies, but I'll guess its something like:
    33, TT, KTs, QJ, KQ, KJ and maybe some J9s, AJ, and AQ and random BDFDs. Hero won't be betting his mid strength hands on this turn because he knows Villain will have a narrow continuing range against a donk here. It is difficult for our hero to exploit this tendency; however, because there are few hands in his range he can bluff here. Hero may turn some of the Tens in his range into bluffs here.

Villain's calling range is AA, 33, TT, KK, KTs, AK, KQ, KJ, and QJ. No point in raising the top of his range here as hero will just continue with a very narrow range of sets and two pair.

River:
    Hero shoves QJ, 33, TT, and some bluffs. This is a good river to bluff for hero as he knows villain has alot of kings and very few aces in his range, and he may be able to credibly rep AQ and AJ, but bet sizing makes no sense for these hands.

Villain calls with 33, TT, KK, QJ, and AA. I would assume he would fold to this bet most of the time, but from the way you phrased your question that is not the case.

Definitely feel alot of these ranges are going to be way off and that this is a great great way for beginners like me to learn. Great idea, and please comment.
    good start, I will hold my comments until there are some more ideas put forward, and because I have more information about the players sharing would defeat the exercise.

I will say that you may be able to narrow your ranges by working through each of the hands you've placed in their preflop range and considering what you believe to be the best line for each of them. Remember we're dealing with solid players. While each of the hands you've listed could play this way, this line may not have been their best option.

take each nut vs bluff vs light value and look at how a tag or lag might either look to force a fold or look to extract value based on the tendencies of his opponent.
    Firstly, I assume u meant Villain is CO with - ? rather than Hero who is in BB?

So pre-flop -

Villain being TAG I'd say raises with be 78+, QTs+, KT+, and any pp.
    Hero being LAG calls with 67s-KQs, T8s-KJs, 22-99, A10s, AJ, AQ. I will add in TT-AA in case he is trying to be tricky by flatting instead of raising but without more info it's hard to tell.

Flop -
    Villain is AA-TT, 33, AK, KQ, K10, QJ, AQ, AJ
    Hero is 33, TT-AA, QJ, KQ, KJ, KT, JT, QT

Turn - Here's where I get super confused! lol But I'll give it a shot.
    Hero is 33, TT, QQ, KK, AA, KT, QJ being LAG he may have floated the flop and hit lucky with pocket 5's so I'll chuck that in too.(admittedly pretty unlikely)
    Villian is 33, TT, KK, AA, KT. I guess QJ is possible but he wouldn't have the odds to call and would only be doing so because of Hero's LAG image.

River -
    Hero appears to make massive over bet. I'm thinking he is likely trying to use his LAG image to appear to be making the huge bluff whilst holding the nuts. Most likely hand is QJ. Probably could make this move with 33, 55, TT, KK, AA though against a good TAG it is unlikely with the straight on the board.
    Villain is calling with 33, TT, KK, AA, QJ

My prediction is Hero has QJ and takes the pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by PKKFW View Post
    Firstly, I assume u meant Villain is CO with - ? rather than Hero who is in BB?
    more likely I meant "Hero is in BB with - ?" will edit OP. good spot.

My prediction is Hero has QJ and takes the pot.
    Are you predicting that Hero takes it down because villain folds or because villain calls with the weaker hand?
    Last edited by scott_owen; 05-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_owen View Post
    Are you predicting that Hero takes it down because villain folds or because villain calls with the weaker hand?
    I'm thinking the most likely hands for Villain are TT, KK, AA and he would call with any of those.

So prediction is Villain calls, probably with KK for top set on flop and turn which is why he doesn't raise on turn, preferring instead to let LAG hero have a chance to bluff the river. He probably doesn't like the A giving the possible straight but against a LAG and with the way the hand has played I think he calls and loses.
    Quote Originally Posted by PolpravHalf View Post
    Çäðàñòâóéòå)
    Íå æåëàåòå îáìåíÿòüñÿ ññûëêàìè?
    It depends.
    LOL OPERATIONS