Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Playing a set - fresh table

Default Playing a set - fresh table

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: hlacheen is CO with T, T.
    UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, hlacheen 3-bets, 3 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A, T, 6 (3 players)
    UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, hlacheen calls, UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, hlacheen 3-bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) Q (3 players)
    UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, hlacheen bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 5 (3 players)
    UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, hlacheen raises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

Did I play the set correctly? The fact that neither capped PF makes it safe to assume neither had AA?
    PSU Class of 2011 weeeeeeee!
    I think it's likely UTG has AK or AQ, more likely AK since he doesn't seem too scared on the flop after getting three bet preflop. I'd call this flop, he'll bet out on the turn, UTG will call, and then you can raise to get both of them for another bet. Stop and go on a set isn't always the best idea, but you aren't going to get anyone to fold on the flop anyway. Even if someone hits a straight on the turn you still have up to 10 outs. (Although it's more likely you have only 8 or so.)
    nh
    You have position and the best hand, I'd wait until the turn to pop them. It's very unlikely either of them has KJ/KQ/QJ for a gutshot, so you're up against at most 2 outs (if one has KK/QQ/JJ and spikes a set on the turn).

Also, UTG just check-raised this flop, which probably means AK, maybe AT. He'll lead the turn if you don't call/raise the flop like you did. That way you can trap UTG+1 for an extra bet or two as well.
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    Yeah, to anyone who is paying attention, your flop play shows a lot of strength ... check/call/reraise after an opponent's raise. This line will slow most players down and makes it harder to get more bets on the later streets.
    The board isn't horribly coordinated it wouldn't be a bad idea to smooth call the flop and hit it on the turn... also any draw like KQ,KJ,QJ is not going to fold to a 3 bet as well given the field has already put 2 bets in by time you 3bet...

I think the extra 1 bb from the 2 players you gain here by a 3 bet is worth a lot less then the extra 2bb on the turn you gain assuming you don't run into a straight and that's about 80% of the time... maybe more I’m guessing... I play the odds risk it and wait for the turn to pop it up...

at a level like 0.5/1 they still pay you off well if you wait for the turn... you start getting paid off less up around 3/6 when you make the turn line because literly all the taggs know that line, some of the really bad player will pay you off but you will probably narrow the feild to HU by then...
    “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean ~

"Poker is a lot like sex, peoples perceived ability usually blinds the truth" ~ me ~

"God bless him. Got to bet big to win big! GAMB00L!!!" ~ Fnord
    So if I smooth called the flop I probably would have been able to get at least an extra BB or 2 out of them?
    PSU Class of 2011 weeeeeeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    So if I smooth called the flop I probably would have been able to get at least an extra BB or 2 out of them?
    That seems to be the consensus. Let UTG think his TP is still good. If he leads the turn, you likely get an extra BB out of both of them when you raise.
    Yeah, either way works fine but the way you played wasn't so bad either.

Check out my videos at Grinderschool.com

More Full Ring NLHE Cash videos than ANY other poker training site. Training starts at $10/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by elipsesjeff
    Yeah, either way works fine but the way you played wasn't so bad either.
    Mainly because UTG was dumb enough to donk the river and get raised
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchopdc
    Lets stop talking ABC poker and move on to D, E, and F.