Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

CBet V No Cbet

Default CBet V No Cbet

Just going to post some hands here and hopefully get some advice on whether my thinking is correct when thinking about cbets. Will also help me examine my ranges in spots and should point out any glaring flaws I have in my ranges.

Hopefully will get quite a few hands posted in this thread eventually.

Hand 1
    Spoiler:

Table is loose passive.

My opening range from MP looks something like

55+, A8s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs+, T9s+, ATo+, KJo+, QJo+

This is 14.8%, 196 combos

Stacks:
    UTG ImSavy ($2) 100bb
    CO Player3 ($4.68) 234bb
    BTN Player4 ($0.22) 11bb
    SB Player5 ($2.69) 135bb
    BB Player6 ($4.57) 229bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 5 players) ImSavy is UTG
    ImSavy raises to $0.06, Player3 calls $0.06, 3 folds

Standard raise size is 3bb, on a table like this I think I should maybe up this to 4bb as my range in spots like this is going to be value heavy.

Villain is 43/5/4.8 (42 hands), positionally unaware and has called 3/3cbets.

SPR = 12.93

Flop: ($0.15, 2 players)
    ImSavy ?

As villain is loose passive and is calling a very high % of cbets and not attacking our checking range, I think my cbet range should be heavily weighted towards value whilst checking all my weaker hands. There is nothing to suggest he will attempt to exploit this strategy.

As our SPR = 13 this would allow us 3 pot sized bets.

After blockers on the flop we have a possible 186c (15.82% possible hands)

Value betting all Ad9d+ (5), AdJ+ (9), A8s (3), 55+ (51), T9s (4), JdTd (1), KdTd+ (3), AK (12), QdTd+ (2)

This is 90/186 which is just over 48% which I think I should be betting the pot with.

This leaves me checking a lot of overcards which still have value if they hit the turn/river.

Last edited by Savy; 06-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    I'm confused, how is betting JTs here a value bet?
    I'm so lost, where are your 98s type hands for top pair that you should definitely be betting? 44? 87s? Also you mention checking behind, but you're first to act? edit: i see you're folding these hands pf, which im not sure i would do but i guess that's fine? i personally play a bit wider.
    Last edited by eugmac; 06-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    I'm confused, how is betting JTs here a value bet?
    Fixed, meant JTd

Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    I'm so lost, where are your 98s type hands for top pair that you should definitely be betting? 44? 87s? Also you mention checking behind, but you're first to act? edit: i see you're folding these hands pf, which im not sure i would do but i guess that's fine? i personally play a bit wider.
    Fixed, just meant check.

My opening range is probably a bit tight and I'm going to work on widening it.
    If your planning on widening your opening range from MP you should consider opening all suited A's and suited connectors. I would consider c-betting less than this vs this opponent if he's calling tonnes of c-bets. I'd only be betting strong made hands and big draws without any idea of how he plays on later streets i.e whether he's intent on looking you up at showdown with 2nd or 3rd pair for example. It would be a good idea to look at villains pre-flop range vs his continuing range on the flop to get an estimate of how often he's folding.

Edit - Another thing to consider when contemplating making a c-bet is the board texture and the likelihood villain will raise your bet, things i would think about would be; How likely is it that villain will be raising his top pair hands to protect them from draws, and how often will villain be raising a semi-bluff on this board?
    Last edited by seven-deuce; 06-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Erín Go Bragh
    I don't like playing suited connectors against villains like this. On the majority of flops 87s is just 8-high, which is terrible if you're playing against an opponent who is unlikely to fold. And even if you flop a flush draw, you might be drawing to the second best hand since this type of villain gets a 43% vpip by playing hands like Kxs and Qxs.

As for cbetting all your draws, what is your plan on the turn when you miss?
    Quote Originally Posted by seven-deuce View Post
    Edit - Another thing to consider when contemplating making a c-bet is the board texture and the likelihood villain will raise your bet, things i would think about would be; How likely is it that villain will be raising his top pair hands to protect them from draws, and how often will villain be raising a semi-bluff on this board?
    I did think about things like that, he never is.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbrack View Post
    I don't like playing suited connectors against villains like this. On the majority of flops 87s is just 8-high, which is terrible if you're playing against an opponent who is unlikely to fold. And even if you flop a flush draw, you might be drawing to the second best hand since this type of villain gets a 43% vpip by playing hands like Kxs and Qxs.

If I completely miss the board I can quite happily check and expect this person to check too.
    with overcards + nut FD OOP HU it's a default Cbet, ur either ahead, or have many outs or ur waiting for a passive villain to do your job?
    If things were to magically revert to January 1st, 2003, only I could take everything I know now in terms of poker ability/knowledge, bonus clearing, etc., I think it's safe to say that it would be trivially easy to make over a million dollars.
    Excellent analysis. You're going to love my article this week since it fits this hand perfectly.

Also, 4x pre-flop as a standard because of the heavy rake. There is no good reason to just 3x pre-flop in these games (meaning games with this big of a rake) unless your opponents give you a specific one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbrack View Post

On a majority of flops, AK is just A-high.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    On a majority of flops, AK is just A-high.
    True, but AK is at least ahead of unimproved Ax, Kx, Qx, Jx, etc. (and there should be plenty of these type of hands in a 43% vpip player's range). Plus AK always flops either top pair+ or two overcards. 87s often doesn't even have one overcard.

I do like Savy's point about a cbet on the flop being a ticket to see the river against passive players like this. That makes betting draws a lot better (since you can often see two cards for one price). So, yeah, I would cbet 87s if it flopped a draw. But most of the time it will miss the flop all together. At that point I have to either give up (since even unimproved Qxs hands are crushing me) or try to bluff an opponent who doesn't want to fold, which leaves me to wonder why I would want to play 87s against this opponent (OOP no less) in the first place. At least ATs has high card value when it misses the flop.