Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

River bottom set on wet board

Default River bottom set on wet board

Villain is vaguely competent, a little FPSy and has generally tried to not get involved with me. Likes playing big pots.

He opens UTG+1 we both have around $300.

Folds to me on BTN I call with :6h everyone else folds.

Flop ($20):
    He checks, I check

Turn ($20):
    He checks, I check

River ($20):
    He bets $12, I make it $35, he raises to $150
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    It's basically an exact chop in equity (50.00%) if you put him on { KK+, TT, AKs, AKo } at the river raise. Given the dead money, it's a call.

Depending on what you put him to open UTG+1, there could be { ATs, KTs } in there, which you are crushing.

It's tough to put him on QJ, due to lack of semi-bluffing OTF, or betting for value OTT. If you disagree with this analysis, then QJs is in his river range, too, which drops your equity, obv.

"A little FPSy" makes me want to call this a bit more than the 50% equity, since I assume it means his range is wider than that range.
    Given his sizing and how unlikely it is for us to have any hand better than 76s, I'm assuming he's trying to get us to fold, but lol river 3! bluffs at 1/2 and we're getting a terrible price.

I'm sure you already know all this and was hoping for someone to solve this enigma for you, but I think both theories (that this is a FoS arms race or that he's making up value with his extremely thin nuts range) are equally viable. While it's super dooper rare that anyone at this level spazzes like this, if there's any kind of read/tell/dynamic that might make me think otherwise, a call could *maybe* be in order. Kinda feels like a, "You'd know better than any of us would" type of spot.

"Vaguely competent, a little FPSy" can refer to a lot of different kinds of players. I feel like if I could see his face and watch him play for a few orbits, I'd know exactly what you mean and have a better feel for how likely he is to play 98 passively, go for two x/r's w QJcc or ever in a million years run a bluff here. Maybe some more specific info about how he plays. Is he the type who plays way too many hands from all positions and relies on his postflop competence and FPS to bail him out? Is he a vaguely TAGish 2p2 wannabe who convinces himself to do a lot of weird stuff? Etc.
    yeah it's hard for me to describe him well because I don't quite have a handle on him. I've played with him two times in games where I came in late and he had a stack (250+ bbs) and would both open limp and raise varying sizes ($7-$20) with varying hands. When he limped he would ALWAYS fold to my ISOs and we rarely played pots. He's not in a ton of showdowns and is definitely using initiative and feeling for weakness to make moves.

He's mid-20s, Caribbean or African, wears headphones and sometimes watches movies on his macbook while playing, and everyone calls him "Jazz." I told 2 people who know him better about the hand...one guy stopped me midway through and said, "Wait, let me guess, he makes it $150 on the river. Hell yes I'm calling!" the other one said, "tough one,he's tricky." The first guy is a better player than the second.

Of course I didn't know all this stuff about him and didn't have really significant history before this hand.
    I think I need to add the disclaimer to all my HHs that people apparently hate my face, never think I have an actual hand, and do spazzy things for no apparent reason.
    Holy hell, everything about that makes this a call lol.

Obviously we didn't know the best info beforehand (that he makes it $150 on the river a lot with questionable holdings), but there's still enough in all the other stuff to make me call ... and honestly, I feel good enough about it that I'm the first to show my hand.

By the way, the fact that an FPSy Carribean 20-something named Jazz ran this play against someone who's perceived as super aggro also makes it more likely that he did this with value hands, including QJcc and KK. I don't expect him to do this with 98. I don't shove because I think it's a bit far-fetched on many levels to see him doing this with AK.
    Last edited by surviva316; 11-08-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    yeah maybe I was nitrolling.

He had a pretty lol hand. K7ss
    Jazzes gonna Jazz.
    Meh, hero just looks so FOS on the river that I can't fold against a villain with these characteristics. Villain must know that he looks FOS with his line too, so I think there's enough dick waving in there to make it a call. More so given the sizing.

Do you have anything other than 66 in this spot when you take this line?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Meh, hero just looks so FOS on the river that I can't fold against a villain with these characteristics. Villain must know that he looks FOS with his line too, so I think there's enough dick waving in there to make it a call. More so given the sizing.

Do you have anything other than 66 in this spot when you take this line?
    I'd give myself 2 combos of 98s, because I think at least half the time I'd bet it somewhere. Although sometimes my spidey senses are working well and I check back to realize my equity for free.
    Given the likelihood that he's trying to rep slow played KK/AA (even though I doubt he'd check twice), I think I'm sigh snapping this off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks