Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

People chatting in foreign languages

Default People chatting in foreign languages

Just wondering on opinions. I was just at a table where people were conversing in chat in Russian and Danish. Obviously I can't understand this and often there were people chatting who were in the same hands together. I have no idea if collusion was going on.

I reported it to online support, but what is the general consensus on this? Legal? I have no idea what they are saying but if I'm chatting in English others may have no idea what I'm saying either.
    lol omg wtf is this thread.

did you really report people for not speaking english?
    Of course I did. When you sit down at a table (at least on this site) it tells you straight up chat is to be in English only. How do I know those guys aren't talking about their hands to each other?
    Noone colludes at 1NL ffs.
    whilst a little petty, dude does have a point
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    At many sites (PokerStars for example) this is against the rules and you can call a moderator.
    I guess what set me off is that I asked them to stop and they told me to STFU - in English. And then proceeded to keep chatting in whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    lmao, +1
    As spoon said, most sites only allow english chat. Check the rules for your site.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    lmao, +1
    Sorry to you guys who are high rolling at 5NL.
    5 spades
    typing "><>" in the chatbox usually switches them over to English
    If they were going to collude there are other ways to chat than actually using the chatbox so nobody catches on. The only reason to report them would be to either tilt them or have them leave if your afraid they are going to take a fish's money. I would report them to gain an advantage but no way do I worry about collusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpe
    typing "><>" in the chatbox usually switches them over to English
    I've seen that ><> thing a few times now, but I don't understand what it means?
    it's international sign language
    For what though? What does it stand for? lol
    <(((><
    just look at it for a while and then let us know when you feel retarded
    Yep, already there. Surviva came into IRC and basically called me out on it and spoon explained what it was lol. God i phail.
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy
    I guess what set me off is that I asked them to stop and they told me to STFU - in English. And then proceeded to keep chatting in whatever.
    I love how, 1., you actually asked them to stop and 2., you're then offended that they didn't tell you to STFU in a language you can't understand.

As has been pointed out, there are much more efficient methods of collusion than "mwahah ponyboy hat gar keine ahnung, dass ich Jc4s habe".

As has also been pointed out, you can call a moderator, which I've done once - although for rude language, not for foreign language - when the guy in question was berating my fish's play. That, or you want the guy in question's seat, are really the only reasons I can see for getting him kicked out, mostly people who're having friendly chats about the weather in the chatbox are pretty bad.

This thread's pretty lol though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark
    mwahah ponyboy hat gar keine ahnung, dass ich Jc4s habe
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLF!!!!!
    Perfectly acceptable to report them if its against the sites rules. As stated on Stars at least its against their rules to speak any language except English at the tables. Think how you'd feel playing live if two players were speaking in another language together.

Very unlikely to be collusion, but if you have an issue, report them.
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    1) collusion using chatbox would be beyond retarded

2) dont look at chat--no reason to chat or look at chat unless playing private with friends
    I finally figured out my problem, my logic is flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStrangeShove
    2) dont look at chat--no reason to chat or look at chat unless playing private with friends
    nooooooooo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash256
    nooooooooo
    Yea this, chat is information. Use the information but don't "chat"
    Right. Chat is meant as "Chat". I should have clarified.
    Right. Chat is meant as "Chat". I should have clarified.
    Nothing wrong with saying "nice hand" after someone lays a bad beat or cooler on you, though.
    I talk about the weather all the time with fish, and say things like "ouch bad luck" when someone beats them righteously. They just want to be loved.
    i tell people to hurry the fuck up when they tank/fold pf to a 3xbb open
    Lol <3 surviva
    Exactly. When you chat something like, "hey, I hear the weather is nice in San Diego", "nh", or my favorite "srry" (wtf?), you also open yourself to saying stuff like, "why didnt you just let me steal your blinds with that bullshit 37s you fuckin' lucky cock suckin' station donk". Or maybe thats just me.
    Thats just you.
    I've reported Stacks and Dranger for flooding the chat box.

And I report Eurotrash all the time. It's fun.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    BooG the Buzzkill imo.