Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

ARCHIVE: Loose table strategy changes

Default ARCHIVE: Loose table strategy changes

Joel
    IP: Logged
    Loose table strategy changes? [post #1]

I played some low limit holdem this weekend at a really loose table with really bad players, these guys called or raised everything even when they didn't have cards. As a result, the pots were really large , but with so many players staying in, someone often got lucky and took the pot . It's kinda like you said with the pocket aces, if everyone stays in, most likely someone will beat ya.

Do you recommend playing any tighter or looser in this situation??

I was inclined to play a little bit tighter, didn't win/play as often, but when I had the cards, I won a big pot.

Nov 15, 2003 at 09:56 AM Quote Print

ttanaka
    Re: Loose table strategy changes? [post #2]

This is my two cents - I think if you play tight, you will win in this situation. You may have an opportunity to play a some looser hands, particularly in late position, on this table, and have a chance to win more. If you hit your hand, you know the poor players will still call you all the way down. But this could still be dangerous. You'll have to be able to lay those second place hands down.

Personally, I would stick to my normal game plan - which is tight. Play good cards and play them aggressively. Bet/raise the pot when you think you're ahead, make those poor players chase your hand.

Joel

I played some low limit holdem this weekend at a really loose table with really bad players, these guys called or raised everything even when they didn't have cards. As a result, the pots were really large , but with so many players staying in, someone often got lucky and took the pot . It's kinda like you said with the pocket aces, if everyone stays in, most likely someone will beat ya.

I was inclined to play a little bit tighter, didn't win/play as often, but when I had the cards, I won a big pot.

ttanaka

This is my two cents - I think if you play tight, you will win in this situation. You may have an opportunity to play a some looser hands, particularly in late position, on this table, and have a chance to win more. If you hit your hand, you know the poor players will still call you all the way down. But this could still be dangerous. You'll have to be able to lay those second place hands down.

Personally, I would stick to my normal game plan - which is tight. Play good cards and play them aggressively. Bet/raise the pot when you think you're ahead, make those poor players chase your hand.

Joel

ttanaka

Joel

ttanaka

Joel

ttanaka

Joel

ttanaka

Default Loose Table Strategy

First, I'm no poker pro but I'll try to add my two-cents in. I think some people can make a mistake by not playing the game at hand. Every game can be different depending on who's sitting at the table. Sometimes you'll have a nice tight game, other games will have crazy betters throwing off your routine.

If you cannot adapt quickly to the strategies at hand, you're gonna loose.

That being said, I believe a good strategy is to evaluate the loose players and see what cards they end up with. Are they searching for cards, do they make it, do they bluff or are they just terrible card players? We have a regular game where one guy always fishes for the river card. More often than not, he will continue matching bets just to see the river card. Sometimes he gets lucky, sometimes he ends up with nothing. Knowing he is willing to take the chance and fish for a card allows me to play against his bets. Typically, this will reveal the strength of his hand. You can win some nice size pots by playing against the bets of loose players. Aggressive players, however, are more tricky and I believe playing your cards will typically win out.

If you only wanna play a game that is tight and "by-the-book" then you should play in tourneys with those caliber of people. But that is not usually a reality of most home-style games. If you're gonna play with people of all skill levels, you have to adapt and play to the strengths and weaknesses available.

But hey, that's just me.

First, I'm no poker pro but I'll try to add my two-cents in. I think some people can make a mistake by not playing the game at hand. Every game can be different depending on who's sitting at the table. Sometimes you'll have a nice tight game, other games will have crazy betters throwing off your routine.

That being said, I believe a good strategy is to evaluate the loose players and see what cards they end up with. Are they searching for cards, do they make it, do they bluff or are they just terrible card players? We have a regular game where one guy always fishes for the river card. More often than not, he will continue matching bets just to see the river card. Sometimes he gets lucky, sometimes he ends up with nothing. Knowing he is willing to take the chance and fish for a card allows me to play against his bets. Typically, this will reveal the strength of his hand. You can win some nice size pots by playing against the bets of loose players. Aggressive players, however, are more tricky and I believe playing your cards will typically win out.

If you only wanna play a game that is tight and "by-the-book" then you should play in tourneys with those caliber of people. But that is not usually a reality of most home-style games. If you're gonna play with people of all skill levels, you have to adapt and play to the strengths and weaknesses available.

But hey, that's just me.

But hey, that's just me.

But hey, that's just me.

But hey, that's just me.

But hey, that's just me.
    cjburden Guest
    I don't think there is any question here

loose game you tighten up.

The only time you need to change that a little bit is if you stop getting any action because they recognize that you haven't played weak hands. I have a home game myself where I was very successful playing tight because they're all so loose until recently. Now when I even look at my chips they're mucking, so I've had to loosen up a bit so I can get some action again.
    cjburden Guest

The only time you need to change that a little bit is if you stop getting any action because they recognize that you haven't played weak hands. I have a home game myself where I was very successful playing tight because they're all so loose until recently. Now when I even look at my chips they're mucking, so I've had to loosen up a bit so I can get some action again.
    cjburden Guest

cjburden Guest

cjburden Guest

cjburden Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cjburden
    Sounds like it's time to start opening with raises on hands like ATo, KJo, 99, 88 and 77 (maybe even AXs or tight suited connectors) after a run of cold cards until they stop showing you so much respect.
    Sounds like it's time to start opening with raises on hands like ATo, KJo, 99, 88 and 77 (maybe even AXs or tight suited connectors) after a run of cold cards until they stop showing you so much respect.