Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

ARCHIVE: Going All-in

Default ARCHIVE: Going All-in

MagicMark
    IP: Logged
    Going All-in [post #1]

In the 11/11 Play-by-play (Pocket Rockets), you described a situation in which after you went all-in, Player 4 called your bet then raised all-in. This caused Player 9 to fold.

In this situation, was going all-in the best play for Player 4? Would a call have been better, hoping to entice Player 9 to call? Player 4 had trip Qs with no overcard on the board. While there was a slim possibility that Player 9 could be drawing for a straight or flush, given the previous betting that appears unlikely.

As I've never played NL, I don't really understand all the dynamics involved. So what are the situations you will (or should) go all-in?

-- MagicMark

Nov 20, 2003 at 06:20 PM Quote Print

ttanaka
    Re: Going All-in [post #2]

MagicMark,

Very nice analysis, you are correct. If I was Player4, I absolutely would have only called the bet, hoping Player9 behind would also call. I would have waited until the river to place my final bet and go all-in.

When to go all-in is not a simple question to answer. I am always PREPARED to go all-in when I believe I have the best hand. But, going all-in is a quick way to end the hand in most cases, so unless I want that to happen, I like to put out some callable bets first and build the pot. It also may take 1 or 2 rounds of betting for me to determine whether I have the best hand or not.

Going all-in is really dependent on the situation (obviously), you use it when you think you have the best hand AND you think the opponent will call. You could also use it when you think you have the best hand now, but could lose to a draw and want the hand to end right now.

Nov 20, 2003 at 07:20 PM Quote Print

MagicMark
    Re: Going All-in [post #3]

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ttanaka wrote:
    Very nice analysis, you are correct.

Going all-in is really dependent on the situation (obviously), you use it when you think you have the best hand AND you think the opponent will call. You could also use it when you think you have the best hand now, but could lose to a draw and want the hand to end right now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sigh, it is always easy to correctly analyze a sitution when you don't have 9 people staring at your waiting for you to make a decision!

But on when to go all-in, if you had a big pocket pair and there has already been a raise pre-flop, would that be a good time to go all-in? Of course, even then I guess it would depend on the size of the "all-in"?

-- MagicMark

[Edited by MagicMark on Nov 20, 2003 at 08:01 PM]
    Nov 20, 2003 at 08:00 PM Quote Print

ttanaka
    Re: Going All-in [post #4]

Even when already rasied pre-flop, I would be careful going all-in. If the opponent's raise is substantial, ie - the pot is currently at $1.50, he pre-flop raises $10, I would probably laydown TT, JJ, possibly QQ...

KK, I would call. AA, I would re-raise and/or go all-in.

Because online poker is so quick, and you play so many hands, it is amazing the frequency you find yourself w/ a high pocket pair, only to be up against a higher pocket pair.

My play would also depend on my opponent. Some players overplay their hands, so I may loosen up the calls mentioned up above.

If the raise is smaller, ie $1.50, I would probably call w/ TT and re-raise w/ JJ or better. If my pocket pair is less than KK, I usually try to re-raise and get more information and then play it from the flop.

And, of course, if someone goes all-in pre-flop, I will call/go all-in w/ AA and most likely the same w/ KK.

MagicMark
    Going All-in [post #1]

In the 11/11 Play-by-play (Pocket Rockets), you described a situation in which after you went all-in, Player 4 called your bet then raised all-in. This caused Player 9 to fold.

In this situation, was going all-in the best play for Player 4? Would a call have been better, hoping to entice Player 9 to call? Player 4 had trip Qs with no overcard on the board. While there was a slim possibility that Player 9 could be drawing for a straight or flush, given the previous betting that appears unlikely.

As I've never played NL, I don't really understand all the dynamics involved. So what are the situations you will (or should) go all-in?

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark,

Very nice analysis, you are correct. If I was Player4, I absolutely would have only called the bet, hoping Player9 behind would also call. I would have waited until the river to place my final bet and go all-in.

When to go all-in is not a simple question to answer. I am always PREPARED to go all-in when I believe I have the best hand. But, going all-in is a quick way to end the hand in most cases, so unless I want that to happen, I like to put out some callable bets first and build the pot. It also may take 1 or 2 rounds of betting for me to determine whether I have the best hand or not.

MagicMark

quote:
    ttanaka wrote:

Sigh, it is always easy to correctly analyze a sitution when you don't have 9 people staring at your waiting for you to make a decision!

But on when to go all-in, if you had a big pocket pair and there has already been a raise pre-flop, would that be a good time to go all-in? Of course, even then I guess it would depend on the size of the "all-in"?

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

Even when already rasied pre-flop, I would be careful going all-in. If the opponent's raise is substantial, ie - the pot is currently at $1.50, he pre-flop raises $10, I would probably laydown TT, JJ, possibly QQ...

Because online poker is so quick, and you play so many hands, it is amazing the frequency you find yourself w/ a high pocket pair, only to be up against a higher pocket pair.

My play would also depend on my opponent. Some players overplay their hands, so I may loosen up the calls mentioned up above.

If the raise is smaller, ie $1.50, I would probably call w/ TT and re-raise w/ JJ or better. If my pocket pair is less than KK, I usually try to re-raise and get more information and then play it from the flop.

And, of course, if someone goes all-in pre-flop, I will call/go all-in w/ AA and most likely the same w/ KK.

MagicMark
    Going All-in [post #1]

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark,

MagicMark

quote:
    ttanaka wrote:

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark
    Going All-in [post #1]

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark,

MagicMark

quote:
    ttanaka wrote:

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark
    Going All-in [post #1]

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark,

MagicMark

quote:
    ttanaka wrote:

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark
    Going All-in [post #1]

-- MagicMark

ttanaka

MagicMark,

MagicMark

quote:
    ttanaka wrote:

-- MagicMark

ttanaka