Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michele Knight found alive after 10 years

Default Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michele Knight found alive after 10 years

It's another lengthy kidnapping story!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22430145

How the hell did it take them so long to escape?
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Pretty amazing story. And one of them has a 6 year old kid with the captor.
    well shit you don't hear that every day.
    okay what the fuck.

why don't they just kill mother fuckers like this straight out to save people money?

these females are going to be fucked in the head for the rest of their life, hand them a baseball bat, and let them go at him.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    okay what the fuck.

why don't they just kill mother fuckers like this straight out to save people money?

these females are going to be fucked in the head for the rest of their life, hand them a baseball bat, and let them go at him.
    Easy to have this reaction, and it's an understandable reaction. But, if we allow diversions from humane justice-- when we start waiving the rights of others based on our knee jerk emotional reactions, we suddenly end up locking people away indefinitely, without charges, lopping peoples hands off for theft, and persecuting artists, activists, and journalist for expressing ideas which oppose the status quo.

Give the man a trial, it won't be hard to convict, and then throw the book at him.
    Last edited by boost; 05-09-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Easy to have this reaction, and it's an understandable reaction. But, if we allow diversions from humane justice-- when we start waiving the rights of others based on our knee jerk emotional reactions, we suddenly end up locking people away indefinitely, without charges, lopping peoples hands off for theft, and persecuting artists, activists, and journalist for expressing ideas which oppose the status quo.

Give the man a trial, it won't be hard to convict, and then throw the book at him.
    Well stated.
    I hope Ariel says 'the cake is a lie' in court for all the portal fans
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    at least we got a catchy song out of it!

The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    I'm thrilled they survived and got free, although I agree this will probably be far from a happy ending. I can't imagine it's going to be easy for these girls to just get a 9 to 5 and settle down now after 10 years of captivity, rape, and fear.

I often wonder about the little details. I mean some things are just gonna be a pain in the ass. I'm sure their drivers licenses (if they had them) have expired. They are a decade behind on their taxes, even if your income was zero you still have to file.. and what do they put on a resume? I'm damn near 30 and have zero work history because I was held captive by a rapist for 10 years?

I am really pulling for them though. I have been following a couple abductions in my home city for many years now. I hope they end as this case did, as this is best case scenario really.
    Quote Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
    I often wonder about the little details. I mean some things are just gonna be a pain in the ass. I'm sure their drivers licenses (if they had them) have expired. They are a decade behind on their taxes, even if your income was zero you still have to file.. and what do they put on a resume? I'm damn near 30 and have zero work history because I was held captive by a rapist for 10 years?
    Is that a joke?

Sorry girls, you're going back into prison as you've not filed your taxes for ten years

I also imagine they'll be getting plenty of money from court settlements.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Is that a joke?

Sorry girls, you're going back into prison as you've not filed your taxes for ten years

No, I didn't mean it as a joke, or as a form of sarcasm. Just that those little things don't get much consideration from the public.. but it's something they will have to attend. Just crossed my mind is all. They survived this big ordeal and now they have to adjust to the annoying details of the common reality. Was just a thought.

I was wondering about the whole court settlement thing too.. who would they sue? I mean the guy holding them prisoner don't have shit. Even assuming his home was paid off... sell that piece of garbage and split it up 3 ways don't leave you much, especially after lawyers feed. I'm sure that cocksucker will use the money on his own lawyer before they get a chance to get a judgement anyway.
    WHO CAN THINK OF TAXES AT A TIME LIKE THIS!
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    WHO CAN THINK OF TAXES AT A TIME LIKE THIS!
    That's my point.. nobody think of taxes. These girls have to adjust to the real world now, they will have to think about that stuff and deal with it. Won't be easy or fun.
    I also wonder about Amanda Berry's daughter. She thinks it's normal for mommy to be locked up in a cellar or whatever. She is probably not super excited that she won't see her daddy anymore either, even if he is a piece of shit.

Amanda Berry not only has to acclimate herself back into the world, but her young daughter who has a messed up understanding of the way our society functions. By the time you are 6, many of your core beliefs of reality are formed, altering them can be very difficult. And both of them will have to do it with the whole world watching and judging. Sure, nobody will judge them now... but if they muck it up, people won't be as kind 10 years from now. The public are a bunch of pricks once it's not headline news anymore.
    derekeverett seems to be covering things that i've been concerned about with these women.

their head is fucked. the youngin's head is fucked.

there are needed things to be proved, and imho it's all proven itself already.

maybe it's because i'm a silly female, maybe it's because i'm fucktons more assertive about my views now, maybe it's cause i don't see a need in people wasting money paying for the court to be like, " oh yeah, he's guilty, ldo.", idk.

there's good and bad in everyone, that's obvious. yes, i had an emotional knee-jerk reaction, but then came into play in my mind was what the hell these women are going to have to deal with for the rest of their life. what the youngin' is going to have to live with. even with years and years of therapy, these women are always going to be paranoid, fearful, and have subconscious reactions to random ass shit, that will take them back to these fucked up memories, consciously.

my views on what should happen - kill the asshole, and give endless amount bad-ass awesome therapy to the women and kiddo.

Last edited by ChipEaterMan; 05-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
    That's my point.. nobody think of taxes. These girls have to adjust to the real world now, they will have to think about that stuff and deal with it. Won't be easy or fun.
    Yeah, they probably behind on they immunization shots and it's also tough to get insurance without proof of insurance. No one can sponsor their passports. They're fucked.
    Plus they've got an almost unmanageable amount of TV to catch up on
    Last edited by kiwiMark; 05-09-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: less is more
    Some fucked up people around
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    derekeverett seems to be covering things that i've been concerned about with these women.

their head is fucked. the youngin's head is fucked.

there are needed things to be proved, and imho it's all proven itself already.

maybe it's because i'm a silly female, maybe it's because i'm fucktons more assertive about my views now, maybe it's cause i don't see a need in people wasting money paying for the court to be like, " oh yeah, he's guilty, ldo.", idk.

there's good and bad in everyone, that's obvious. yes, i had an emotional knee-jerk reaction, but then came into play in my mind was what the hell these women are going to have to deal with for the rest of their life. what the youngin' is going to have to live with. even with years and years of therapy, these women are always going to be paranoid, fearful, and have subconscious reactions to random ass shit, that will take them back to these fucked up memories, consciously.

my views on what should happen - kill the asshole, and give endless amount bad-ass awesome therapy to the women and kiddo.
    There is a reason that we give everyone, even the perpetrators of the most heinous crimes, their day in court. With help from my previous post in this thread, if you can't wrap your head around why , than I can't help you, and I am honestly worried that you can likely legally participate in politics, raise children, and otherwise influence the future of this world.
    Bit harsh there boost.

It's an emotional reaction to an emotive situation, that's just being human imo.
    meh
    Amazing story. Sadly there are some pretty sick people in this world.
    Scottish Cowboy
    Maybe it's because I don't even want to imagine what those girls went through, but everytime I think about this I just feel bad for the neighbors. If I found out that something like that has been going on in the house next door I'd think back to every little thing that could have been an indication, and how it could have passed by me for a decade. That has to seriously fuck with your head.
    Anyone else find the idea of 3 naked teens tied up in your basement to be used as your play thing quite appealing?
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    Anyone else find the idea of 3 naked teens tied up in your basement to be used as your play thing quite appealing?
    Pretty sure the crying and begging would put me off my stroke
    Also, meh to another three mouths to feed
    No. Downvote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    Also, meh to another three mouths to feed
    Your practical approach to life must be very rewarding.
    Your practical approach to life must be very rewarding.
    Yes. Yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    No. Downvote.
    I thought it was at least funny.

But it's also interesting to note how in different times, keeping slaves and using them for sex was not uncommon, or even frowned upon all that much..
    Sure. The only significant difference between those of us who don't do it and those who do is empathy. To normal people, sexual dominance is often very appealing, but causing pain is not; whereas to a sociopath, pain of others is not understood. Then there's sadists who relish in the pain of others

My fantasies on the matter have never involved causing others pain. It's the same with most people
    suer it`s it
    Bit harsh there boost.

It's an emotional reaction to an emotive situation, that's just being human imo.

Lust is an emotion. Ariel Castro lusted for these women so much that he allowed it to override his moral compass, allowing him to commit these awful awful crimes.

It's easier to condemn his failure to control his emotions, because it's easier to see the damage caused by his lust. Obviously I am not equating what he did to Chelle's reaction.. but maybe I am. The lack of control needed to do what he did is so great, that it is assured these types of crimes will be committed relatively infrequently, limiting the damage to society as a whole. The doublethink of justice without a trial is much easier to fall into, and if enough people do, the world becomes a very ugly place.

Of course Chelle herself would be responsible for a very little piece of that terrible future-- but the thing is, we can assume that no amount of societal pressures would stop a person as depraved of self control as Castro from doing what Castro did, however, if people get called out on their shitty knee jerk emotional lynch mob forming reactions, the societal pressure certainly can prevent us from going down a dark path.

If you want to champion the erosion of our rights, then you should expect to be called on it like the bullshit that it is. There are plenty of places in the world where you aren't guaranteed a fair trial, feel free to immigrate there; I bet they swiftly punish people like Castro, but they may also swiftly punish you for political dissent... or they may just punish you for political dissent, and reward the Castro's of the land by forcing the rape victim to marry their attacker. Send me a post card.
    how do you not end up killing yourself in that post-blowing-your-load period
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    There is a reason that we give everyone, even the perpetrators of the most heinous crimes, their day in court. With help from my previous post in this thread, if you can't wrap your head around why , than I can't help you, and I am honestly worried that you can likely legally participate in politics, raise children, and otherwise influence the future of this world.
    I'm able to wrap my head as to the reasons why. Because there are a lot of things that need to be proven, details that need to be sorted out in court, yes. That's not in any shape or form wrong. But - I suppose the thing that bothers me is they're going to drag things out, it's going to take a longer period of time than it should to get the ruling.

Honestly, if you're basing yourself being "worried" over things I may or may not be able to do to effect the future of the world, then you should base your decision on that off the fact that me seeing people suffer because someone else wanted to toy with another human(s) upsets me. Seeing that, even as a child was upsetting. I was raised in the south, where quite a few people are still ignorantly racist, and I remember as a child getting fucking pissed and saying something because an idiot I'm related to was trying to tell me that people of other races weren't equal.

I get emotional over certain subjects, though not as emotional as I used to before I got more mentally stable, of course my reaction to some will seem a bit dramatic, of course it's going to seem as though I'm over-reacting. But, just because I have an emotional response over very emotional grabbing subjects does not mean I am going to impact the world in a negative way, if anything my compassion and protectiveness of people that have been hurt by those who seek to do harm should be a wonderful thing. No, it does not get out of control, so do not bring me being or not being a person that you are concerned about "influencing the world" into the discussion.

Damn right I'll influence it, but in a good way.
    That is a great response. I feel like everyone knows where you're coming from and everyone has the same gut reaction, but we do have that rational side that reminds us what road that gut reaction has lead us down throughout human history.

I don't think there's been a single child murderer in the last 10 years where I haven't said something like 'give me 5 minutes alone with that guy'. Not because I'm about to abandon the legal system and go vigilante, and certainly not because I think it's a better answer than a fair trial. I'm pissed at the sick fuck for being a sick fuck and empathising with the victims families at the same time.

As much as we can all imagine the therapeutic aspect of giving these three women baseball bats, that doesn't mean we are unfit to vote or raise children and it doesn't mean we are championing the erosion of our rights.

I feel that we interpreted that post in different ways and I feel that given the way I read it, your reaction has been ott. Oskar summed it up quite well.
    I want to make it explicitly clear that I agree with you boost, due process is where it's at.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    at least we got a catchy song out of it!

schmoyoho rocks!
    Also, I probably was harsh on Chelle, and didn't really mean to pick on her, just she happened to make the gut reaction post which coincided with me having the desire to confront it. The post is made by at least one person pretty much every time a horrible thing like this happens. Hell, I'm sure I've made that post in the past. So, I wasn't trying to pick on Chelle, she just ended up in the cross hairs.

Also, while I don't think anyone should be censored, I do think voicing these sorts of gut reactions, despite the intentions, have a negative impact. When no caveat is offered, and they can be reasonably interpreted as a genuine proposal of a solution, they help to create an environment in which people believe that at some level this sort of "justice" is justifiable.

"Those greedy jews!" may have been a curse heard by a German who really didn't mean it, but was just frustrated with the dire economic situation in his country. But whether he's a good person or not, whether he meant it or not, it doesn't matter-- he is facilitating an environment in which antisemitism is permissible.

And now I've brought it to Nazis, so I think I lose the discussion on a technicality.
    Yay, godwin's law

I do understand what you're saying though
    I think Chelle spoke impulsively from her heart. Wimmenz, they belong in the kitchen.
    There's a distinction to be made between persecution of the innocent and retribution, but that distinction isn't always easily made - reddit and the Boston marathon springs to mind. That's why due process wins and should be applied regardless of the strength of the evidence.

They tend to get beat up in prison anyway, so it's kinda win / win
    I think this only works if you get off on the power aspect. I don't think I could even get it up in that situation. If they stockholm syndrome on you that's another matter.
    I don't think there's been a single child murderer in the last 10 years where I haven't said something like 'give me 5 minutes alone with that guy'. Not because I'm about to abandon the legal system and go vigilante, and certainly not because I think it's a better answer than a fair trial. I'm pissed at the sick fuck for being a sick fuck and empathising with the victims families at the same time.

As much as we can all imagine the therapeutic aspect of giving these three women baseball bats, that doesn't mean we are unfit to vote or raise children and it doesn't mean we are championing the erosion of our rights.

I feel that we interpreted that post in different ways and I feel that given the way I read it, your reaction has been ott. Oskar summed it up quite well.

Yep.

And Boost, I understand that you were trying to show that an over-emotional reaction is not a good thing, and I agree, it isn't. I'm aware that when people over-react and actually allow their emotions to determine everything they do, they're fucking up.

As a female, I'm predispositioned to have an emotional reaction over certain subjects, because of hormones and shit. I have things I know upset me, and I try harder to use my logical reasoning when I know those certain subjects arise. It doesn't mean I'm going to be like, "fuck laws and fairness I'mma torture and kill the sommabitch", it means I've got emotions, which imho is a fuckton better than being a sociopath.

Also - yes, I do belong in the kitchen, cause damn I make some good fuckin yeast rolls and baked honey garlic chicken.
    =)
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    No. Downvote.
    Pffft, this is why you'll never have 3 naked teens tied up in your basement to be used as your plaything.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    how do you not end up killing yourself in that post-blowing-your-load period
    This is actually a good point. I mean I even regret porn sometimes once it's over.
    I went to a party yesterday and saw one of the larger human beings I have ever seen. I would say 6'6", 300lb/136kg, built, enormous arms, etc. He was wearing a packers shirt and I wouldn't have been surprised if he was an NFL lineman. Actually I have seen many linemen and this guy was more imposing then probably all of them. Anyway it turns out that he is actually a prison guard, and he was assigned to protect Ariel Castro. thought that was kind of interesting.. although I obviously don't have all the details
    Last edited by Lukie; 05-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    6ft 6? dear jesus, fuck that shit. his foot is probably the size of my fucking arm length wise.