Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

[FREE] Complete NLHE Foundations Course - Sign Up By Posting Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video [FREE] Complete NLHE Foundations Course - Sign Up By Posting Here

Special Note

A lot of people who are new to FTR have signed up for accounts just for this course and my strategy articles. If you are one of those people, then be sure to post in this thread letting me know so that I can make sure I get to know you and help you to get the most out of FTR.

Who Am I?

My name is Jesse, and I've been a member of FlopTurnRiver for about a decade. I've also written a weekly strategy article over the past two years, and you can check out a complete listing of that column on this page. I've played poker professionally in the past, and I'm an established full-time gambling writer.

What is the NLHE Foundations Course?

In the past, I've charged for coaching by the hour or by the 90-minute session. I have a set course of topics that I cover with people who want to develop a solid foundation for becoming a winning player in micro and small stakes NLHE. The idea is that I want to give you the solid foundation that you need to start off winning at the lower levels, and then you can build on that to make more and more money. I can virtually guarantee that if you follow the path I lay out for you that you'll become a winning player at microstakes and have a solid foundation for moving up to small stakes in a relatively short period of time.

How Does This Work?

Step 1: Start by signing up by posting in this thread. It doesn't matter if we've never spoken before or if you've never had an actual account before today. You'll need an account to take part in this course, but that only takes a moment. I need it because I'm going to be communicating to you via private messages and posts in this forum that I'll need you to reply to. It's really important that you sign up in this thread because I'm going to be sending you private messages to learn about you as an individual and answer questions directly.

Step 2: We'll start out by introducing ourselves and getting to know each other on a little more personal basis. I want you to know about me, and I want to learn about you. That will make it easier and more natural for me to help get you started off on the right foot in this game.

Step 3: I'll set up a series of lessons that you work through at your own pace. These lessons will involve about 15 minutes of reading and 15-30 minutes of exercises to work through. The only math involved will be addition, subtraction, multiplication and division that you can estimate in your head or use a calculator for. A good pace for these will be one or two each week.

Step 4: In each lesson, you'll be asked to post about what you learned, but you'll also be able to ask me questions directly or in the thread for the lesson.

Step 5: You make a shitload of money playing poker.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 06-24-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    I will do this Jesse, PM me please
    I would like to do this, but I have to study for 4 exams next week, and then in 3 more weeks I will also have to study again for college, so I won't have a lot of time to play lots of hands, but I still want to do this
    sounds like fun, sign me up and let me know what I have to do
    I've sent PMs to everyone who has posted in this thread so far.

Don't forget to check out this basic sample of my teaching style to get an idea of how easy I'm going to make this on people: http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ue-199152.html

Also, I want to clarify something since it was mentioned above: You won't have to play a lot of poker for this course, but I might ask you to play a short session of 100-200 hands once in a while just to get examples of you using these concepts in your play.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 06-09-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    Hi. Please count me in. I'm new on here and this sounds like a good way to get started.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1QDOG7 View Post
    Hi. Please count me in. I'm new on here and this sounds like a good way to get started.
    Hi! Welcome to FTR. I sent you a PM about this course.
    Hi, this sounds like an awesome idea - count me in. Minnyfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnyfish View Post
    Hi, this sounds like an awesome idea - count me in. Minnyfish
    Hey! I sent you a private message. Please reply or post here if you can't send PMs yet for some reason.

Also, I'm probably going to be starting this course next week for those who are in, but it'll be easy to catch up if you start late, so keep posting in this thread if you want in!
    sigh. hi spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    sigh. hi spoon.
    You're in. I'll PM you later when I get started, and we'll catch up.
    The next five people to sign up get a free hand chart.
    Please, count me in! Thanks, Spoon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinaD View Post
    Please, count me in! Thanks, Spoon!
    You're in. =)
    I'd like to join too
    I'm interested
    Hey relaywisp and Outlawiceman, I've added you both, and I've sent you both PMs!
    I really liked the sample format.
    When do we start?
    The first lesson in this course has been posted! There is also a forum thread here for answering the exercises.

I've PM'd everyone who showed interest with other instructions, so make sure you've posted in this thread if you want to take part, even if that means creating an account for all of you lurkers.
    I'm interested in this. Sign me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rM4N View Post
    I'm interested in this. Sign me up.
    Hey man you're on the PM list now. The first part is available at this link, and we're going to be building pretty quickly by using this to do analysis.
    let's do this, hope I'm not too late
    Our second lesson has been added, and the forum thread for the exercise is available too.

If you're just starting out in this series, or if you're interested in getting started, don't worry about being behind. This is designed so that you can work at your own pace from the very beginning, so post in this thread to let me know that you want in on the action, and I'll send you a PM to help you get started.
    Is it too late to sign up???
    Quote Originally Posted by PJfan10 View Post
    Is it too late to sign up???
    Nope! Just start with the first lesson and work through them at your own pace.
    This sounds great, and I would definitely love to join if I'm not too late!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashkar View Post
    This sounds great, and I would definitely love to join if I'm not too late!
    Sounds good. I'll add you to the list and send you a PM!
    Hey everybody.

Lesson 3 is up here now, and if you're just joining us, feel free to add your name in this thread. There are two more lessons left after this before we do something more interactive at our half-way point through the series, so make sure that you post in the thread for the third lesson with any questions or comments you have.
    Count me in if it's still not too late... I'll get started on the first lesson tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaley66 View Post
    Count me in if it's still not too late... I'll get started on the first lesson tonight.
    Sounds good!
    Quick Update

I've been particularly busy this week, and I haven't had time to set up the next part (#4) of the NLHE Foundations Series. I just want you guys to know it's coming soon.
    I'll join in late!
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    -Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHaw View Post
    I'll join in late!
    Sounds good Joe! Just work through the items in order, and I'll send you a PM along with everyone else when there's a new section.
    Update July 8, 2015

This is a two-part update.

First, the fourth lesson of the NLHE Foundations Series is up, and you can post your homework and discussion for that lesson in this thread.

Second, I really want to welcome all of people who are new to FTR, and I want to get to know you better and to get you involved with other FTR regulars. The best way for you to do that is to come join me in the FTR Community forum and post in the Randomness thread.

It's a general chat thread with a lot of super-friendly people, and we'd really love to have you. As an added incentive, for the people who are a part of this course and who start posting in the Randomness thread and other FTR Community threads, I'm going to hook you up with over $100 worth of what I believe are the single most important books that you can study for moving up through the micro stakes and small stakes in online NLHE today.
    Update July 18, 2015

I have the next installment in the series coming up soon.

However, I need you guys to find some tutorials on how to run filters and search for players in Hold'em Manager and Poker Tracker since I'm not familiar with the newest generation of database programs and where everything is in them. If you could post those tutorials in this thread, that would be great. Let me know which ones seem good and which ones suck.
    I would suggest Brent Clearman youtube channel for HM2 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqH...IpAdIestWhujZg
    There are lots of filters tutorials, based on actions, board texture, bet size, position....etc.
    It was really helpful for me at my very begginings.
    hi
    i'm very imterested in course
    andy
    Hi andyf1966,

Welcome to FTR! =) I've added you to the list, and you'll get a message when there's a new installment (which should be soon).

Thanks,
    Jesse
    Hey,

I want to test it, please send me a PM.
    Hi Pursu7it,

I've added you to the PM list for when new parts come out. There are links to the first five parts available in this thread. Start with the first part and post the exercises in that part's thread. I'll look at them (or get one of the people helping me to look at them if I''m not at the computer), and then we'll keep building a foundation for you to use to get more aggressive and a little less passive than you were with those 20,000 hand stats you posted earlier!

Looking forward to working with you,
    Jesse
    Hi Spoon, I just signed up with the site after stumbling across your course using google. Is it too late to sign up? I love the concept!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
    Hi Spoon, I just signed up with the site after stumbling across your course using google. Is it too late to sign up? I love the concept!
    It's not too late! =) Welcome to FTR.

I've added you to the list of people I'll PM when there's a new part out so that you'll stay up to date with the latest in this course. For now, you can go ahead and work through the parts that are out (just see the forum listing for the Beginner's Circle). Make sure that you work through the homework for each and post it in the threads so that we can look at it and check your progress!
    Hey Spoon, I have lurked the site for sometime off and on. I really enjoy the work that you have put into your articles, but I was always struggled to apply them to my game. Would love to jump a board you foundation course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambam77 View Post
    Hey Spoon, I have lurked the site for sometime off and on. I really enjoy the work that you have put into your articles, but I was always struggled to apply them to my game. Would love to jump a board you foundation course.
    Welcome aboard! I've added you to the PM list. Get started with the first one and post your answers to the exercises. We'll check over them for you as you post your answers.

Default Foundation Course

Hi Spoon. I'd love to participate in this course.
    Quote Originally Posted by buggzilla View Post
    Hi Spoon. I'd love to participate in this course.
    Hey! I've added you to the list of people I PM over it. Feel free to start off with part 1 and work through the different parts. You can see them all just by looking at the threads in the Beginner's Circle since they're all on the top. If you want to talk to me personally, you can in the general chat thread in the BC that I started earlier today. I'd love to have you.

Default signup

Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Hey! I've added you to the list of people I PM over it. Feel free to start off with part 1 and work through the different parts. You can see them all just by looking at the threads in the Beginner's Circle since they're all on the top. If you want to talk to me personally, you can in the general chat thread in the BC that I started earlier today. I'd love to have you.
    yes please sign me up for the course..thx...larry
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue40 View Post
    yes please sign me up for the course..thx...larry
    Sure thing Larry! Welcome to FTR! You're now on the PM list for the course.

For now, make sure to work through the first five parts of the course. You can find them by going into the Beginners Circle forum. I'll let you know when there's an update.

Jesse
    I wouldn't mind giving this a go Spoon?
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_1878 View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving this a go Spoon?
    Hey man. I've added you to the PMs list for the course. What you need to do first is work through the first five parts and post for the exercises in those threads. I'm glad to have you.
    Sweet, I'll get to doing that later today.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Plz sign up me!
    Quote Originally Posted by othd13 View Post
    Plz sign up me!
    Hi othd13! Welcome to FTR. I've added you to the list of people I PM when a new section is available.

For now, come talk to us in the BC General Chat thread (link here) and get to know myself and the people you'll be studying with. A lot of them are really new to FTR just like you.
    Hi,

Can I get in on this too or is it too late? Also what are the games - 2NL? 10NL?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A View Post
    Hi,

Can I get in on this too or is it too late? Also what are the games - 2NL? 10NL?

Thanks
    Hi D.O.A, welcome to FTR! You can get in on this if you like. We're going to be covering NLHE in general with a foundation that will help you in both cash games and tournaments. The primarily focus for me is on microstakes NLHE cash games, but I'm going to include material later in the course to help SNG and MTT players.

I've added you to the PM list for this course. For the time being, feel free to work through the first five parts (you can see links to them in this thread and in the Beginners Circle forum), and join us in the BC General Chat thread so that I can get to know you guys and you guys can get to know each other. You can also ask me anything in that thread.
    Thanks
    New NLHE Foundations Course Lesson!

It's about to get real.

NLHE Foundations #06: Putting Opponents on Pre-Flop Ranges (Part 3) (Discussion Thread)

This lesson is about putting people on calling ranges pre-flop. Post in the thread and let me know what you think!
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 08-13-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    Hi. I'm in!
    Quote Originally Posted by radio_on View Post
    Hi. I'm in!
    Hi radio_on, and welcome to FTR. I've added you to the PM list that I have for this course, and you'll get messages with updates from here on out.

For now, work through the first six parts of the series in order at your own pace. Also come to the BC General Chat thread (click this link to go there) so that everybody can get to know each other because I'm going to have you guys doing stuff in groups pretty soon.
    Hey guys and girls,

Make sure you don't miss the Mini Lessons thread. It's a lot different than the NLHE Foundations course because it focuses on individual ideas and situations that are useful to think about, even if they don't build on each other directly. It also has a funnier and more laid-back vibe to it.
    I Want in am i too late?
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusisness View Post
    I Want in am i too late?
    Welcome to FTR. =)

I've added you to the PM list for this series. Start by working from the very first lesson and going through the rest at your own pace. You can find all of the lessons on the first page of the Beginners Circle forum.

Also, did you sign up to the forums just for this series?
    technically no, ive been lurking for a bit. though it did make me finally make my first post does that count?
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusisness View Post
    technically no, ive been lurking for a bit. though it did make me finally make my first post does that count?
    Yes it counts lol

Default NLHE Foundations Course

Hi. I would like to sign up for the course. Thanks.
    Im ready for my Poker Jedi training....
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Swords View Post
    Hi. I would like to sign up for the course. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLovedOne View Post
    Im ready for my Poker Jedi training....
    Welcome to FTR! I'm glad you guys are joining us for this course.

I've added both of you to the PM list for this. Where are you guys from and where do you play?
    Checking back into FTR after several years off from poker. I'm interested.
    Im from Pennsylvania.
    I play on BOL and ACR
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb View Post
    Checking back into FTR after several years off from poker. I'm interested.
    What's up big guy? I've put you on the PMs list for this course.

You can look through the lessons starting with the first one if you want to get started. It's all about getting in there and learning how to do the analysis (and what kind of analysis to do) to make a big dent in things in today's games.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLovedOne View Post
    Im from Pennsylvania.
    I play on BOL and ACR
    That's pretty cool. I'm from North Carolina, and I play on Bovada on my phone.
    What's up big guy?
    Still got the bug. Trying to learn.

It's all about getting in there and learning how to do the analysis (and what kind of analysis to do) to make a big dent in things in today's games.
    Will do. I might need a couple weeks to get caught up.
    i would be interested aswell
    Yo Mr Spoons, this is extremely generous and cool of you to be doing this. I'd like to participate.