Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Strong is weak and weak is strong

Default Strong is weak and weak is strong

I was told once that betting big when you have a weak hand or bluffing and betting small on a strong hand is human nature. BS (Barbra Streisand.) Human nature is to shove all your chips in the center when you got a pair of Aces pre-flop or the stone cold nuts and cower behind a rock when your hand misses the flop. The reason some players bet like that, is that it makes sense.

Both myself and an opponent are in on a $1 pot with $24 remaining. I go all-in with nothing. Most of the time (assuming a rational opponent, not always the case at lower limits) this buys me the pot at a profit of probably around 75c (lets say I had a 25% chance of winning showdown on a draw.) However, when I get called it will be by a likely very strong hand, costing around $20. The losses outweigh the benefit of that move. Strong bets will steal pots, particuarly in the short term, but the stronger the bet the higher chance it's long term unprofitable.

Two players are dueling over a $20 pot. Let's say one is a 75% favorite. Hence, if they both checked it down one will average $15 and the other will average $5. However, if one can bet enough to induce the other to fold that fold is worth $5 and $15 respectivly to our players.

If the player leading makes a half pot bet of $10 it puts the other player in a position of paying $10 for their likely share of $7.5 of the new pot. It's in his advantage to fold giving up their $5 share of the original pot. If the bet is called, the better gains $7.5 of value and another round to push their position. If a fold is induced, the better still gains a sure $5. A strong win-win position.

However, lets say the player behind makes a full pot bet of $20 to "steal" the pot. If the player ahead folds, it's a net profit of $15. If he calls, the player behind can expect to lose $30. The bluff needs to work over 66% of the time to be profitable.

However, if one is a 95% favorite it's a very different story. Inducing a fold is only worth $1, a near disaster for being fortunate enough to have such a solid lead. Hence, now the game becomes figuring out whatever it takes to get the other player to put more chips in the center of the table. In the case of slow play, checking that monster is giving up very little value in exchange for the chance of inducing a bet. This is where knowing your oppoent can have a big effect on your net profit. Slow play the aggressive players and bet into the calling stations. Or just put in a fairly small bet for added value (also sets up profitable bluffs with small amounts.)

Of course if you know this and your opponent knows this and knows you know this... Great game, eh?

I was told once that betting big when you have a weak hand or bluffing and betting small on a strong hand is human nature. BS (Barbra Streisand.) Human nature is to shove all your chips in the center when you got a pair of Aces pre-flop or the stone cold nuts and cower behind a rock when your hand misses the flop. The reason some players bet like that, is that it makes sense.

Both myself and an opponent are in on a $1 pot with $24 remaining. I go all-in with nothing. Most of the time (assuming a rational opponent, not always the case at lower limits) this buys me the pot at a profit of probably around 75c (lets say I had a 25% chance of winning showdown on a draw.) However, when I get called it will be by a likely very strong hand, costing around $20. The losses outweigh the benefit of that move. Strong bets will steal pots, particuarly in the short term, but the stronger the bet the higher chance it's long term unprofitable.

Two players are dueling over a $20 pot. Let's say one is a 75% favorite. Hence, if they both checked it down one will average $15 and the other will average $5. However, if one can bet enough to induce the other to fold that fold is worth $5 and $15 respectivly to our players.

If the player leading makes a half pot bet of $10 it puts the other player in a position of paying $10 for their likely share of $7.5 of the new pot. It's in his advantage to fold giving up their $5 share of the original pot. If the bet is called, the better gains $7.5 of value and another round to push their position. If a fold is induced, the better still gains a sure $5. A strong win-win position.

However, lets say the player behind makes a full pot bet of $20 to "steal" the pot. If the player ahead folds, it's a net profit of $15. If he calls, the player behind can expect to lose $30. The bluff needs to work over 66% of the time to be profitable.

However, if one is a 95% favorite it's a very different story. Inducing a fold is only worth $1, a near disaster for being fortunate enough to have such a solid lead. Hence, now the game becomes figuring out whatever it takes to get the other player to put more chips in the center of the table. In the case of slow play, checking that monster is giving up very little value in exchange for the chance of inducing a bet. This is where knowing your oppoent can have a big effect on your net profit. Slow play the aggressive players and bet into the calling stations. Or just put in a fairly small bet for added value (also sets up profitable bluffs with small amounts.)

Of course if you know this and your opponent knows this and knows you know this... Great game, eh?

In Rounders, Matt Damon says: "If a fish acts strong, hes bluffing. If he acts meek, hes got a hand."

For the most part, I find that to be true. Obviously if youre playing against a good player, he/she will mix up their game.
    In Rounders, Matt Damon says: "If a fish acts strong, hes bluffing. If he acts meek, hes got a hand."

For the most part, I find that to be true. Obviously if youre playing against a good player, he/she will mix up their game.

I guess I know where I stand then....

***** Hand History for Game 404708657 *****
    0/0 TexasHTGameTable (NL) - Fri Feb 20 05:40:25 EST 2004
    Table Card Room Table 1673 (Real Money) -- Seat 8 is the button
    Total number of players : 9
    Seat 1: Player1 ( $22.25)
    Seat 2: Player2 ( $21.50)
    Seat 3: Fnord ( $32.50)
    Seat 4: Player4 ( $26.45)
    Seat 5: Player5 ( $60.25)
    Seat 6: BuysLotsOfPot ( $29.60)
    Seat 7: Player7 ( $26.55)
    Seat 8: Player8 ( $46.55)
    Seat 10: Player10 ( $41.55)
    Player10 posts small blind (0.25)
    Player1 posts big blind (0.50)
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to Fnord [ Jc, Ks ]
    Player2 folds.
    Fnord raises (2) to 2
    Player4 folds.
    Player5 folds.
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (2)
    Player7 calls (2)
    Player8 folds.
    Player10 folds.
    Player1 folds.
    ** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jh, Kd, Jd ]
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (3)
    Player7 folds.
    Fnord calls (3)
    ** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4d ]
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot checks.
    ** Dealing River ** : [ Ac ]
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (5)
    Fnord raises (10) to 10
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (5)
    ** Summary **
    Main Pot: $31.15 | Rake: $1.60
    Board: [ Jh Kd Jd 4d Ac ]
    Player1 balance $21.75, lost $0.50 (folded)
    Player2 balance $21.50, didn't bet (folded)
    Fnord balance $48.65, bet $15, collected $31.15, net +$16.15 [ Jc Ks ] [ a full house, Jacks full of kings -- Ks,Kd,Jc,Jh,Jd ]
    Player4 balance $26.45, didn't bet (folded)
    Player5 balance $60.25, didn't bet (folded)
    BuysLotsOfPot balance $14.60, lost $15 [ 8s As ] [ two pairs, aces and jacks -- As,Ac,Kd,Jh,Jd ]
    Player7 balance $24.55, lost $2 (folded)
    Player8 balance $46.55, didn't bet (folded)
    Player9 balance $20, sits out
    Player10 balance $41.30, lost $0.25 (folded)

** Dealing down cards **
    Player2 folds.
    Fnord raises (2) to 2
    Player4 folds.
    Player5 folds.
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (2)
    Player7 calls (2)
    Player8 folds.
    Player10 folds.
    Player1 folds.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (3)
    Player7 folds.
    Fnord calls (3)
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot checks.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (5)
    Fnord raises (10) to 10
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (5)
    ** Summary **
    Fnord balance $48.65, bet $15, collected $31.15, net +$16.15 [ Jc Ks ] [ a full house, Jacks full of kings -- Ks,Kd,Jc,Jh,Jd ]
    BuysLotsOfPot balance $14.60, lost $15 [ 8s As ] [ two pairs, aces and jacks -- As,Ac,Kd,Jh,Jd ]

** Dealing down cards **
    Player2 folds.
    Fnord raises (2) to 2
    Player4 folds.
    Player5 folds.
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (2)
    Player7 calls (2)
    Player8 folds.
    Player10 folds.
    Player1 folds.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (3)
    Player7 folds.
    Fnord calls (3)
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot checks.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (5)
    Fnord raises (10) to 10
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (5)
    ** Summary **

** Dealing down cards **
    Player2 folds.
    Fnord raises (2) to 2
    Player4 folds.
    Player5 folds.
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (2)
    Player7 calls (2)
    Player8 folds.
    Player10 folds.
    Player1 folds.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (3)
    Player7 folds.
    Fnord calls (3)
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot checks.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (5)
    Fnord raises (10) to 10
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (5)
    ** Summary **

** Dealing down cards **
    Player2 folds.
    Fnord raises (2) to 2
    Player4 folds.
    Player5 folds.
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (2)
    Player7 calls (2)
    Player8 folds.
    Player10 folds.
    Player1 folds.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (3)
    Player7 folds.
    Fnord calls (3)
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot checks.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (5)
    Fnord raises (10) to 10
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (5)
    ** Summary **

** Dealing down cards **
    Player2 folds.
    Fnord raises (2) to 2
    Player4 folds.
    Player5 folds.
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (2)
    Player7 calls (2)
    Player8 folds.
    Player10 folds.
    Player1 folds.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (3)
    Player7 folds.
    Fnord calls (3)
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot checks.
    Fnord checks.
    BuysLotsOfPot bets (5)
    Fnord raises (10) to 10
    BuysLotsOfPot calls (5)
    ** Summary **
    awesome play right there
    awesome play right there
    awesome play right there
    awesome play right there
    awesome play right there
    awesome play right there
    Flopping a boat is fun.
    Flopping a boat is fun.
    Flopping a boat is fun.
    Flopping a boat is fun.
    Flopping a boat is fun.
    Flopping a boat is fun.

Default This goes well

Last night I'm playin in a home game, .50/1.00 dollar blinds. I have big slick, and on the board is a K and 2 Q's. The entire hand, the player before me, maybe the best player I've played against in person, has been betting pretty big at it.

We're somewhat shorthanded, so I think my K's full are probabley good. After the river comes blank, he puts out a bet of 7 dollars. I start staring at him, reaching for my chips to see how he will react ect. Well, the second time I reach for my chips, he leans back and sighs. Knowing that weak is strong, I fold.

Of course, he is on a stone cold bluff. I forgot that weak doesn't mean strong when the other player is also fully aware of these principals. I asked him about it, the lean back and sigh was complettely on purpose. I just had to laugh and tell him it was a good play.

Default This goes well

Last night I'm playin in a home game, .50/1.00 dollar blinds. I have big slick, and on the board is a K and 2 Q's. The entire hand, the player before me, maybe the best player I've played against in person, has been betting pretty big at it.

We're somewhat shorthanded, so I think my K's full are probabley good. After the river comes blank, he puts out a bet of 7 dollars. I start staring at him, reaching for my chips to see how he will react ect. Well, the second time I reach for my chips, he leans back and sighs. Knowing that weak is strong, I fold.

Of course, he is on a stone cold bluff. I forgot that weak doesn't mean strong when the other player is also fully aware of these principals. I asked him about it, the lean back and sigh was complettely on purpose. I just had to laugh and tell him it was a good play.

Default This goes well

Default This goes well

Default This goes well

Default This goes well

i had a boat check out on me.

I check / call the bettor on the turn (hit my boat then)

check the river, he checked it out.. argh !!!!